Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone her daily carry a Glock 30?

Anyone her daily carry a Glock 30?

Does anyone here daily carry a Glock 30 concealed?

I've had a longtime love affair with the Glock 21, but not much experience with a G30. I'm curious if the G30 with the 9-round magazine is a viable CCW option or if the fat slide just makes it too much of a pain.

I'm interested in hearing your experiences.

They were the issued pistol for the plainclothes deputies at my former department. Basically a fat lo-cap G19 that will pinch most pinkies during reloads and some pinkies during recoil. The shot soft, they were easy to service, and they had mag compatibility with our 21SFs.

If you can conceal a 19 and you dress for carry, a G30 might be fine. Just remember to keep your pinky out like you’re sipping tea when you reload.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

I did for a couple of months. As previously noted, the overall package is G19 sized, less width of the slide, grip, and spare magazines. I had no issues with the pistol or carrying it - it was my "winter" gun for a while, and I think it would make a pretty dandy "50 state gun" if you like Glocks and want a caliber other than 9mm.

For me the main issue with the pistol was the frame size was so much larger that it significantly worsened my left and low "Glockitis," especially when shooting under time pressure. I finally ditched the concept when I realized I was cutting my ammo on-hand by 33% for no return in shooting performance, and arguable return in effectiveness (actually a decrease, considering that shot placement trumps caliber).

I did, several years ago-the “30S” version of a G36 slide and bit slimmer frame. I had no issues with it, carrying it usually in a GLOCK “Sport Combat” holster(!) I know it’s not a hot setup, but it worked for me, OWB. The 30S, for me, seemed to handle better.
    I usually loaded 230 standard pressure loads (Winchester or Federal jhp), and shot 230 ball for practice. I think +P is wasted in a short barrel. I cannot recall a malfunction. Usually carried with the 10 round magazine, qualified with it, etc.
    I would not hesitate to carry it again.

Tried it for a while but the reload/pinky issue is real. If you try getting around it by using a G21 mag for reloads your left with a funky feeling grip. I suppose I could have gotten used to it if I had to but felt there were better options and sold the pistol.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Very briefly, and agree with the comments posted above. It's like a Glock 19 with some beef to it. Your ability to conceal it will depend on your body type. I am 5'10 and ~165lb so on the slimmer side, and it was too much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    Does anyone here daily carry a Glock 30 concealed? I've had a longtime love affair with the Glock 21, but not much experience with a G30. I'm curious if the G30 with the 9-round magazine is a viable CCW option or if the fat slide just makes it too much of a pain. I'm interested in hearing your experiences.
    Viable if you want it to be, but it's mostly just an obese G19.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I carried one for a few years. Ditto to the above comments. It carries like a slightly fatter Glock 19. The grip is the tiniest bit shorter than a 19.

Mine was a pre-SF 3rd generation. I shot it ok but, for all I liked about it, I was never totally enthusiastic about the fat grip.

The SF and later the Gen 4 made the grip much better. By the time those came out, I had settled on the Glock 19 instead.

I replaced the magazine base plates with Pearce and didn't have any problems with pinched pinkies.

Site Supporter
    Have you gone to the G21 for a duty weapon?

My G30 is the least reliable Glock I’ve owned. I had an RSO tell me to take it to the armorer at a GSSF Match and he declared a reshoot because the thing barfed so badly. Failures to feed.

The armorer replaced a lot of the parts (all OEM) because it is a very early Gen 3. I still don’t really trust it, and it’s a prime candidate to get sold.

It is a soft shooter but when you try to run it fast.....
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

User Tag List