Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive RDS for Ruger mkiii

Inexpensive RDS for Ruger mkiii

I have one of the Ruger mkiii models that has a rail top and bottom. It’s always just worn a Streamlight tlr2 Hl and I’ve used it at night on critters for years with a Gemtech suppressor attached. Now I’m hunting critters in the daytime and the laser isn’t getting it done as it disappears too easily. If I was doing it over again I’d buy a model with sights (I think at the time if I wanted threaded and a bottom rail this one with no irons was the only option, may or may not still be true), but it seems to me the less expensive option from where I’m at would be to install an inexpensive RDS.

Im looking for suggestions as to what to buy for it.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I have one of the Ruger mkiii models that has a rail top and bottom. It’s always just worn a Streamlight tlr2 Hl and I’ve used it at night on critters for years with a Gemtech suppressor attached. Now I’m hunting critters in the daytime and the laser isn’t getting it done as it disappears too easily. If I was doing it over again I’d buy a model with sights (I think at the time if I wanted threaded and a bottom rail this one with no irons was the only option, may or may not still be true), but it seems to me the less expensive option from where I’m at would be to install an inexpensive RDS.

Im looking for suggestions as to what to buy for it.
    I've had a Bushnell TRS-25 on top of my MKIII 22/45 for a couple years now. It's a bit tall, but does the job. If I were going to buy one right now, I'd get one of the inexpensive Swampfox (never used one, but they look good) or Holosun (have one) RDS models, mainly for smaller size and lower profile.

Chris

I have one of these on a MKII

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics...35&sr=8-3&th=1

I don't know much about the price range of red dots these days so no help on inexpensive. This is a very good dot for a pistol. I've had mine for a few years and thinking about another one for a carbine.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

On my MKIV I have a holosun 407c-gr, I think it is pretty great. Was under $175 when I bought it, not sure what prices look like right now.

I am also using a Maddmacs center mount to get the dot nice and low so it is a useful training tool for real pistols.

If you want to go cheaper I would look at Primary Arms.

Primary Arms on my 22/45 Lite

Name:  Ruger MKIV Lite.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  62.8 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I put a Burris Fastfire 3 in a dovetail mount on my CTM, it’s working well.

Name:  FE0DBD7A-1D31-4C3C-9A5E-47518751461E.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  104.1 KB
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I put a Burris Fastfire 3 in a dovetail mount on my CTM, it’s working well.

Name:  FE0DBD7A-1D31-4C3C-9A5E-47518751461E.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  104.1 KB
    Nice. Only $229
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-...nny-mount.html
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Would you use the Pic rail mount, or a lower one like I used? My mount is the one Burris makes, but I know there are other alternatives that don’t involve drilling - they use what is already there.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I have a Burris Fastfire III 8 MOA on my mkIII for speed steel shooting and it works fine. The autobrightness feature works and it has never lost zero through thousands of rounds. It sits on a pic rail since i wanted to preserve my iron sights too.

I suppose the only thing I dislike is the very small but perceptible magnification it has. It's like a 1.05x. Not a deal breaker for me

I'm sure there are better ones out there now but for what I use this mkIII for i don't really care

A basic Primary Arms Micro can be had for $90. I’d go (and have) that route. Name:  FC9E5F85-8062-4FDD-AE63-2064A1CDFC13.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  63.3 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List