Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Trijicon RMRcc

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Zen View Post
    It's just money.

But seriously, if you're putting that kind of money into this gun I suggest going that extra step and upgrade the irons. There's no practical gain to eliminating the rear dovetail and moving the RMR back that little bit.

I'm strongly dedicated to the idea of back up iron sights on a red dot equipped pistol for two reasons:

1. Yeah, in the unlikely case of the optic failing due to internal problems/damage/battery fail. Possible, but increasingly unlikely. I finally changed out the battery on a Type 1 RME after nearly five years. It was on auto adjust most of the time, and in my carry bag or under a shirt. Pretty impressive, though I would recommend yearly battery change out. That was my first RMR and an experiment.

2. Also 'cuz -- for me -- using the irons to index on and get that dot was a huge help to helping train my little monkey brain.

I've been shooting RMR'd Glocks for about five years and now I rarely use the irons, but on days I stumble they help me out. Most have at least a front tritium; my daily carry -- a G43 -- has both front and rear, just in case.

Also, to bust the myth, the Ameriglo suppressor height sights DO work on the G48 Brownells slide I have. There is very little room to adjust windage, but it's enough to zero the gun. See attached pix. Both the G48 and G43 have full size suppressor height sights. The G43's sights are MOS height 'cuz mounting a full-sized RMR required a cantilevered or tapered adapter plate and that adds to the height of the sight axis. It looks a bit weird, but it's a laser ... a teeny, tiny laser. Shoots way better than I'm capable, so I'm okay with it.

Aaron at Sage Dynamics did a find job 'splaining a lot about the RMRcc. It doesn't turn me on, but YMMV.

I'm gonna do one more, a factory G48X -- if I can find one -- and send it off to accept a Holosun 407K. Then I'm gonna stop before my wife files a cease and desist order.

Just my dos centavos.
    I generally agree, but the purpose if this would be to see how well I can work with a RDS only defensive pistol sans irons. I had a Seventrees Asp for a brief period in the early 80s, and put a lot of money into Silvertips to learn how to shoot it well. The Guttersnipe was basically a gross indexing tool, and I was happy to find that with practice I could reliably place hits at seven yards with it.

If a spare 43 or 48 slide pops up, I just might try this. And if I mill all the way to the rear, I could always send the slide back for a forward of sight mount dovetail if the idea crashes and burns. I know others do it, I want to see if I can.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

My RMRcc apparently came yesterday, but I didn’t see the box on the porch until this morning. As soon as the back-up irons come in, I’ll be sending it off to get milled. I’m looking forward to trying it out.

Not certain this is the specific thread to post this question, but I am curious about forum members' thoughts regarding red dot sights on an everyday carry pistol, and the need (or not) for BUIS. There has been quite a bit of discussion on the subject, but I cannot recall a compilation of the PF position(s) on this subject.

Perhaps a poll? (Is there an ROP for requesting or suggesting a poll?)

If I could have a currently available red dot optic on my primary everyday carry pistol, it would:

1. Definitely have BUIS, because I won't trust my life to the currently available optics and/or mounting systems

2. Not require BUIS, because the optic and mounting technologies available today are perfectly adequate for an EDC pistol

3. Not matter to me, because there is no way in Hell I want an optic (BUIS or not) on my EDC pistol

4. Who suggested this stupid poll?

I recently acquired my very first RDS (for a pistol) not that long ago. At first I thought the RMRcc was going to be it. After researching it and looking at my options I did not go that route. Price had zero bearing on the decision.

My choice after lots of comparing was the Holosun 507k.

My EDC pistol is a 365XL and what it boiled down to is a few things.

1. The holosun is a tank.
    2. I wasn't sure at all what kind of reticle I wanted. The three options on the Holosun are actually great in my opinion, especially for transitioning into RDS for the first time. That 32 moa ring actually does make it easier to pick up the dot.
    3. No adapter plate needed. Straight out of the box it fit perfectly.
    4. When you remove the plate from the 365xl the rear sight goes away as well. With the holosun the housing of the optic has a built in rear site that can be used for a backup in a pinch. This is not possible with the RMRcc.

Overall I am really glad I went the direction I did.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    Not certain this is the specific thread to post this question, but I am curious about forum members' thoughts regarding red dot sights on an everyday carry pistol, and the need (or not) for BUIS. There has been quite a bit of discussion on the subject, but I cannot recall a compilation of the PF position(s) on this subject.

If I could have a currently available red dot optic on my primary everyday carry pistol, it would:

1. Definitely have BUIS, because I won't trust my life to the currently available optics and/or mounting systems

2. Not require BUIS, because the optic and mounting technologies available today are perfectly adequate for an EDC pistol

3. Not matter to me, because there is no way in Hell I want an optic (BUIS or not) on my EDC pistol

I would pick 2), because I'm pretty confident I can make center-mass shots on a 8" circle out to around 7 yards using my Glock 48 with a target focused sight picture i.e. sans sights. I just put a 507c V2 on my Glock 34 for USPSA, and plan to move to a MRDS for my EDC G48 (non-MOS) "soon".

Site Supporter

Absolutely #1 with no other option for me. I place a high value and being able to consistently make a low percentage shot with the gun on my person. An 8" circle at 7 yards is nowhere good enough for me. If my dot goes down, I want Irons I know are zeroed with the same load the dot was.

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I recently acquired my very first RDS (for a pistol) not that long ago. At first I thought the RMRcc was going to be it. After researching it and looking at my options I did not go that route. Price had zero bearing on the decision.

My choice after lots of comparing was the Holosun 507k.

My EDC pistol is a 365XL and what it boiled down to is a few things.

1. The holosun is a tank.
    2. I wasn't sure at all what kind of reticle I wanted. The three options on the Holosun are actually great in my opinion, especially for transitioning into RDS for the first time. That 32 moa ring actually does make it easier to pick up the dot.
    3. No adapter plate needed. Straight out of the box it fit perfectly.
    4. When you remove the plate from the 365xl the rear sight goes away as well. With the holosun the housing of the optic has a built in rear site that can be used for a backup in a pinch. This is not possible with the RMRcc.

Overall I am really glad I went the direction I did.
    I have essentially the same setup, and made the choices for exactly the same reasons you mentioned. Except I went with the 407K because I strongly prefer the larger MOA dot.

Additionally, I have been shooting CZ Shadows with Trijicon SRO's on them in competition, and wanted a carry oriented, smaller optic to experiment with. So far, so good.

But I haven't bet my life on the 365XL/401K combo yet, and need more confidence in both of them before I can feel comfortable using them as EDC.

Currently working with Cajun Gun Works to explore options for mounting either a Holosun 407K or a Trijicon RMRcc on my CGW RAMI. I'm not sure the RMRcc will fit and allow BUIS, but they have already told me that the Holosun will.

Site Supporter

You are missing an option:

5. Not have separate BUIS because the body of the optic can be used for gross aiming at typical pistol ranges.

I’d be fine with this for personal, CCW purposes.

For Duty use I would want a back up sighting system, though that could be BUIS or a laser. If BUIS I want plain black as night sights or fiber optic distracts from use of the primary sighting system. I also do not want true co-witness BUIS. I want lower 1/3 to lower 1/4 co-witness. Once again because the back up sighting system should not distract from the primary sighting system.

Since you are the 1911 nut. I have a SA Operator with a factory mounted RMR. I like the gun very much but if putting another RDS on a 1911 I think I would rather use the RMRCC vs the other “standard width” RDS.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You are missing an option:

5. Not have separate BUIS because the body of the optic can be used for gross aiming at typical pistol ranges.

I’d be fine with this for personal, CCW purposes.

For Duty use I would want a back up sighting system, though that could be BUIS or a laser. If BUIS I want plain black as night sights or fiber optic distracts from use of the primary sighting system. I also do not want true co-witness BUIS. I want lower 1/3 to lower 1/4 co-witness. Once again because the back up sighting system should not distract from the primary sighting system.
    I agree that I missed an option. And will note that the 407K/507K Holosun (there are probably others) have a rudimentary notch built into the back of the housing that allows it to be used as a rear sight. So if you have a front sight on the pistol, perhaps this is just a "notch above" (pun intended) using just the optic body.

But I haven't bet my life on the 365XL/401K combo yet, and need more confidence in both of them before I can feel comfortable using them as EDC.
    I have a sample of one but I have at least a few thousand rounds downrange with my XL without a single malfunction.

As for the dot, John Lovell and Aaron Cowan both signed off on the 507k. I have the X2 version. I've been carrying it for a few months now and I have no reason to doubt it now. That's just me.

This is my first RDS for a pistol so I am still learning a lot. Sometimes I don't even fire. I will draw and acquire at random times just because. When my shot timer gets here I will start keeping track of actual times.

At first I was all for going with a 3 MOA dot but now I'm glad I got what I did. The center dot is 3.25moa and the outer ring is 32moa.

I can toggle through any combination I want. That 32 moa ring though is great to learn on. Sort of like training wheels for the new guy. That ring at 10 yards (32 MOA) is right around 3 inches which is plenty sufficient for carry. I run mine with the circle and dot so I can get a lot more precise if need be.

Later on after I get used to the dot on a pistol thing I might have a different opinion but for now I like it a lot.

User Tag List