Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Trijicon RMRcc

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I generally agree, but the purpose if this would be to see how well I can work with a RDS only defensive pistol sans irons. I had a Seventrees Asp for a brief period in the early 80s, and put a lot of money into Silvertips to learn how to shoot it well. The Guttersnipe was basically a gross indexing tool, and I was happy to find that with practice I could reliably place hits at seven yards with it.

If a spare 43 or 48 slide pops up, I just might try this. And if I mill all the way to the rear, I could always send the slide back for a forward of sight mount dovetail if the idea crashes and burns. I know others do it, I want to see if I can.
    Name:  ASP-9mm-Auto-Pistol.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  27.2 KB

Well heck, you should have said that in the first place. I lusted after an ASP when I was a kid. I would have settled for the Devel version like what Col. Rex Appelgate had. I thought I was going to be the next Paris Theodore back then. Good times.

So yeah, I get it. In my little monkey brain I often compare my RMR'd G43 to the ol' ASP. Just imagine what all those old timers would think if they could see what's available today.

Oddly, someone today, I think it's the Springfield Hellcat, has a sight kinda like the old Guttersnipe, only they use fiber optics instead of gold plating or paint or whatever. What's old is new again, it seems.

Good luck on your project. I've a few like that myself. I'd love to take one of my old pre-war Colt Woodsmans and fit it with an integral suppressor, or at least thread it for something like a Dead Air Mask. I also have a couple of Beretta 71 "Mossad pistols" that wear a can. So again, yeah, I get it.

I bet you still had that ASP.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Zen View Post
    Name:  ASP-9mm-Auto-Pistol.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  27.2 KB

Oddly, someone today, I think it's the Springfield Hellcat, has a sight kinda like the old Guttersnipe, only they use fiber optics instead of gold plating or paint or whatever. What's old is new again, it seems.
    It’s the SIG P365 SAS and it is still inferior to conventional sights.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It’s the SIG P365 SAS and it is still inferior to conventional sights.
    A friend has a SAS, and I find it very shootable. Yes, it’s not as good as conventional sights - but it’s fast and accurate enough for self defense.

I put a few hundred rounds through it, and could see it working for me.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

A friend has a SAS, and I find it very shootable. Yes, it’s not as good as conventional sights - but it’s fast and accurate enough for self defense.

... which is why we have so many options.

Yeah, the SAS ... I get'em mixed up, there's so many out now. Our local shop had a couple ... I told the guys about how it mimics the old Guttersnipe system, got a lot of blank stares. I thought it was interesting, but I'm focusing (get it, focusing?) on red dots. Also, I'm not crazy about those little Sigs, but that's just me. Go for it.

Since 1973 when I joined Uncle Sugar's Army and carried a 1911 as an MP, I've gone from crappy issue sights to the first days of milling and adding irons to three dot, two dot, Express Big dot and now RMRs. My son loves three dot, I hate'em. I love RMRs, other people bitch about the price, then go out and buy more guns that they don't shoot ... whatever makes ya happy, I say.

Politics aside, we are living in a golden age of firearms innovation.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You are missing an option:

5. Not have separate BUIS because the body of the optic can be used for gross aiming at typical pistol ranges.

I’d be fine with this for personal, CCW purposes.

For Duty use I would want a back up sighting system, though that could be BUIS or a laser. If BUIS I want plain black as night sights or fiber optic distracts from use of the primary sighting system. I also do not want true co-witness BUIS. I want lower 1/3 to lower 1/4 co-witness. Once again because the back up sighting system should not distract from the primary sighting system.

Since you are the 1911 nut. I have a SA Operator with a factory mounted RMR. I like the gun very much but if putting another RDS on a 1911 I think I would rather use the RMRCC vs the other “standard width” RDS.

and missed option 6 — have a BUG with iron sights
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Once a gutter . . . no more

I had a Colt New Agent with the gutter/trench sight. The only way I could shoot it reasonably well was by just indexing the gun. Trying to "sight" using the gutter just wouldn't work for me, at least beyond "spitting distance".

Apologies if I posted this before, but here is what Ned Christiansen did to fix it. Milled the slide top, leaving just a bit at the muzzle to place (via longitudinal dovetail and cross pins) the FO sight (Ned made it from scratch, with both the vertical and horizontal "light windows"). And he added his Shield Driver rear sight. (And some other stuff).

Nice gun now. Very nice!

Site Supporter

Lots of things “can work” but it doesn’t make them a good idea.

Primary Arms has a sale going on the 6.5 moa RMRcc for a heck of a deal right now ($429.99)... if you click the Primary Arms link at the top of the page and go find it, pistol-forum gets a cut...

Just saying...

(I have no affiliation with PA or Trijicon, FWIW)

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Primary Arms has a sale going on the 6.5 moa RMRcc for a heck of a deal right now ($429.99)... if you click the Primary Arms link at the top of the page and go find it, pistol-forum gets a cut...

Just saying...

(I have no affiliation with PA or Trijicon, FWIW)
    Back to $580 already apparently. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by tlong17 View Post
    Back to $580 already apparently. Too bad.
    Yeah, it was a "flash sale"... there was 16 hours left on the clock when I posted it. Heck of a deal, IMHO... for anyone who snagged one.

User Tag List