Page 7 of 62 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus® Defender 856 38 SPECIAL +P

Site Supporter
    Currently trying to find a decent holster for it.

Regarding the 856, it has been flawless so far. That might be because I haven't shot it yet, but still!

Would the steel Rock Island 38 be in this fight?

https://www.armscor.com/firearms/ria...06-38-special/

Bigger and heavier, but does carry six for kicks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DueSpada View Post

Looks like it's trying to be a Colt Dick Spl, with a different hammer profile and a shrouded ejector. Heavier and uglier makes it a no go for me but that's just my $.02 worth.

Dave

I've got a snub-nosed S&W six shooter on my belt right now and still plan to pick up a spurless 856 when things settle down. Think the steel framed model would be fun to vet, regulate the sights if necessary, and set aside with a handful of social ammo, 150 rounds range ammo, enough support gear (holster, cleaning, tooth brush, loading devices, etc.), flashlight, knife, and lockbox as a loaner for someone in need the next time the simulation glitches. Saving fifty dollars buys the lockbox, flashlight, and knife to keep the project affordable.

It's not a high round count application and puts any warranty service on the front end to ultimately have a capable hot spare. It's not a usage with harsh firing schedules. More like running the recipient through HeadHunter's 50-round snub revolver class structure and leave them with practice drills live and dry to use the remaining 100 rounds to remain a "serious threat to a standard piece of landscape oriented typing paper from contact to seven yards" as a mashup of Ed Lovette and Claude Werner might say.

I parted with some Smiths and most GLOCKs during this riotous plandemic and need to refill the excess inventory before the next apocalypse. Keeping an eye out for used Model 10s and eyeing the new Taurii is an attainable goal.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Pretty much what Lester Polfus said. Taurus has always made cool and desirable revolvers but as of late they may possibly be making an attempt to get the quality up where it should be.
    Someone else can go first.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

When they first started showing up, I found one at Scheels I sort of liked, though it was the first run of the 2" models before we heard about the 3". It was maybe a bit smoother than the Taurus 85 I pawned that had the threads in the frame for the barrel drilled at a bit of an angle so that it shot 3" left up close. Taurus customer service was talking like it was about in spec and since I'd had it more than 3 months, I'd have to pay shipping with no guarantee they would fix anything. It was later that a sharp eyed lgs spotted the barrel veering off a wee bit to the left. Thing is, it shot decent groups and a Wolff mainspring didn't cause any misfires. The trigger return spring in the kit was useless though and wouldn't even allow the gun to cycle.

I just pawned it rather than let customer service drive me nuts. Then came the 856. The one in the counter at Scheels did feel decent, so I returned later that week only to find it gone. They brought out all they had, maybe 6 or 7 and I honestly couldn't find one with a nice trigger that still had a perfectly unclocked barrel. So, it was forget about it time.

Now a nice 3" that passed inspection could tempt me again. I always did like my wife's 3" pinned 36 and now really regret ever having traded it off. Back then, concealed carry was barely even a dream here in Illinois. In all steel it probably would hold steadier for me than the 19 ounce Bulldog does out past 15 yards. But, by the time ammo is back in stock along with the models to choose from again, I'll probably be too old to need it anymore.

I had an 856 for a while, accurate, reliable, good extraction, 500 rounds no issues. Waiting for ultra lite.

They are trying. Like the pinned front sight, windage rear!! 6 rounds. I had an older 94 that hinestly was mor accurate and had more reliable extraction than my S&Ws!

Can’t wait to try an Ultralite 942 .22WMR.

I mean honest to God , I think pre covid / Biden they were like 275.00

Site Supporter
    Someone brought one of these to a snubby class Ellifritz taught this spring. Like brought it, took it out of the box for the first time, and it ran.

I got to shoot it during the 'show and tell' portion at the end of class and I was impressed. I think Greg handled it early in the day, by the time I got my hands on it 250+ trigger presses later I thought the trigger was pretty decent.

The opinion of some of the old Colt guys in the class was that it looked like it would fit in leather for old school DSs. The guy in class ended up with a sausage sack because that was all he could find.

Doing a google search for street price I found some holsters listed on Amazon. Didn't find any of the guns in stock anywhere. But pre-panic they were selling for $220-250.

Quote Originally Posted by DueSpada View Post

'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

You took one for the team. Now you just need to scrounge some ammo an shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    The shit in the batter thing is hilarious!

Looks like it’s my turn to go first.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    I've got a snub-nosed S&W six shooter on my belt right now and still plan to pick up a spurless 856 when things settle down. Think the steel framed model would be fun to vet, regulate the sights if necessary, and set aside with a handful of social ammo, 150 rounds range ammo, enough support gear (holster, cleaning, tooth brush, loading devices, etc.), flashlight, knife, and lockbox as a loaner for someone in need the next time the simulation glitches. Saving fifty dollars buys the lockbox, flashlight, and knife to keep the project affordable.

It's not a high round count application and puts any warranty service on the front end to ultimately have a capable hot spare. It's not a usage with harsh firing schedules. More like running the recipient through HeadHunter's 50-round snub revolver class structure and leave them with practice drills live and dry to use the remaining 100 rounds to remain a "serious threat to a standard piece of landscape oriented typing paper from contact to seven yards" as a mashup of Ed Lovette and Claude Werner might say.
    Swung by my favorite death merchant to say hi, root through his box of sundry accessories, and maybe grab some ammo. Left with some ammo, new old stock H&R shotgun/carbine barrel set with mated receiver, and a lightly used matte stainless 856. The front sight is already pink courtesy the previous owner, needs a kydex AIWB baked over the weekend but a janky leather Galco gunsock will do for now, and Safariland Comp IIs for my K-frames are serviceable. I should be able to go run a box through it, tomorrow. See how it likes my junk handloads from using up garbage 158 grain LFN.

Plan:

1. Cold drill - Five Yard Round-Up (10rd)

2. Head back to 25 yards for three rounds of slowfire on a B-8 to check point of impact. (13rd)

3. If POI is agreeable, run through the course of fire from a nearby police handgun qualification as it is revolver neutral (49rd)

4. If I don't need that last round to sort out a particularly unserviceable handload, load it Russian roulette style and do low ready presentations until it pops at seven yards. (50rd)

As a mechanical note, the gun is a factory spurless model and true DAO for lack of a single-action sear. The hammer has no lock as a nice bonus. It is a hair shorter front-to-back than my 2" model 10 even with the covered backstrap. Height is also shorter by a more pronounced but still minor degree. The cylinder is a bit shorter in length and hair thinner. Trigger is fine but for hitch at the point the cylinder stop does its thing. Feels like it won't be a real issue in livefire, however. Along those lines, the stocks are hideous but feel like they may work out alright. Fixing to find out.

User Tag List