Page 58 of 62 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus® Defender 856 38 SPECIAL +P

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    It really depends on which front sight you get - the ones with Ameriglo sights tend to shoot the 130gr FMJ really well, and the ramped sight models shoot closer with 158s. But also these factors vary depending on your gun.
    My Talo Defender with the Ameriglo sight shoots 130’s/110’s low. It shoots 158+p’s to the sights.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    My wolf spring kit showed up in Thursday's mail and I put the hammer spring in Friday leaving the Galloway trigger spring installed, thinking I'd try one of the Wolf trigger spring's if / as needed. It was 18 degrees and snowing but, I've run another 70rds of mixed ammo, Fiocchi 130gr fmj, Federal GM WC, Delta Precision WC,S&B 158gr fmj and a few Lost River WC, all went off first time around and, the Defender's a shooter. At 7 yd's the 158's shoot to the sight's pretty well, the 130's impact maybe 1.5" low at that distance but if you drive the dot, they're on, damn they shoot tight cluster's if I do my part, as mentioned above, too bad there's no proven carry load in that weight range, I've been reading the Hydra Shok Deep looks pretty good but? The Wolf spring brought the trigger to a bit over 10lb's with the Galloway trigger spring which is heavier than with the Galloway hammer spring but, if it keep's going bang every time that's a big plus. I've gotta say, at first, I thought the stock trigger sucked, a ton of dry fire and a fair number of live fire improved it drastically, I'm kind of on the fence as to whether I'll go back to the factory hammer spring with the lighter trigger spring, it was a little under 12lb's with a positive, smooth trigger...I'll see what happens with more round's through the gun.
    In the cold and snow, pretty much everything was in the B8's black with about 70% in the 10 ring and ringing a 10" plate at 12-15 yd's. So far, so good, the Defender's an accurate, fun gun to shoot and could prove to be a good carry gun.

Site Supporter
    Well...after 100 or so round's and a bunch of dry fire with the Wolf spring I started getting light
    strikes again, using the same Precision Delta 148 WC, Fiocchi 130gr FMJ and a few Lost River WC.
    Since putting the stock spring back in, after more dry fire and another 100+ rounds of the same
    ammo, no light strikes...perfect function and the trigger's settled in nice and smooth, just under 11lb,
    largely improved from out of the box.
    I guess the tolerances of this gun wouldn't work well once the am springs took a set.

Quote Originally Posted by D-der View Post
    My wolf spring kit showed up in Thursday's mail and I put the hammer spring in Friday leaving the Galloway trigger spring installed, thinking I'd try one of the Wolf trigger spring's if / as needed. It was 18 degrees and snowing but, I've run another 70rds of mixed ammo, Fiocchi 130gr fmj, Federal GM WC, Delta Precision WC,S&B 158gr fmj and a few Lost River WC, all went off first time around and, the Defender's a shooter. At 7 yd's the 158's shoot to the sight's pretty well, the 130's impact maybe 1.5" low at that distance but if you drive the dot, they're on, damn they shoot tight cluster's if I do my part, as mentioned above, too bad there's no proven carry load in that weight range, I've been reading the Hydra Shok Deep looks pretty good but
    The Remington 158 gr lhp (FBI load) works well except in 2 inch snubs and obviously not that well through barriers. It needs a minimum velocity of about 820 fps to work well and SW and Ruger 3 inch 38s can usually attain that velocity easily but I have found velocities in Taurus revolvers to vary considerably.

Light primer strikes and Taurus small frame revolvers and even some larger framed Tauri go hand in hand in my experience. I've even sent some back to the factory without any success. Consider yourself lucky that the factory spring is working for you. Sometimes new factory hammer springs from Taurus even made things worse for me and never solved the light strike problems.

I'm late to the game but I'll play. Used "unfired", but powder flakes fell out when I got it home and worked it over.

Is this SP101 holster still the preferred holster for the 3" 856?

https://www.roundedgear.com/collecti...kydex-holsters

Quote Originally Posted by onehalfmvsquared View Post

Personally I would get the Dark Star Gear holster from Taurus. I recently got one and really like it. I have a few Dark Star Gear holsters for other guns and they have all been well designed and comfortable to wear.

Wade

https://shoptaurus.com/new-items/dar...frame-revolver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by defilade View Post
    Personally I would get the Dark Star Gear holster from Taurus. I recently got one and really like it. I have a few Dark Star Gear holsters for other guns and they have all been well designed and comfortable to wear.

Wade

https://shoptaurus.com/new-items/dar...frame-revolver
    Phlster also has a version for the 856 Toro - I can't see why it wouldn't work for a non-optic gun as well.

Quote Originally Posted by onehalfmvsquared View Post

All those, and JM Custom Kydex now makes for the 856.

This is their AIWB, and is in every day use.

Name:  IMG_20231124_193444318.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  44.5 KB

I bought this :

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1173969...barrel-whammer

ETSY, before any of the big boys had started making a holster for the 856.
    It's not perfect, but carries tight and rides well.
    . I ditched the stupid hammer thingy, and the clip, and instead use a soft loop.
    . Added a MM pillow on the back.
    It rides tight enough to hide the grip as well.

Name:  IMG_20231125_143242362.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  25.2 KB
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List