Page 43 of 62 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus® Defender 856 38 SPECIAL +P

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I confess to being a little surprised at those of you who want a perfectly aligned sight picture on a gun of this type.

Now don't get me wrong, I was taught by Jeff Cooper (among others) to always used the sights as they confirm proper presentation and alignment. But for me this would be a "git off me" gun. If you had the luxury of bringing this gun up to eye level it's still a "put the colored part in the middle" kind of aiming strategy.

For get off me distances of say 3-5 yards I train to put the bight colored sight on the bottom "V" of the ribs or there abouts and fire a few for effect. If you're well practiced you might just crack the sternum with a round or two, which is a pretty good "get off me" statement.

Just sayin',
    Dave
    These past 2 years have really caused me to try to assume nothing about what my fight might look like. I simply do not know what I might be required to do in order to prevail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post

Question: Is anybody doing real action work on these things as is commonly done on Smiths? Or is it just a case of apply manly strength to a stock action? Or put in limber springs and hope they are enough to overcome the Factory Friction?
    I just put a set of Galloway springs in mine and I'm not going to do anything else. It's about 8 or 9# and smooth. Reset is good. I have 729 rounds total through mine.

Okay gents. I did some testing and here are my opinions:

1. Snub revolver sights can be variable for elevation depending on the power and weight of the cartridge. “One size fits none” come to mind since ammunition can be quite variable.

2. Three flat across assumes that the ammunition will hit to that elevation at that distance. Which is a big assumption.

3. I just tested in darkness with this sight and it turns out it’s appropriate if you use it “properly.” It’s only a single tritium… which means if the full tritium is up in the notch it looks the same as it would out of the notch….

Behold.

Name:  E925D7CD-B7BD-4BBC-B06C-0A75411DFB3A.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  5.7 KB

Full tritium visible.

But whoops!

Name:  1E1A08D3-C0D5-45D2-9373-BAD57A4024EB.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  12.9 KB

Wasn’t in the notch.

Looks the same as this…

Name:  139E968F-A846-4E00-AA0A-9970EB7B7063.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  5.1 KB

Which is in the notch…

Name:  2B0C912F-FE62-4917-B284-8855DBFC5AF3.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  9.8 KB

But with motion if I can see the tritium partially shield from below and / or shield from the sides, I know I’m actually on target. So I’m not looking to see the whole tritium… because then I can’t tell it from being out of the notch in very low light.

Check this out. With the tritium just peeking into the notch at 10 yards aiming at the head and with a green Wheeler laser on the muzzle…

Name:  FA315F8E-9115-49CA-ADC5-3655C26C9882.jpg
Size:  23.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    That night sight dot is too low in the sight and I'm not a fan of the orange inside black outline. I'd rather just paint the standard sight orange.
    Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    I called Taurus on that very thing.
    Their "answer' was that it was very much engineered as a sight for point shooting in dark environments.
    Where is the dot supposed to be in the sight picture? In the image above, it's half obscured by the bottom of the gutter in the frame. Would be almost completely obscured if the top of the post was level with the edges of the gutter. If tops of everything aligned is a correct sight picture, then raising the dot so it's fully visible will have you shooting high. Especially with the barrel length of a snubby.
    Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Yes, in a 'normal' sight picture, when all 3 flats are aligned, the tritium is obscured.

In a dark environment, when aligning the black fixed rear with the front, it's a bit "different".
    My point I guess, is that if you point at the intended target in the dark, you'll at least see the tritium.

Was it Defoor who had designed a sight of similar?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    It seems like you would hit pretty high to me. It wouldn't be the first time Taurus has had a great idea with flawed execution. As a friend of mine once said, Taurus assembles all the right ingredients to bake a great cake, then takes a shit in the batter.

It sounds like maybe they improving though.
    You never know what you're going to need to do with the gun. Having sights that enable you to get hits at 10-25 yards doesn't impair the utility of the gun as a get-off-me, but sights that are really only useful for get-off-me but don't work well at 10-25 yards will be a problem if you need to shoot something at 10-25 yards.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    These past 2 years have really caused me to try to assume nothing about what my fight might look like. I simply do not know what I might be required to do in order to prevail.
    Bill,

I agree, which is why I don't carry one of these guns (small frame 2" 5-6 shot). My carry gun is a 386 NG with an adjustable rear sight. The factory 'no snag' rear was as JCN said, "One size fits none." The sights on the 386 are now regulated to the ammo I carry.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Said and did a bunch of smart stuff with pictures and LASERS
    Well, there you go meeting my speculation with actual empirical stuff...

Cool.

I don't think I want any more guns, but I'm not totally discounting the Taurus like I would have in the past.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter

Taurus[emoji2400] Defender 856 38 SPECIAL +P

Bill,

I agree, which is why I don't carry one of these guns (small frame 2" 5-6 shot). My carry gun is a 386 NG with an adjustable rear sight. The factory 'no snag' rear was as JCN said, "One size fits none." The sights on the 386 are now regulated to the ammo I carry.

Dave
    I doubt I could name a better revolver setup than this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I just put a set of Galloway springs in mine and I'm not going to do anything else. It's about 8 or 9# and smooth. Reset is good. I have 729 rounds total through mine.
    I did the Galloway spring kit as well. My DA pull is about the same but very smooth.
    While I had the side plate off, I polished all the contact points with Mas metal polish and a felt dremel pad at a low speed.

It's been 100% reliable with any ammo since the springs were installed.
    Over 1200 rounds now.

I have yet to get any speed-loaders yet, but have some strips that are half moon shaped that work well, but not quick.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Okay gents. I did some testing and here are my opinions:

1. Snub revolver sights can be variable for elevation depending on the power and weight of the cartridge. “One size fits none” come to mind since ammunition can be quite variable.

2. Three flat across assumes that the ammunition will hit to that elevation at that distance. Which is a big assumption.

3. I just tested in darkness with this sight and it turns out it’s appropriate if you use it “properly.” It’s only a single tritium… which means if the full tritium is up in the notch it looks the same as it would out of the notch….

Behold.

Name:  E925D7CD-B7BD-4BBC-B06C-0A75411DFB3A.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  5.7 KB

Full tritium visible.

But whoops!

Name:  1E1A08D3-C0D5-45D2-9373-BAD57A4024EB.jpg
Size:  12.9 KB

Wasn’t in the notch.

Looks the same as this…

Name:  139E968F-A846-4E00-AA0A-9970EB7B7063.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  5.1 KB

Which is in the notch…

Name:  2B0C912F-FE62-4917-B284-8855DBFC5AF3.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  9.8 KB

But with motion if I can see the tritium partially shield from below and / or shield from the sides, I know I’m actually on target. So I’m not looking to see the whole tritium… because then I can’t tell it from being out of the notch in very low light.

Check this out. With the tritium just peeking into the notch at 10 yards aiming at the head and with a green Wheeler laser on the muzzle…

Name:  FA315F8E-9115-49CA-ADC5-3655C26C9882.jpg
Size:  23.2 KB
    Well done.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I doubt I could name a better revolver setup than this one.
    Dave, nice! Would you post a picture of your night guard? I love those guns.

I have an N frame set up for playing around, cut for 9mm moons.

Name:  E00CFCCC-7814-43A1-A8B1-46CACF50646D.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  40.8 KB

Name:  31956CE7-2F7D-4CE8-AB0F-B7DC9A15E62C.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  68.5 KB

What I did on some of my J frame type things with non adjustable sights was either mark the front, file it down or pick ammo that shoots to POA.

Or use one of the Big Dot glue on sights.

Name:  EB48FD9A-F32A-4341-BC9D-792C9EEEB0DA.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  30.8 KB

Name:  E02517FB-D80C-47C1-BCE6-5505EF904205.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  31.7 KB

Name:  5B97CE2D-7D3A-4518-9318-977C09C2504D.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  23.1 KB

I tried shooting with the tritium dot. Using the top of the iron front sight had me hitting the center of the down zero of an IDPA target at 7 yards. Raising the front sight until I could see the tritium dot had me hitting the head of the IDPA target at 7 yards. I wish they had put the tritium dot at the top of the sight like they should have.

My 856 Ultra-Lite came yesterday. It's broke. The cylinder binds on a couple of chambers. It's now headed back to Taurus for repair and they are paying for shipping.

User Tag List