Page 24 of 62 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus® Defender 856 38 SPECIAL +P

Site Supporter
    Shot my 856 today. The range table was a mess and I had a click, so I dumped the empty rounds from the cylinder. Saw one live round amongst all my brass, but it did not have a primer strike. My assumption is that a live round fell out of my bag, because I probably fired about 40 rounds with no issues. Not a lot, but for the purpose it fills, it seems to work well.

Not to mention the gun was dirty from the last session. If Taurus starts producing consistent, decent, and affordable revolvers of the long haul, I will be more than happy. Is it' odd I like the way the Taurus M82 looks?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Shot my 856 today. The range table was a mess and I had a click, so I dumped the empty rounds from the cylinder. Saw one live round amongst all my brass, but it did not have a primer strike. My assumption is that a live round fell out of my bag, because I probably fired about 40 rounds with no issues. Not a lot, but for the purpose it fills, it seems to work well.

Not to mention the gun was dirty from the last session. If Taurus starts producing consistent, decent, and affordable revolvers of the long haul, I will be more than happy. Is it' odd I like the way the Taurus M82 looks?
    Thanks for the update.

Liking the looks of the Model 82 is not odd at all. I wish there were more fixed sight 4" .38 Special Only and .357 Magnum revolvers on the market. I sure would like to see S&W bring back the Model 64 and 619 with single piece barrels, like the Model 10 Classic has. With that said, the Model 82 should have a stainless brother and a half lug barrel. Full lug barrels (with the exception of the Python, Diamondback, and three inch Detective Specials) are the devil.

All of these reviews, along with that perfect D frame size, are making this mighty tempting.

ETA: Taurus should also offer a 4" fixed sight 856. That would be like a budget Police Positive Special.
    Last edited by JWintergreen; 06-24-2021 at 08:53 PM.

I got the chance to handle three of these this week on a road trip to KY/Southern IN. Feels good in the hand, but the action on all three is DECIDEDLY Taurus-ish. I've felt some rough S&W actions over the years, but, Dayummm. Don't even get me started on comparing it to my LCR's trigger...

Still might have to grab one as a beater/training revolver.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I got the chance to handle three of these this week on a road trip to KY/Southern IN. Feels good in the hand, but the action on all three is DECIDEDLY Taurus-ish. I've felt some rough S&W actions over the years, but, Dayummm. Don't even get me started on comparing it to my LCR's trigger...

Still might have to grab one as a beater/training revolver.

It's not the best, but it has many other features I want. Good size, six shoots, DAO with bobbed external hammer to thumb, easy enough to shoot.

Better sights and a bit better trigger would be my only two real requests. Oh, that and long term reliability/durability.

It's not the best, but it has many other features I want. Good size, six shoots, DAO with bobbed external hammer to thumb, easy enough to shoot.

Better sights and a bit better trigger would be my only two real requests. Oh, that and long term reliability/durability.

This is what I am looking for in a carry revolver as well. I am wanting to switch from a medium frame revolver to a D frame size revolver. However, I cannot find the one that is "just right." I have discussed things that bug me about Charter, Kimber, and Colt's offerings. I am also tired of waiting year after year for Ruger to make the SP101 the small frame six shooter it should have been from day one. At this point, I can put up with a gritty action if it goes bang when I pull the trigger.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JWintergreen View Post
    This is what I am looking for in a carry revolver as well. I am wanting to switch from a medium frame revolver to a D frame size revolver. However, I cannot find the one that is "just right." I have discussed things that bug me about Charter, Kimber, and Colt's offerings. I am also tired of waiting year after year for Ruger to make the SP101 the small frame six shooter it should have been from day one. At this point, I can put up with a gritty action if it goes bang when I pull the trigger.

Did you ever do the contact the CEO thing at Ruger?

Did you ever do the contact the CEO thing at Ruger?
    Oh yes.

I am trying to get as many people to do it as possible.

At this point I am ready to buy a 1974 Dodge Monaco, slap a loud speaker on top of that badboy, and circle Ruger headquaters whilst making my case Blues Brothers style.

If there is anyone else that would like to see a proper six shot .38/.357 SP101, please let Ruger know via their "Tell the CEO" feature.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JWintergreen View Post
    Oh yes.

I am trying to get as many people to do it as possible.

At this point I am ready to buy a 1974 Dodge Monaco, slap a loud speaker on top of that badboy, and circle Ruger headquaters whilst making my case Blues Brothers style.

If there is anyone else that would like to see a proper six shot .38/.357 SP101, please let Ruger know via their "Tell the CEO" feature.

Would making it .38 special only make any difference size wise?

Would making it .38 special only make any difference size wise?
    A .38 only version could have a slightly shorter cylinder, which would reduce weight a little. However, I am not sure if it would be enough to notice. I believe that the current .38 only version (model no. 5737) actually uses a .357 length cylinder. Ruger has been known to do that on other revolvers (I believe they did this on .38 only GPs) to save money. Although a .357 version would sell better (and compete with the King Cobra/K6S), my ideal version would be a .38 Only. Hopefully, if they do this (and they should) they will offer one or two .38 Only variants.

ETA: If they did try to slim the frame up it would make folks question why there is no .357 version. Some folks want EVERY revolver to be chambered in .357. Tis the curse of the "great versatility" argument. Heck, Taurus will probably end up offering a slightly larger D frame sized 605. The SP101 already has a beefy forcing cone and a thick topstrap. They should keep these features to offer a counterpart to the new small frame King Cobra and Kimber K6S. Making a slightly slimmer .38 only frame would cost more money for not a lot of weight loss. Rasing the frame height a hair and adding roughly 0.05" in cylinder diameter will not really add any noticeable weight. Heck, it might even make the guns more secure in off the shelf holsters, as most companies just market Colt D frame holsters as SP101 holsters anyway.
    Last edited by JWintergreen; 06-25-2021 at 08:35 PM.

I've reached 300 rounds of bullseye slow fire thru the 856.
    Not a single misfire.
    Double action is still stiff, but has gotten smoother.
    The "Premium" brand grips are pretty nice, not a ton if checkering,but certainly enough for the range. I'm considering using an electric scribe, or a wood burner point to etch a bit more bite into the wood, or, perhaps a wrap of tape. Recoil is absolutely manageable throughout the spectrum of 38 special and +P loads I've put thru it. For the $325 I have into it, plus grips, I'm pleased.

I'm still looking for a good holster. Purchased the Taurus convertible kydex, but the retention is miserable. Bought a Tagua 3 slot thumb break holster for a SP101 thinking it would work, it fits, but unless the holster is under belt tension, it fits loose.....perhaps a leather holster for a J in 3" would fit better.

Overall, I'm pleased with this gun, and believe that if I chose to carry it in some capacity, it would operate fine.
    Believe that I will try that spring set spoken of a few pages back, to see if it brings the DA pull weight down.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List