Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus® Defender 856 38 SPECIAL +P

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    How many rounds do you have through it?

I found a blued DAO 856 I really wanted. Two concerns though.

There was paint missing in a spot or two, and the trigger felt off on a chamber or two.

If I could be convinced that the trigger issue I felt was me and not the gun, then I would get it. The paint issue is a non issue for me, but combined with the trigger thing, it made me ponder the quality of QC.

I’m not a revolver expert by any means, I’m largely ignorant of them in a mechanical sense. So I hope the trigger is ok and I just don’t know what I’m doing.

For me, it is as close as anything to the perfect revolver currently being made.
    Right around 1000 rounds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    Right around 1000 rounds
    That’s a good sign!

Of course the problem now is finding .38 ammo. At least in my area.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There was paint missing in a spot or two, and the trigger felt off on a chamber or two.

If I could be convinced that the trigger issue I felt was me and not the gun, then I would get it. The paint issue is a non issue for me, but combined with the trigger thing, it made me ponder the quality of QC.

I’m not a revolver expert by any means, I’m largely ignorant of them in a mechanical sense. So I hope the trigger is ok and I just don’t know what I’m doing.
    The trigger can definitely vary from chamber to chamber if the ratchet/star is not fitted the same for each one. Something a competent smith may be able to clean up, but I don't know how many of them work on Tauruses. Of course, due to what that would do to the price of the thing, it may be something for the careful and competent DIYer to take a chance on.

Or, as should be done with S&Ws and Rugers, find a brick and mortar place with plenty of inventory and pick the best one.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 09-03-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The trigger can definitely vary from chamber to chamber if the ratchet/star is not fitted the same for each one. Something a competent smith may be able to clean up, but I don't know how many of them work on Tauruses. Of course. Due to what that would do to the price of the thing, it may be something for the careful and competent DIYer to take a chance on.

Or, as should be done with S&Ws and Rugers, find a brick and mortar place with plenty of inventory and pick the best one.

Are there any issues that can come from that besides inconsistent trigger pull?

It really is a great set up for a revolver. The Colt Night Cobra is as well, but from what I’ve read, I’m not sure Colt QC is much better and I feel like repair wait times would be much longer.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If the difference is due to binding and insufficient clearances, it could lead to excessive wear of other components. Roughness can also be due to burrs, which accelerate wear on rubbing surfaces.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Olong,

If you know of a brick and mortar place with a good inventory please tell us. Haven't seen one of those in months.

Dave

Name:  3C1D408A-7CB4-4067-A292-A6A042BAE6A8.jpg
Views: 1493
Size:  105.6 KB

I picked mine up a few days ago .. on my scale weighs 15oz ... I really like the grips

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    Name:  3C1D408A-7CB4-4067-A292-A6A042BAE6A8.jpg
Views: 1493
Size:  105.6 KB

I picked mine up a few days ago .. on my scale weighs 15oz ... I really like the grips

Have you shot it yet? Does it seem to be well made?

Have you shot it yet? Does it seem to be well made?
    Im down in my back as of now awaiting insurances OK for a epidural .. hadn’t been able to make it to the range .. fit and finish seems really good .. tight lock up

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    Im down in my back as of now awaiting insurances OK for a epidural .. hadn’t been able to make it to the range .. fit and finish seems really good .. tight lock up
    Did they delete the internal lock on your version?

I’m not sure how much longer I can resist one of these.

User Tag List