Page 12 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus® Defender 856 38 SPECIAL +P

Honest wear from use and holsters is acceptable...
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I was thinking more along the lines of breaking the edges of all those square corners to make it a little nicer carry piece. I'm not afraid to customize a $350 gun.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of breaking the edges of all those square corners to make it a little nicer carry piece. I'm not afraid to customize a $350 gun.
    Very true. 👍🏻
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Name:  8198402-0-image-a-1_1546819858493.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  53.1 KB
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Rural King email this morning:

Name:  84595B8B-CDBE-4278-850D-2CBC104B03FE.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  53.4 KB
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post

That’s the exact model I have.

Need to return to the range and shoot it some more. Had some “clicks” instead of bangs the first time I shot it, but that was during a quick qualification at work.

Could have been the old ammo I was using, me trying to stage the cyclinder for a semi auto qual using a revolver, short stroking, idk. Had little time to diagnose issues, but I’m going to try and hit the range in the next couple of weeks and figure it out.

It checks every box for me, except I wish the sights were better. Other then that the trigger is not great but good enough and it shot accurately in my hands.

I handled one of these at the local Rural King yesterday. Marked $299. 2" barrel with a pinned ramp front sight. This was the 22 oz. model and I think it had a hammer. It had a trigger lock and I didn't ask to have it removed to check the action. It looked OK. Dunam's Sports lists them at $302 but non in stock local.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post

Thirty-five more rounds downrange, today.

95+35=130 rounds total

The Wolff reduced power hammer spring arrived and I installed one. While in the gun, I wiped out most of the metal filings that settled in the yoke retention screw area and some others that stayed put elsewhere under the sideplate after manufacturing. The trigger is now lighter and smoother with much less of a hitch at cylinder stop engagement. What hitch is left is much more rounded than the sharp bump it had been. Accuracy has gone from embarrassing to ~1" groups double-action at five yards if I do my part freehand standing. Precision Delta's 158 grain semi-wadcutter and their 148 grain wadcutter both hit significantly low in the gun. Setting up a roughly 12" bucked round at 25 paces in the log yard, I had to aim at the top edge to centerpunch the thing with a SWC.

Reliability remains promising. No stoppages, extraction of fired cases still easy, the Detective Special speedloaders work fine, have yet to encounter any cylinder binding from any cause, but I've introduced a mild concern. The primer strikes are notably softer and a bit inconsistent in depth. That may just be the difference between the very mild wadcutters and more midrange semi-wadcutters. Will have to keep an eye on it as I didn't segregate my brass to tell for sure. I can say that the only primers I did check were the first cylinder of powderpuff wadcutters and they were soft. My current hunch is that stiffer loads would drive the cases back against the protruding firing pin and breech face more robustly and lead to healthier dimpling. Ignition reliability matters and aesthetics does not so not docking the new hammer spring any points, yet.

Next on the to-do list will be trying to score some Buffalo Bore LSWCHP in either standard pressure or +P as they often have hard primers. Would give me a final POI check and properly test the new hammer spring. If the BB loads hit close to the same POI as my handloads, I'll then tweak the sights.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    The Wolff reduced power hammer spring arrived and I installed one. While in the gun, I wiped out most of the metal filings that settled in the yoke retention screw area and some others that stayed put elsewhere under the sideplate after manufacturing. The trigger is now lighter and smoother with much less of a hitch at cylinder stop engagement. What hitch is left is much more rounded than the sharp bump it had been.
    A hitch at cylinder stop engagement suggests (too) long ratchets.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Another 50 through this one...Name:  3E088D38-73BF-44A9-93F5-870BA60AAF21.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  47.5 KB
    Hit to the sights with 125 gr +P reloads at 15 yards. Shot it all the way out to 100 on torso size silhouette steel
    Last edited by jandbj; 05-08-2021 at 10:22 AM.

User Tag List