Page 49 of 62 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus® Defender 856 38 SPECIAL +P

Some pics to go with my initial thoughts.

http://instagram.com/p/CfjiegJrDeQ/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I have to say that the 856 executive seems like a lot of revolver for $650ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I have to say that the 856 executive seems like a lot of revolver for $650ish.
    Have one on the way....excited to see what it's all about.

So with all the new Taurus love, is anyone willing to take a chance on a 2022 production Raging “fill in the blank”?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    So with all the new Taurus love, is anyone willing to take a chance on a 2022 production Raging “fill in the blank”?
    It looks like the Raging Hunter series are also newer products, they don’t appear to have the safety on the hammer, so they may be worth researching. If you get one I look forward to your observations and reports.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I won't be, but mostly because I have no need for anything in that genres. I'd be far more excited about more 3" barreled LCR offerings with adjustable rear sights to be completely frank.

Site Supporter
    Update - during dry fire the gun started to lock up intermittently. The 856 by design locks up when you short-stroke the trigger, which I thought was what the cause was initially. This was not the case, as the trigger could be pulled about half way before it stopped. Upon closer inspection, the ejector rod was barely screwed in, meaning the bolt wasn't getting full spring pressure from the center pin with the cylinder closed.

This provided a chance to do a detail strip as well, which revealed a powder flake on the head of the hammer strut where it interfaces with the hammer (similar to a Beretta 92 in this regard). All else was as it should be inside the revolver.

In summary so far - put threadlocker on the side plate screws (if only one, the crane screw), and carry a proper screwdriver kit with you to the range, periodically check your ejector rod tightness as well.

Site Supporter
    S&W ejector rods will also unscrew making opening or removing the cylinder difficult. Extreme cases require using a thin blade to push back the lug under the barrel that locks into the rod. Feeler gage works well if ground to reduce width. Here you're dealing with left hand threads. Not relevant but I'm including thread info.

@jetfire just posted a video on Instagram where he had the ejector rod unscrew at a match on a S&W 317. Anyone played with one of the executive versions yet?

Jason

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ndbbm View Post
    @jetfire just posted a video on Instagram where he had the ejector rod unscrew at a match on a S&W 317. Anyone played with one of the executive versions yet?

Jason
    Yup. Outside of screws and the ejector rod all coming unscrewed, it's been a good gun (which really, are known maintenance items). The galloway precision spring kit transforms the gun in a positive way and is a direct swap. The grips that come with the executive I've found to not be conductive at all to shooting. It is possible to swap the front sight with an Ameriglo option for pretty cheap.

If you don't value the dedicated build room setup, I'd honestly purchase a 3" model with the hi-vis front sight and get grips of your choice and a spring kit and save some cash. I spent the premium because it isn't a newer Ruger revolver and wanted to minimize potential problems with the gun out of the box.

User Tag List