Page 36 of 62 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus® Defender 856 38 SPECIAL +P

Those Brazilians must work for peanuts.

I hope the 856 is better than the old 85.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I bought one when I ordered the 856 night sight today.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Those Brazilians must work for peanuts.

I hope the 856 is better than the old 85.
    Curious to hear your negative experience with the 85 series.

I've been using one since the summer, when I bought the 856.
    It is mediocre at best.
    Not worth the money as far as I am concerned
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
    Curious to hear your negative experience with the 85 series.
    I don't have any experience with the 856 which I believe replaced the model 85. I have a 2" model 85 that I bought around 1990. The barrel was canted from the factory as I purchased it new. It shoots about 4" high and about 4" left at 7 yards. I never sold it because it isn't worth anything. I mostly used it to train bird dogs with blanks so it worked for what I wanted it for. IIRC I paid less than $200 for it.

The new ones might be better but that soured me on Taurus revolvers. Never bought another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I don't have any experience with the 856 which I believe replaced the model 85. I have a 2" model 85 that I bought around 1990. The barrel was canted from the factory as I purchased it new. It shoots about 4" high and about 4" left at 7 yards. I never sold it because it isn't worth anything. I mostly used it to train bird dogs with blanks so it worked for what I wanted it for. IIRC I paid less than $200 for it.

The new ones might be better but that soured me on Taurus revolvers. Never bought another one.
    Thanks for the info. My experience with the 85s was pretty limited. Knew a couple guys who worked at a range who owned 85s which seemed pretty decent in the mid ‘90s. Also several customers at the same range who generally had positive experiences with them. But that was a while ago.

I have exactly one Taurus product. A 1996 85. It kind of fell into my lap a a handgun that was offered at a price I couldn’t pass up. Actually been impressed with it. I had always kind of turned my nose up at them, despite the favorable reports I had heard. But those same reports nudged me over the edge when the deal on mine came along. Favorable enough to consider adding an 856.

I asked because, of my own biases against Taurus. I have witnessed enough issues with some of their other handguns but hardly ever heard anything bad about the 85s. Figure maybe I was just deaf to anything really to do with Taurus. So, trying to open my ears a bit more.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
    Thanks for the info. My experience with the 85s was pretty limited. Knew a couple guys who worked at a range who owned 85s which seemed pretty decent in the mid ‘90s. Also several customers at the same range who generally had positive experiences with them. But that was a while ago.

I have exactly one Taurus product. A 1996 85. It kind of fell into my lap a a handgun that was offered at a price I couldn’t pass up. Actually been impressed with it. I had always kind of turned my nose up at them, despite the favorable reports I had heard. But those same reports nudged me over the edge when the deal on mine came along. Favorable enough to consider adding an 856.

I asked because, of my own biases against Taurus. I have witnessed enough issues with some of their other handguns but hardly ever heard anything bad about the 85s. Figure maybe I was just deaf to anything really to do with Taurus. So, trying to open my ears a bit more.

Thanks again.
    You bet. Probably lots of satisfied customers out there. For what I paid for mine I didn't think it was a big deal. I still have it.

One thing it did prompt me to do was buy a S&W model 36. I found a good deal on a used one at Cabela's and I carry it. Better than a knife.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-21-2021 at 07:56 PM.

856 at 7 yards double action. 200 rounds so far and no issues. Action seems decent. Do i take it apart and clean it up, leave it as is? Any experience with action jobs?

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    856 at 7 yards double action. 200 rounds so far and no issues. Action seems decent. Do i take it apart and clean it up, leave it as is? Any experience with action jobs?
    Shoot it. It'll smooth up with time.

Not difficult to get into, but do take care disassembling it. Taurus won't sell you internal parts. (I ended up having to scrounge the aftermarket to find a cylinder bolt spring, which was, weight for weight, probably one of the most expensive thing I've ever bought.)

There's a thread on disassemble with good pictures, on the Taurus Armed forum. See https://www.taurusarmed.net/threads/...l-guide.22219/

User Tag List