Page 19 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus® Defender 856 38 SPECIAL +P

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Taurus has a "concealed hammer" (which is really just bobbed) version of the 856, but not the Defender. I've suggested @jetfire use his connection with the topdood there to recommend bringing in a hundred or so MIM bobbed hammers and selling them as accessories for drop-in conversions.

I think it should be the 110.

101 is binary 5.
    110 is binary 6.

I am a nerd.
    I can't officially say what's waiting for me at my FFL from Taurus

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Ok fellas, y'all gotta keep this one quiet, but I've been testing a prototype for Ruger for about 25 years....
    It's a stainless revolver, 2 3/4" bbl, and it was designed by G.D. Locks....
    Yep, and mine is a blued 4-inch, and that doesn't solve the problem of if the something goes wrong there is no factory support, and spare parts supply is playing the ebay roulette. And there is no good off the shelf holster options. And if it gets deadlined for whatever reason, replacing it is not guaranteed, especially not for anything close to what I paid for it.

So it would be nice if Ruger would introduce a comparable product into their current lineup, because there really isn't anything out there at the moment that quite matches it.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Yep, and mine is a blued 4-inch, and that doesn't solve the problem of if the something goes wrong there is no factory support, and spare parts supply is playing the ebay roulette. And there is no good off the shelf holster options. And if it gets deadlined for whatever reason, replacing it is not guaranteed, especially not for anything close to what I paid for it.

So it would be nice if Ruger would introduce a comparable product into their current lineup, because there really isn't anything out there at the moment that quite matches it.
    A lack of aftermarket support due to the guns being tragically out of production for so long (86 for the Security Six and 88 for the Service/Speed Six) is a bummer. Although the guns are bull strong, anything can go wrong and Ruger will no longer service them. On the small frame side of things, a possible new six shot SP101 would give the consumer an even lighter gun, D frame holsters that are already offered for the SP101, a common array of SP101 grips, and HKS still makes the model DS speedloaders. Existing aftermarket components would make this very attractive to someone that wants something a little easier to shoot than most five shot pocket guns, a six round capacity, and lighter weight than a medium frame revolver.

With the Taurus 856 lineup seemingly selling well and expanding, hopefully the aftermarket offerings will become even more numerous for D frame sized revolvers. The return of this frame size is the most positive development for revolver fans in many, many years. Big thumbs up for Taurus making this size revolver budget friendly to a new generation of revolver fans.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I can't officially say what's waiting for me at my FFL from Taurus
    That sounds exciting. I look foward to your review of this new mystery product from Taurus. More D frame sized six shooters is a good thing.

I would AIWB an steel six-shot SP101 with decent sights all day long.

I am pleased at the direction Taurus appears to be heading, but they have an uphill climb before I am convinced buying another won’t be like re-marrying my ex-wife.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I haven't read all 19 pages of this, so please forgive a possible repetitive post.

The 6 shot SP101 exists, it's just in .327 Federal caliber. If factory ammo selections ever come back to normal again, choose a lower recoil level load and Bob's your uncle. Not sure if it was ever made in the short barrel length though.

I think the Taurus is intriguing, particularly for new and/or low volume shooters. I would love to be able to recommend one when people ask. The quality of the build is of course our question.
    My apologies to weasels.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    I haven't read all 19 pages of this, so please forgive a possible repetitive post.

The 6 shot SP101 exists, it's just in .327 Federal caliber. If factory ammo selections ever come back to normal again, choose a lower recoil level load and Bob's your uncle. Not sure if it was ever made in the short barrel length though.

I think the Taurus is intriguing, particularly for new and/or low volume shooters. I would love to be able to recommend one when people ask. The quality of the build is of course our question.

I think everyone has really been wanting a second frame revision, to have a true small frame .38/.357 SP101 six shooter. The .327 Federal is better at home in making a true J frame sized revolver a six shooter. A lot of .327 fans want that nifty little round to take off, but its not going to happen. A six shot .38/.357 SP101 would move a LOT more units than than the current .327s. As I said earlier, A D frame sized gun should always hold six rounds of .38/.357. Raising the frame height a hair and going from a 1.35" cylinder to a true 1.40" D frame sized cylinder would make the little SP101 the .38/.357 six shooter it should have always been.

Seeing a D frame sized gun with J frame sized capacity is infuriating as a revolver fan. The SP101 is so close to being the ultimate D frame sized revolver. I am absolutley amazed that Ruger has still not done this with the dawn of the LCR, the seven shot GP100, and other companies offering D frame sized six shooters in .38 and .357. Now is the time to finally make this happen.

A MUCH better fit for the .327 Federal would be a steel framed 3" LCRX. If these options spell the doom of the .327 SP101, so be it. It will lead to better selling products and the sacrifice will please the revolver gods.
    Last edited by JWintergreen; 06-05-2021 at 07:52 AM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I am pleased at the direction Taurus appears to be heading, but they have an uphill climb before I am convinced buying another won’t be like re-marrying my ex-wife.
    Nicely put!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Nicely put!
    Taurus: It will be different this time.™
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List