Page 33 of 62 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus® Defender 856 38 SPECIAL +P

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I tried out my dads 642 and no question it is easier to carry and has a better stock trigger. That said, the trigger isn’t amazingly better and if you plan to belt carry the 856 most of the time, while still having the ability to pocket carry if needed, it might be a good buy.

I just can’t decide between the two holsters.
    http://clevelandkydex.com/index.php?...products_id=75

I'm probably going to order this one.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post

The one I’m looking at is what Cleveland Kydex suggested for OWB, but that one looks good too.

Do you think the “sweat guard” is an advantage or disadvantage for a revolver ?

Site Supporter
    The one I’m looking at is what Cleveland Kydex suggested for OWB, but that one looks good too.

Do you think the “sweat guard” is an advantage or disadvantage for a revolver ?
    Not the same holster, but the IWB and OWB holsters I ordered from JMCK for my 4” K frames came with the high guard at my request, because I had ordered all my autoloader holsters that way and liked them. I found that with the revolver holsters, the high guard impeded getting a good firing grip on the gun. I sent them back to Tony to have them cut down to “no guard” configuration and they’re fine now. I don’t know if the same thing would happen with the holster you’re looking at.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Not the same holster, but the IWB and OWB holsters I ordered from JMCK for my 4” K frames came with the high guard at my request, because I had ordered all my autoloader holsters that way and liked them. I found that with the revolver holsters, the high guard impeded getting a good firing grip on the gun. I sent them back to Tony to have them cut down to “no guard” configuration and they’re fine now. I don’t know if the same thing would happen with the holster you’re looking at.

I’ll take your advice.

Site Supporter
    I am going to order a Cleveland Kydex holster next week, I hope. Emailed them today to go over a few more questions.

Let's hope they are decent holsters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    My wife and I went to the LGS/range this afternoon, and they had a black 856. Everything seemed tight and smooth, and the price is inline with online. I have 3 J frames already, but that sixth round is tempting.
    I tried out my dads 642 and no question it is easier to carry and has a better stock trigger. That said, the trigger isn’t amazingly better and if you plan to belt carry the 856 most of the time, while still having the ability to pocket carry if needed, it might be a good buy.

I just can’t decide between the two holsters.
    I’ve had my 642 for what seems like forever. I got a Taurus 605 to kind of help out a friend, and while it was okay and everything worked fine, I ended up just not really liking it (trigger stacked, had a weird angle to it compared to the S&W, other more intangible things), and sold it for what I had in it. The 642 was more pleasant to shoot for most loads, anyway, and easier to shoot accurately.

Then I bought a S&W 60-9 LS that, on paper, really isn’t *that* different from the 605: weighs about the same, chambered for .357, 5 shot cylinder. But it’s just ... nicer? Smoother? Matches my 642 as a steel-frame trainer better?

I don’t know. It’s a nice little gun I have no qualms about, though. And it’s easier to shoot accurately than the 642, so there’s that.

I imagine an 856 would be fine, especially to experiment with while owning a trio of jframes that work for you, but I haven’t seen one to be able to compare to my earlier Taurus revolver experiences. Dad has an old stainless 85 that he’s had to have the firing pin spring replaced on (he broke it dry-firing without a snap cap), but it’s been fine besides that.

I ordered this holster today. I'll probably bob the hammer, deepen the rear sight notch and do a de-horn.

I ordered this holster today. I'll probably bob the hammer, deepen the rear sight notch and do a de-horn.
    Following.
    What refinish will you do?
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Following.
    What refinish will you do?
    Probably no refinish. I got the "stainless" model with this thought in mind.

Site Supporter
    I ordered a OWB holster from Cleveland Kydex. Look forward to seeing how it turns out.

User Tag List