Page 45 of 62 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus® Defender 856 38 SPECIAL +P

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    In a nutshell, no.
    It's been discussed within this thread.
    An SP101 holster is loose.
    J Frame's are too tight.
    A Colt D frame holster is said to work, but I cannot confirm
    SPs and snubby D frames use the same holsters. The 856 frame is just slightly shorter (in length) than other D frame sized revolvers and that makes it a special snowflake. Hopefully, the market will catch up soon. I feel for anyone on the hunt right now.

I bought a brand new SP holster, and NG.
    It was swimming in it.
    PF member @defilade made me one that rocks.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by JWintergreen View Post
    SPs and snubby D frames use the same holsters. The 856 frame is just slightly shorter (in length) than other D frame sized revolvers and that makes it a special snowflake. Hopefully, the market will catch up soon. I feel for anyone on the hunt right now.
    J frame kydex + heat gun and foam pad to mold it and it’s easy to make one.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    J frame kydex + heat gun and foam pad to mold it and it’s easy to make one.
    Perhaps, but there are not many non-custom leather options for people that want real holsters.

Name:  kydex-is-the-devil.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  77.6 KB

Site Supporter
    I ordered a holster from The Holster Store for a Kimber K6 3-inch, it wasn't crazy expensive. I should have it a in a few days.
    I have bought a number of holsters from this place over the years. Decent leather holsters for the price.

I have a Ruger LCR with a frame mounted laser and they were one of the few places I found that had that as an option.

I ran about 60 rounds though my 856 yesterday, seems to like my 148 grain reloads. Sights were right on with that load.

With my Rugers and S&W at this point I would be think that it's good to go, but I'll run another 100-150 rounds though it just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    My 856 Ultra-Lite came yesterday. It's broke. The cylinder binds on a couple of chambers. It's now headed back to Taurus for repair and they are paying for shipping.
    It's back. A little over 3 weeks. They originally reported no problem after firing 12 test rounds. I told them to try again and they fired 50 rounds of Federal 158 LRN and said no problem. It works now but it still has a little catch some times. I have a loupe ordered and I'm going to touch up the star. I think they just fired it enough to knock off the high spots on the star. Over all, these still seem like a reasonably good deal compared to revolvers from the big companies. Most on this thread are not reporting big problems.

Now waiting on the return of my 22 LR LCR that has sticky extraction.

Quote Originally Posted by JWintergreen View Post
    For my 856UL I use same leather holsters I use with my LCR’s and Charter Bulldog framed revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Most on this thread are not reporting big problems.
    FWIW, mine's out of time. I don't know if it came that way or got that way through the little bit of shooting and dry fire I've done. I didn't know to test for failure to carry up when I bought it. Currently, one charge hole will fail to lock when I thumb- or trigger- cock very slowly. Two additional charge holes will fail to lock if I drag my thumb on the cylinder while cocking.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

@jetfire posted a video about an 856 executive grade, https://youtu.be/0F5CbVBzcyQ.

Jason

Site Supporter
    I've watched a couple of YouTube videos about this new Executive Grade 856. Each one warned they will be hard to get. Well ain't that just peachy. Everything is hard to get these days and they tell us these are going to be harder to get than other stuff. Why not just say we came up with this new variation but you can't have one. Good grief!

Dave

User Tag List