Page 31 of 62 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus® Defender 856 38 SPECIAL +P

Today my Galloway spring kit arrived! I was able to get them installed and then made a quick trip outside to my range for a test fire.

I didn’t have a bunch of time so I just ran a box of 148 grain wadcutters and 5 Hornady 110 grain critical defense +p rounds through her. The wadcutters are my reloads and I had used some old Winchester magnum primers in them so I wanted to see if they would go bang with the springs.

Great success! No misfires and a dramatically easier trigger pull. The gun seems to like the wadcutters and hit to the sights other than a little to the right (probably me not the gun). So I now have a grand total of 248 trouble free rounds through it. So far so good. Hopefully I will get some more rounds through it this week and then may start carrying it.

Just came in from shooting the Taurus yet again. I’m finally getting better accuracy, because I am getting better with the trigger. Plus the Galloway springs made a huge improvement.

Fired another 100 rounds of 158 grain lead semi wadcutters. No issues other than the gun was getting dirty and I had to run a tornado brush through the cylinders and clean under the extractor star a few times. When it gets dirty, you can feel the cylinder start to bind up. Not the guns fault, the 231 Winchester powder is pretty dirty stuff.

Also I did order some HKS DS-A speed loaders to try out. The HKS-10’s don’t fit very well when reloading. I don’t know if it is the speed loader or the grips interfering. So hopefully they will work a little better.

I’m comfortable with it enough that it will be a carry gun for everyday, until I get tired of it or decide to carry a 1911 or a Beretta 92X again.

What are you going to do for a holster?
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I am using an old DaSantis medium auto holster (106B6) that added an extra raven concealment soft loop to. It holds it pretty good for right now until I actually find a holster that will work. It’s not my first choice but I had it on hand. I noticed that there isn’t a lot on the market for the gun. I was really hoping that my Phlster City Special would work but it wound fit unless I modify it and I still use it for my 442.

Name:  68017B38-CD53-4DB4-974A-1190318A040B.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  68.8 KBName:  A5EF3D1A-63E9-44E3-B1E2-878AC8E8B771.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  101.4 KB

I have read that the new Colt Cobra is the same size, approximately.

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    What are you going to do for a holster?
    Name:  100_0586.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  67.9 KB

A Simply Rugged pancake made for the Charter Bulldog works well enough I probably won't look for something else. (This is the 3" Defender version. The holster was made for a 2.5" Bulldog, and the 856's 3" barrel just reaches the bottom of the holster.)

Quote Originally Posted by defilade View Post
    I am using an old DaSantis medium auto holster (106B6) that added an extra raven concealment soft loop to. It holds it pretty good for right now until I actually find a holster that will work. It’s not my first choice but I had it on hand. I noticed that there isn’t a lot on the market for the gun.
    The joys of holster shopping for a non-mainstream gun.

was really hoping that my Phlster City Special would work but it wound fit unless I modify it and I still use it for my 442.
    https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...sson-model-642

The size difference is pretty visible in this comparison, assuming it's accurate. They cylinder is larger, of course, and the frame itself is taller.

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...imber-k6s-dasa

Closest semi mainstream comparison I could find on handgunhero.

A model 60, 3"is generally the same size.
    If someone can find a holster for that...

I put 50 rounds of my hand loads through it the other day. No drama. It just went bang every time and hit the center of the target.

The Ameriglo sight is better. The rear sight notch needs to be deeper and maybe wider. I have a file.

I need to trim my grips a little to let the speedloaders work better.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I put 50 rounds of my hand loads through it the other day. No drama. It just went bang every time and hit the center of the target.

The Ameriglo sight is better. The rear sight notch needs to be deeper and maybe wider. I have a file.

I need to trim my grips a little to let the speedloaders work better.

Can you take a pic of the sight?

User Tag List