Page 40 of 62 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus® Defender 856 38 SPECIAL +P

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Stainless-in-the-white model in stock. Reputable vendor. Priced as well as I've ever seen it listed.

https://www.kygunco.com/product/taur...ight-sights-ss

$15 better than the next best price. https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/725327933854
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I now have 480 rounds through my 2" 856.

I put the Galloway springs in early on. A couple days ago I fired 12 Fed 148 wad cutters and 12 Gold Dot 135 +P. I had 2 light strikes with the GD that fired on the second try. That worried me. I have some old Wolf primers that are very hard and more difficult to light off than most primers. I hand loaded some and fired 18 in my 856 with 2 light strikes that went off on the second strike DA. These are the primers I have used in the past on revolvers to assure myself that I would have good reliability. If a revolver will fire these, it will fire anything. I haven't cleaned the gun in a while and I didn't press on the rear of the cartridge when I chambered them. I'm going to clean the gun and shoot more of the Wolf primers.

I plan on bobbing the hammer soon. One theory is that the lighter hammer falls faster, hits harder and gives better reliability. It works that way with Smith & Wessons.

The Balloway TRS is the shizzle. Works great no issues, much improved pull!

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    The Balloway TRS is the shizzle. Works great no issues, much improved pull!
    Or Galloway to those that havent been drinking😀

I cut the hammer spur off my 2" 856. I fired 32 rounds with the very hard Wolf primers and had 4 light strikes that went off on the second strike. I then fired 54 rounds of my hand loads with Fed primers and every one went off with the first strike DA. 158 grain loads hit center from 5 yards out to 15 yards with the Taurus Ameriglo front sight. I now have 566 rounds through mine.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I now have 480 rounds through my 2" 856.

I put the Galloway springs in early on. A couple days ago I fired 12 Fed 148 wad cutters and 12 Gold Dot 135 +P. I had 2 light strikes with the GD that fired on the second try. That worried me. I have some old Wolf primers that are very hard and more difficult to light off than most primers. I hand loaded some and fired 18 in my 856 with 2 light strikes that went off on the second strike DA. These are the primers I have used in the past on revolvers to assure myself that I would have good reliability. If a revolver will fire these, it will fire anything. I haven't cleaned the gun in a while and I didn't press on the rear of the cartridge when I chambered them. I'm going to clean the gun and shoot more of the Wolf primers.

I plan on bobbing the hammer soon. One theory is that the lighter hammer falls faster, hits harder and gives better reliability. It works that way with Smith & Wessons.

Site Supporter
    The 856 is a good revolver. I can’t believe Taurus does a good job of making what Ruger should be making, but they do and they deserve credit for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    The 856 is a good revolver. I can’t believe Taurus does a good job of making what Ruger should be making, but they do and they deserve credit for it.
    I've had 4 Taurus's. 3 of them have been very good. A copy of the Beretta 92, a model 85 and now the 856 have had no trouble at all. I have a PT22, the copy of the Beretta model 21 that is not reliable at all.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I cut the hammer spur off my 2" 856. I fired 32 rounds with the very hard Wolf primers and had 4 light strikes that went off on the second strike. I then fired 54 rounds of my hand loads with Fed primers and every one went off with the first strike DA. 158 grain loads hit center from 5 yards out to 15 yards with the Taurus Ameriglo front sight. I now have 566 rounds through mine.
    I'd be interested in seeing your bobbed hammer. Got any pictures?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing your bobbed hammer. Got any pictures?

Dave
    Name:  IMG_7286.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  30.5 KB

Here is the 856 on the left along with a M-85 I bobbed many years ago.

edit to add: I intend to make it look a little better when I have time, but lucky enough, the picture is blurry enough that it doesn't look too bad.

A few weeks ago I commissioned @defilade to build me a left hand holster for my 3" 865.

It came today.
    His holster is a no frills get it done holster, built to fit to the 856.
    He built it in a natural color, and a basket weave design. He added a simple strap with a PTD to secure it to the belt.
    I changed mine to a slimmer PTD Loop.
    Name:  20220321_152746.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  40.3 KB
    Name:  20220321_152829.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  36.2 KB
    I added the Mastermind Tactics pillow pad to the bottom of it, and wore it appendix around the house for 3 hours.
    It's definitely well thought out, because the grip sits at a great height, allowing the belt to work in keeping it snug to your waist.
    It would definitely work at 3 or 9 o'clock as well.
    While the holster moves slightly with your movements, the gun most certainly does not.
    It's rock solid secure in his holster.

If you are at an impasse holster wise, I would strongly recommend you send him PM him.

Thank you again Wade for the great work!

Chris
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List