Page 1 of 62 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus® Defender 856 38 SPECIAL +P

Taurus® Defender 856 38 SPECIAL +P

Does anyone have experience with this, or any recent Taurus products? The specs are very appealing.

https://www.taurususa.com/revolvers/taurus-856

ITEM # 2-85639ULNS
    UPC 7-25327-93386-1
    FRAME SIZE Small
    CAPACITY 6 rds
    ACTION TYPE DA/SA
    CALIBER 38 SPECIAL +P
    HEIGHT 4.80"
    WIDTH 1.41"
    WEIGHT 17.50 oz.
    BARREL LENGTH 3.00"
    OVERALL LENGTH 7.50"
    FRONT SIGHT Night Sight W Orange Outline
    REAR SIGHT Fixed
    SAFETY Transfer Bar
    MSRP $429.00
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    We have another thread here about them from earlier in the year. I think it's "Taurus, really?"

There are a couple active threads over here with people actually getting their guns. No range reports yet, though.

https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-revolvers/

Be sure you wear your derp boots. It's thick and deep, but at least they do have the guns.

One guy posted a real weight for the all steel gun. I think it was 23.37 oz, which is right around the 24 oz that has been guessed. (Web site still says 35 oz. Hope the guns are better than the data sheet...)
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Here and here

I keep thinking about that gun, but I think telling myself "It'll be different this time" will be a lot like remarrying my ex-wife.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I keep thinking about that gun, but I think telling myself "It'll be different this time" will be a lot like remarrying my ex-wife.
    Ten minutes earlier and you would have cost me a keyboard.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

S&W needs to do this concept.

I have the standard 856 stainless and been pleasantly surprised. It's the only revolver I've owned that hasn't had to go back to the manufacturer to include Ruger, Smith, and Colt.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    S&W needs to do this concept.
    Bring back the Model 12 (and lose the frelling IL)!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    I haven't handled one personally but it's my understanding the 856 is closer in size to the D-frame Colt (Detective Special) than a K-frame S&W. The other example of this size and usefulness is the Charter 44 Specials. Again a D-frame Colt in size.

Dave

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    One nice thing about the Taurus is it basically takes J frame grips. And there are some pretty good Taurus factory grips, too, if you don't mind rubber.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    I have the standard 856 stainless and been pleasantly surprised. It's the only revolver I've owned that hasn't had to go back to the manufacturer to include Ruger, Smith, and Colt.

How many rounds do you have through it?

I found a blued DAO 856 I really wanted. Two concerns though.

There was paint missing in a spot or two, and the trigger felt off on a chamber or two.

If I could be convinced that the trigger issue I felt was me and not the gun, then I would get it. The paint issue is a non issue for me, but combined with the trigger thing, it made me ponder the quality of QC.

I’m not a revolver expert by any means, I’m largely ignorant of them in a mechanical sense. So I hope the trigger is ok and I just don’t know what I’m doing.

For me, it is as close as anything to the perfect revolver currently being made.

User Tag List