Page 30 of 62 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus® Defender 856 38 SPECIAL +P

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    My wife was in the room and heard where the parts landed across the room.

@CSW would you measure the height of the front night sight on your gun? I have a 2" and I'm considering getting one of these sight for it, but I think it might be too short.
    From my old eyes and non digital micrometer it appears to be a 165 height and a 120-125 width.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    From my old eyes and non digital micrometer it appears to be a 165 height and a 120-125 width.
    Thanks. I went ahead and ordered one of these sights. I've spent 30 bucks on more foolish things. I also ordered another set of the boot grips https://www.shoptaurus.com/revolver-...t-grip-5-20880 to replace the ones I took off my 85 to put on the 856.

My 3 inch defender came with a set of Hogues and the Taurus rubber boot grips.
    The wood ones I found are awesome.

Trip to the range this morning.
    Quick 30 rounds of mixed 147, 158 and some 125+p. Some reload wadcutters, the rest factory ammo.
    All fired, no light hits and one helluva better trigger both in double and single.

I put the Orange Ameriglo sight on my 2" 856. Took about 5 minutes. It's pre-drilled. It is the right height. My wife and I shot 100 rounds of hand loads today. All fired and ejected OK. I have around 275 rounds total through it so far with no problems. This front sight is much easier to see.

This damn forum made me do something that I swore that I would never do again, buy a Taurus.

I picked up yesterday and only have about 100 rounds through it so far, but I have to say I kind of like it. I got the regular steel frame because I wanted a little heft to tame recoil. I am used to my 442, but it isn’t fun to shoot very much.

I guess I’m starting to get old and am getting tired of lugging around my 92X especially around the house.

Time will tell on this Taurus on wether or not I wasted money, but it was $330 out the door, so if nothing else it will make a snake gun for around the property.

.Name:  5E344B6F-4A62-49A7-8F8A-53EBEFF910FA.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  96.9 KB

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by defilade View Post
    This damn forum made me do something that I swore that I would never do again, buy a Taurus.

I picked up yesterday and only have about 100 rounds through it so far, but I have to say I kind of like it. I got the regular steel frame because I wanted a little heft to tame recoil. I am used to my 442, but it isn’t fun to shoot very much.

I guess I’m starting to get old and am getting tired of lugging around my 92X especially around the house.

Time will tell on this Taurus on wether or not I wasted money, but it was $330 out the door, so if nothing else it will make a snake gun for around the property.

.Name:  5E344B6F-4A62-49A7-8F8A-53EBEFF910FA.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  96.9 KB
    Keep us updated. I, too, swore off Taurii/Rossii after a good deal of previous swearing... the expletive kind.

That said, I have the need for a S&W 640 but am a bit leery of new ones, and the sharks with inside connections get all the good used ones (which only occasionally show up in this neck of the woods). Estimating that even a Taurus is likely to last as long as I will - getting old is scary, kids - has me looking at Brazilian crap again.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Just about 100 shy of 1000 rounds without a hitch.
    Galloway springs are working with factory and reloads.
    I'm liking the Brazilian brick.

I ran 100 more of my reloads through the Taurus today for a total of 193 rounds.

Towards the end the cylinder felt like it was binding a little, but I haven’t cleaned the gun and my reloads are lead with Winchester 231 so it was pretty dirty.

I took it inside to clean and when I got done, I noticed that it was hard to close the cylinder and it was still binding up. This is when I figured that my new Taurus had just Taurused and was going to have to be sent back. 😡🤬

Then I looked again and saw that there was still a small amount of crud under the extractor, so I got that cleaned out and everything seems to have returned to normal. I did a bunch of dry fire and it operated normally.

I just wish my Galloway springs would hurry up and get here. My finger was exhausted by the time I quit.

Site Supporter
    As a Taurus critic, let me say that I'm pleased to hear that these revolvers are showing promise. If they function reliably for the 1st 150 rounds, then they should continue to function. If they do not spit gas or lead particles, and if they shoot to point of aim, then they are a bargain. If Taurus has fixed its terrible customer service with its sub standard repair procedures, then that's even better. Would I buy one? No, but I'm old, ornery, cantankerous, and biased against the brand. I do admit to liking the old Charter Arms 5 shot snubbies and these usually crashed at the 500 round mark. I was not biased against them yet I knew their short comings.

User Tag List