Page 50 of 62 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus® Defender 856 38 SPECIAL +P

Range Report

Took the Talo 856 to the range today. I ended up firing off 50 rounds of WWB 130gr, 40 rounds of Federal PD 110gr and 60 rounds of Federal 38G 158gr +P. Shoots straight windage wise. Elevation wise it shot closest to POA with FBI loads. Not a fan of the “ribbed for her pleasure” grips at all. By the end my grip strength was completely shot. The gun got so hot I had to wear gloves. No malfunctions or failures. I’ll dive into the gun later and check screws.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Took the Talo 856 to the range today. I ended up firing off 50 rounds of WWB 130gr, 40 rounds of Federal PD 110gr and 60 rounds of Federal 38G 158gr +P. Shoots straight windage wise. Elevation wise it shot closest to POA with FBI loads. Not a fan of the “ribbed for her pleasure” grips at all. By the end my grip strength was completely shot. The gun got so hot I had to wear gloves. No malfunctions or failures. I’ll dive into the gun later and check screws.
    Have you found any speed loaders that work with those grips?

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Have you found any speed loaders that work with those grips?
    I haven’t tried anything beyond speed strips. Theses grips gotta go anyway.
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Was able to pick up the Executive Grade 856 today. I'm not a revolver expert by any means. The trigger felt great. Very smooth, straight through action. My comparisons are '21 production Cobras/Pythons, LCRs, and SP101/GP100 with trigger work. I find it better than any of these. I realize none of these are exactly the prime example of revolver triggers. Once I can get a weight gauge on it I'll report back.

It has good fit and finish. There is a bit of space between the frame and the Altamont grips. The chamfered cylinder chambers are a nice touch and the alignment pins under the extractor star are nice also. I wasn't able to measure it, but the cylinder had very minimal endshake. Less than any revolver I've handled, maybe similar to the Python. Again I'm no revolver collector and can't measure it up against anything considered priceless.

I couldn't wait to shoot it so bought a box of Fiocchi 130 grain range fodder that was on the shelf and shot it all. Sights were right on!

Extraction was clean and positive everytime. I actually really like the grips after shooting it.

All in all, I really like it so far. Once I get some time I'll put some gold dots and other loads through it to see what I get. And post pictures.

Definitely check and possibly loctite your cylinder release screw and crane screw. My crane screw was loose upon purchase but didn’t back out during firing. The cylinder release screw was loose initially and I tightened it prior to shooting. It did loosen back up considerably. After cleaning/inspection today I degreased the screw and threads of the bolt. Loctite was applied to the screw before reassembly.

Pachmayr grips ordered to replace the factory VZ.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

They are so close with this gun. A dehorned adjustable rear sight, because not all .38s are created equal.

VZ needs to get with the program in 2022 - Finger Grooves suck (even Glock has dumped them!) and proper relief for all speed loaders (I really don't understand why that is a problem, when speed loaders have existed for ~120 years).

BUT personally, I'm thinking an 856 Defender with an Allchin RMR mount...The question is - how close are the top strap dimensions of the 856 to a J-Frame, K-Frame, or Ruger? @Hizzie

https://allchingunparts.com/smith-we...ts-scope-mount

*RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    They are so close with this gun. A dehorned adjustable rear sight, because not all .38s are created equal.

VZ needs to get with the program in 2022 - Finger Grooves suck (even Glock has dumped them!) and proper relief for all speed loaders (I really don't understand why that is a problem, when speed loaders have existed for ~120 years).

BUT personally, I'm thinking an 856 Defender with an Allchin RMR mount...The question is - how close are the top strap dimensions of the 856 to a J-Frame, K-Frame, or Ruger? @Hizzie

https://allchingunparts.com/smith-we...ts-scope-mount
    If they could include grips that go up to the top of the frame, are of moderate circumference, aren't tacky rubber, lack finger grooves, and don't cause severe pain or fatigue when shooting out of the box, it would be so close to being there.

The rear sight you're describing would be a blessing for a gun this size.

The rear sight you're describing would be a blessing for a gun this size.
    I would love to be able to machine the rear sight area and have a real fixed sight installed.
    The black frame has a decent sight picture, but it could be better.
    With the stainless gun, it's got to be a difficult picture with the silverish color.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    I would love to be able to machine the rear sight area and have a real fixed sight installed.
    The black frame has a decent sight picture, but it could be better.
    With the stainless gun, it's got to be a difficult picture with the silverish color.
    Novak uses their LMR01 on their LCR package…

http://novaksinc.com/lcr-revolver.html

On the stainless ones, I use a sharpie to blacken the rear face and inside of the notch.

User Tag List