Page 17 of 62 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus® Defender 856 38 SPECIAL +P

That's another consideration :
    If the 856 was offered in 22lr.....what an awesome kit gun it would be.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Anybody got the link for the Ruger Contact the CEO thing? I want to join in on the soapbox.

My requests? A 6-shot medium frame version of the LCR, essentially a modernized Security Six.
    Or a 6-shot SP101 with a 4-inch barrel and adjustable sights.
    Basically I just want the S6 back.

Also half-lug barrels on everything. Full-lugs can die in a fire.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Anybody got the link for the Ruger Contact the CEO thing? I want to join in on the soapbox.

My requests? A 6-shot medium frame version of the LCR, essentially a modernized Security Six.

Aqui!

https://ruger.com/dataProcess/tellTheCEO/

I too hate the full lugs on everything trend, and really like that 4 inch six shot SP101 idea. A six shot SP101 with a 1.40" diameter cylinder would still be a D frame sized gun, but would be a worthy successor to the Security Six. It would be even lighter, fit small hands very well, and be perfect for outdoorsmen. Perhaps the ultimate "combat magnum." Also, with the GP100 being big enough to be an easy shooting .357 (and now having a seven shot option), it would not cannibalize another product line. As a lover of special only revolvers, I would also like to see Taurus or Ruger offer a half lug, tapered barrel .38 in this configuration.

As for the LCR, I have always wanted to see a .38 only version with a steel frame (like the .357 or 9mm). That one will probably never happen, but a man can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by JWintergreen View Post
    I too hate the full lugs on everything trend, and really like that 4 inch six shot SP101 idea. A six shot SP101 with a 1.40" diameter cylinder would still be a D frame sized gun, but would be a worthy successor to the Security Six. It would be even lighter, fit small hands very well, and be perfect for outdoorsmen. Perhaps the ultimate "combat magnum." Also, with the GP100 being big enough to be an easy shooting .357 (and now having a seven shot option), it would not cannibalize another product line. As a lover of special only revolvers, I would also like to see Taurus or Ruger offer a half lug, tapered barrel .38 in this configuration.

As for the LCR, I have always wanted to see a .38 only version with a steel frame (like the .357 or 9mm). That one will probably never happen, but a man can dream.
    Those half-lug 3-inch SP101s that Ruger did for a distributor( can't recall who now) tempted me greatly. But I just cannot get over that hefty of a gun only holding 5. Always been the big turn off of the SPs. And the GP100s are just too big.
    The S6 is the goldilocks revolver for me, but the fact that I can't easily replace or repair it, and the lack of aftermarket for it in recent years has become apparent to me.

Those half-lug 3-inch SP101s that Ruger did for a distributor( can't recall who now) tempted me greatly. But I just cannot get over that hefty of a gun only holding 5. Always been the big turn off of the SPs. And the GP100s are just too big.
    The S6 is the goldilocks revolver for me, but the fact that I can't easily replace or repair it, and the lack of aftermarket for it in recent years has become apparent to me.
    Sir, you just hit the nail on the head. The SP101 has always been handicapped by being a D frame sized revolver with J frame capacity. Why they went with a slightly abbreviated frame window and a .1.35" diameter cylinder instead of a 1.40" diameter six shot cylinder, is beyond me. Gun writers have long compared the SP101 to the Detective Special and the short lived Magnum Carry (first six shot D frame sized .357 Magnum). However, they have always tapdanced around the giant pink elephant in the room (it's just a five shooter). A D frame sized revolver should always hold 6 rounds, especially with the J frame sized LCR in the lineup. The beauty of a D frame sized revolver is that it is far easier to carry than medium frame guns, and you get a true six shooter.

I tried to make a 3" GP100 work as my carry choice, but it was just too big for me. This led me down the path to the realization that the D frame sized revolver was perfect for those that want an easy to carry six shooter (even easier than a K frame or Six Series), that is still comfortable to practice with. This is a very rare combination in the revolver world. I love the Six Series revolvers. Ruger threw the baby out with the bathwater when it came to ditching them for the chubbier (and cheaper to produce) GP100. However, I think an even lighter 6 shot SP101 is perfect for the current market. It would be lighter than a S6, work ergonomically for almost all shooters, and allow Ruger to have a direct competitor to the K6S, 856, Charter Police Undercover, Cobra, and King Cobra small frame revolvers.
    Last edited by JWintergreen; 06-03-2021 at 09:54 PM.

Site Supporter
    Sir, you just hit the nail on the head. The SP101 has always been handicapped by being a D frame sized revolver with J frame capacity. Why they went with a slightly abbreviated frame window and a .1.35" diameter cylinder instead of a 1.40" diameter six shot cylinder, is beyond me. Gun writers have long compared the SP101 to the Detective Special and the short lived Magnum Carry (first six shot D frame sized .357 Magnum). However, they have always tapdanced around the giant pink elephant in the room (it's just a five shooter). A D frame sized revolver should always hold 6 rounds, especially with the J frame sized LCR in the lineup. The beauty of a D frame sized revolver is that it is far easier to carry than medium frame guns, and you get a true six shooter.

I tried to make a 3" GP100 work as my carry choice, but it was just too big for me. This led me down the path to the realization that the D frame sized revolver was perfect for those that want an easy to carry six shooter (even easier than a K frame or Six Series), that is still comfortable to practice with. This is a very rare combination in the revolver world. I love the Six Series revolvers. Ruger threw the baby out with the bathwater when it came to ditching them for the chubbier (and cheaper to produce) GP100. However, I think an even lighter 6 shot SP101 is perfect for the current market. It would be lighter than a S6, work ergonomically for almost all shooters, and allow Ruger to have a direct competitor to the K6S, 856, Charter Police Undercover, Cobra, and King Cobra small frame revolvers.

Even if they keep it .38spl only, I am ok with that.

It would be lighter than a S6, work ergonomically for almost all shooters, and allow Ruger to have a direct competitor to the K6S, 856, Charter Police Undercover, Cobra, and King Cobra small frame revolvers.
    The Kimber K6 looks in a lot of ways a product improved SP101, except the cost and my lack of trust in Kimber has turned me off. Also it is ugly as sin. Which is a larger factor than it probably should be.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Even if they keep it .38spl only, I am ok with that.
    Same here. Honestly, I do not like firing .357 in a small frame revolver and love "special only" guns. However, with the beefy forcing cone and thick topstrap of the SP101, a six shot version would still be magnum friendly. A 1.40" diameter cylinder (like the Magnum Carry/New King Cobra) would still have plenty of meat between the chambers, and even more than the seven and eight shot .357 medium and full size/large frame revolvers . The Magnum Carry, K6S, and new King Cobra have proved that a .357 Magnum D frame sized revolver can be done well. Although I would prefer a .38 only (and hope they would offer at least one model in this configuration), this option would attract a lot of folks and make a great woods gun.

The Kimber K6 looks in a lot of ways a product improved SP101, except the cost and my lack of trust in Kimber has turned me off. Also it is ugly as sin. Which is a larger factor than it probably should be.
    Agreed. The customer service horror stories alone are enough to turn me off. Also, why in the heck do they insist on putting a snub length ejector rod on three and four inch barrels? Aesthetics also matter when it comes to revolvers, and the new D frame sized Colts and Kimbers fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. The Detective Special, SF-VI, Magnum Carry, PPS, and Diamondback were the best looking small frame revolvers of all time. Changing the trigger guard, grip frame, and re-using old model names that are very different from their current form was a bad move by Colt. This has been why I am now seriously considering the 856. Small things, like a hearty extended ejector rod on the three inch version, goes a long way.

However, I hope that the Colt and Kimber offerings serve as an incentive to finally make the SP101 the small frame .38/.357 six shooter it always should have been.
    Last edited by JWintergreen; 06-03-2021 at 11:07 PM.

User Tag List