Page 15 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus® Defender 856 38 SPECIAL +P

After a brief search, I found an ad in the Sep/Oct 1983 issue of American Handgunner (classic issues are free to view on their website) that lists .357 N frame Comp I speedloaders as model no. J-N1 and Comp I D frame loaders as model no. J-D9. I found a couple ads in later issues, but there are no specific model numbers. Now I am starting to question the existence of N frame comp IIs.

I would imagine Safariland D frame loaders (which would be perfect for the 856) are hard to come by now. I think it might take the often requested, aforementioned 6 shot .38/.357 SP101 becoming a reality to make them see the dollar signs here. Safariland is certainly very hesitant to introduce, or reintroduce, new speedloaders. This is a shame, as it is hard to go back to a twist style once you become accustomed to them.
    Last edited by JWintergreen; 06-01-2021 at 02:34 PM.

Ordered a 3” ultra lite today from grabagun... $328 delivered.

Site Supporter
    Shot my 856 DAO 2 inch today. About 60 rounds.

No issues. Recoil is fine two handed, but weak hand only was unpleasant with just 130 fmj WWB.

What would I like to see?

A slightly better trigger (not a huge issue but wouldn’t hurt)
    A model with better sights
    Long term reliability across multiple users

If this gun was offered with adjustable rear sights,
    🍌
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I'd like to see a four inch adjustable sight version. A D frame sized gun in that configuration would be a near perfect general purpose revolver.

Ruger has the four inch SP101, but its only a five shooter. Kimber, for what ever reason, insists on putting a snub length ejector rod on three and four inch revolvers. Colt, in their infinite wisdom, thought it would be better to offer a King Cobra Target instead of a new .38/.357 Diamondback. The grip frame change, hideous trigger guard, ejector rod woes, and massive barrel that balloons the weight to 36 ounces make it a no go for me. It should not take a marketing genius to see that a "Mini Python" that is much easier to carry would be very marketable.

I never thought that Taurus could have the potential to be a class leader in any category...but here we are.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JWintergreen View Post
    I'd like to see a four inch adjustable sight version. A D frame sized gun in that configuration would be a near perfect general purpose revolver.

Ruger has the four inch SP101, but its only a five shooter. Kimber, for what ever reason, insists on putting a snub length ejector rod on three and four inch revolvers. Colt, in their infinite wisdom, thought it would be better to offer a King Cobra Target instead of a new .38/.357 Diamondback. The grip frame change, hideous trigger guard, ejector rod woes, and massive barrel that balloons the weight to 36 ounces make it a no go for me. It should not take a marketing genius to see that a "Mini Python" that is much easier to carry would be very marketable.

I never thought that Taurus could have the potential to be a class leader in any category...but here we are.

In my opinion, which is worth little, I think there is a real market for quality revolvers for the part of the average joe gun community. Simple admin handling, probably going to work for what it’s purpose is, and simple to teach for the intended purpose.

A well priced, and quality, series of 6 shot revolvers would do well. Taurus checks most of the boxes, but the long term quality and durability is still unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    In my opinion, which is worth little, I think there is a real market for quality revolvers for the part of the average joe gun community. Simple admin handling, probably going to work for what it’s purpose is, and simple to teach for the intended purpose.

A well priced, and quality, series of 6 shot revolvers would do well. Taurus checks most of the boxes, but the long term quality and durability is still unknown.

I couldn't agree more. Kimber and Colt products are out of reach for most buyers. One of the reasons that I am so happy to see D frame sized revolvers make a comeback, is that they strike a great balance for the average gun buyer. They can easily be carried everyday, yet they have just enough heft to make them pleasant to shoot with most .38 + P ammo. They are simple to use and fun to shoot. They are also true six shooters, unlike J frame sized guns. This is also why I would like to see Ruger finally make the SP101 a six shot .38/.357. This would be another great carry option for folks and it would be more affordable than a Kimber or Colt.

I am really pulling for Taurus here. If they can keep their QC in check, they have a real winner on their hands.

Already have email alerts enabled on a few sites looking for a 3” 942 22LR ultra-lite to complete the perfect quartet of user grade trainers, trail, carry, & house guns for the casual user.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JWintergreen View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Kimber and Colt products are out of reach for most buyers. One of the reasons that I am so happy to see D frame sized revolvers make a comeback, is that they strike a great balance for the average gun buyer. They can easily be carried everyday, yet they have just enough heft to make them pleasant to shoot with most .38 + P ammo. They are simple to use and fun to shoot. They are also true six shooters, unlike J frame sized guns. This is also why I would like to see Ruger finally make the SP101 a six shot .38/.357. This would be another great carry option for folks and it would be more affordable than a Kimber or Colt.

I am really pulling for Taurus here. If they can keep their QC in check, they have a real winner on their hands.

Another feature I like is the DAO bobbed hammer (thumbing while bolstering). S&Ws have the lock and bobbing the LCRx hammer does not seem to be an option. The SP101 has this option, but as you pointed out, it’s five shots.

Ruger should make a six shot version, call it the SP106.

If this able little 3 inch works out, I'll consider having the cylinder turned out for moon clips.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List