Page 60 of 62 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 LastLast

Thread: Taurus® Defender 856 38 SPECIAL +P

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    Sorry if I missed this via my search, but does anyone know of a good OWB holster for the 3” 856? I’ve looked and not found anything yet
    The Galco Combat Master in the link above would be one of my first choices for an OWB holster for the 3" 856. Galco also offers the "Paddle Lite" holster on their site. The Silver Dollar holster from Simply Rugged would be another one to look into.

Most all of the kydex ones I've seen (Phlster and Harry's) have been IWB/AIWB ones.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

A few days ago on this forum I requested help for a Taurus gripscrew for a set of old squarebutt type Model 85 grips. Well Taurus CS was of no help and someone posted a set of dimensions for the screw.

I went to the local farm implement store ( after all it is Idaho) and the lady looked at the grip that I had taken and said Oh you need a 5x40x1" screw to fit that grip. And she was correct so I picked up three. Taurus CS wanted to sell me a new set of grips.

So the thread pitch was correct, diameter was correct and length of screw was correct. What was not was the head was a few thousands of an inch too large in circumference. This was solved with a couple of minutes with an Arkansas stone.

The grips fit my 856 UL nicely and are handsome in appearance with their South American hardwood origin.

Hope this helps someone now or in the future.

I tried this universal revolver clip and did not like it. It has a much shorter clip length and where it attached to the frame interfered with my trigger finger on the pull stroke.

who makes just a cheap, simple, 3" thin suede IWB revolver holster, Desantis? I can't seem to find one and it strikes me as silly. I would think they'd be ubiquitous. maybe I have to go to a gun show

Quote Originally Posted by onehalfmvsquared View Post
    I tried this universal revolver clip and did not like it. It has a much shorter clip length and where it attached to the frame interfered with my trigger finger on the pull stroke.

who makes just a cheap, simple, 3" thin suede IWB revolver holster, Desantis? I can't seem to find one and it strikes me as silly. I would think they'd be ubiquitous. maybe I have to go to a gun show
    I've got a Galco Stow-n-go for 3" revolver that meets that description. I've used it for the 856 Defender, and a 2.5" Charter Bulldog. Moved on from it to better kydex for the Defender. It works OK.

Site Supporter

A friend of mine SWEARS BY IWB Holsters from the Houston Gun Holster Store sold on Amazon.com--The ones that say they're made of "ECO Leather"--He replaces them every 2 or 3 years IIRC, but at about $30 a pop that's not terrible, I guess--My biggest problem with them is that they are kinda' soft & "Floppy" & not likely to stay open for reholstering, which is a "Must-have" quality for me--But this guy is retired LE and loves 'em, so...
    Last edited by mikey357; 12-21-2023 at 10:20 PM.

Site Supporter

A couple of suggestions:

https://highnoonholsters.com/mister-softy

https://highnoonholsters.com/bare-asset

These holsters have a reinforced mouth although it is not completely rigid. It remains thin enough to avoid adding significantly to the total bulk. The tension screw helps with retention. The belt clip is one of very few I have seen that is both secure and easy to put on and take off.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

This gently used 856 was found on consignment at the local pusher for 2.5 Benjamins.....box, papers, everything. It somehow found its way under the tree.

Name:  IMG_20231225_081034362_HDR[1].jpg
Views: 563
Size:  39.3 KB

I'm planning to get the orange front sight from Taurus.

My small hands don't usually play well with covered backstraps, and I was planning on picking up the Hogue rubber grip. That said, the factory one feels pretty good whilst coon-fingering the thing today. Time will tell.

It fits well in a DeSantis Superfly and some Mika's holsters that I had gotten for my LCR. It also works well in my Null SMK for my SP-101. Don't have pics of that handy just yet.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Name:  IMG_20231227_093430299_HDR[1].jpg
Views: 436
Size:  53.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20231227_093555364_HDR[1].jpg
Views: 440
Size:  46.0 KB
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I've been marveling at how the 856 feels....lighter and livelier....than my SP101. Published weight difference is ~ 3 oz.
    Although the external dimensions are similar, the SP101 just feels heavier......denser is the closest word I can think of.

But comparing them side-by-side, it becomes obvious just how thicker and beefier the SP101's frame is.

Name:  IMG_20231227_095433090_HDR[1].jpg
Views: 432
Size:  36.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20231227_095552696_HDR[1].jpg
Views: 430
Size:  35.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20231227_100850745_HDR[1].jpg
Views: 437
Size:  34.1 KB

This also suggests to me that a 6-shot SP101 is a pipe dream. It works in .327, and could work in .38, but would be far too delicate in .357. A 6-shot .357 Magnum really needs to be in a medium frame or larger. ( I have held...but never shot...the K6, so maybe I'm missing a data point)
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    I have the K6 2 inch snub and while it is a handful in .357 it handles it pretty well. The SP101 did slightly better, but shooting 125 grain isn't horrible in the K6

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I've been marveling at how the 856 feels....lighter and livelier....than my SP101. Published weight difference is ~ 3 oz.
    Although the external dimensions are similar, the SP101 just feels heavier......denser is the closest word I can think of.

But comparing them side-by-side, it becomes obvious just how thicker and beefier the SP101's frame is.

Name:  IMG_20231227_095433090_HDR[1].jpg
Views: 432
Size:  36.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20231227_095552696_HDR[1].jpg
Views: 430
Size:  35.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20231227_100850745_HDR[1].jpg
Views: 437
Size:  34.1 KB

This also suggests to me that a 6-shot SP101 is a pipe dream. It works in .327, and could work in .38, but would be far too delicate in .357. A 6-shot .357 Magnum really needs to be in a medium frame or larger. ( I have held...but never shot...the K6, so maybe I'm missing a data point)

User Tag List