Page 25 of 62 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus® Defender 856 38 SPECIAL +P

I picked up a 856 Defender UL, switched to Galloway springs and am impressed. 150 rounds, zero issues, shot to sights.

Site Supporter
    There was a 2" steel-frame 856 at my LGS when I stopped by today. The action wasn't bad, though I was asked to stop dry-firing it. It was marked at $350, so a decent price. I could see getting one, but I have another gun on their wish list and am trying to cut down on expenses.

Site Supporter
    A 2 inch model, with good sights, keep the DAO and spurless hammer....would be amazing.

As is, it's pretty dang good.

Still searching for a holster.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    A 2 inch model, with good sights, keep the DAO and spurless hammer....would be amazing.

As is, it's pretty dang good.

Still searching for a holster.
    Good luck, I haven't found anything beyond a Desantis Nemisis that'll work.
    I'm over 350 rounds now, and satisfied that the gun runs. I'm pleased with it, and at this point, would trust it for carry or night time defense.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I got one today. Stainless, 2" barrel with a hammer. I got it at Rural King for $309 plus tax. They also had a blue 2" for $299. I got stainless because it won't show as much when I start filing on it. Trigger is kinda heavy, but no serious glitches. Range toy for now. I have a Taurus 85 I got in the 90s. I don't remember ever having a malfunction with it.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I got one today. Stainless, 2" barrel with a hammer. I got it at Rural King for $309 plus tax. They also had a blue 2" for $299. I got stainless because it won't show as much when I start filing on it. Trigger is kinda heavy, but no serious glitches. Range toy for now. I have a Taurus 85 I got in the 90s. I don't remember ever having a malfunction with it.
    The "blue" is still stainless, it's just a black oxide finish, not a blue finish. But yeah, I'm with you on the no-show filing. For Rugers, too.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Popped a couple of the Galloway hammer springs in 2 of my 3” 856s. Trying to get some rounds down range tomorrow to confirm function.

Added a drop of marvel mystery oil in the hole through the frame where the hammer spring strut interacts with the hammer too.

Noticeable weight reduction from stock but I have no scale to provide numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Popped a couple of the Galloway hammer springs in 2 of my 3” 856s. Trying to get some rounds down range tomorrow to confirm function.

Added a drop of marvel mystery oil in the hole through the frame where the hammer spring strut interacts with the hammer too.

Noticeable weight reduction from stock but I have no scale to provide numbers.
    Monitoring for results.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Trigger is kinda heavy, but no serious glitches.
    My wife dry fired it and grimaced when she pulled the trigger. She's used to my tuned K-Frames. I have Galloway springs on the way.

I also ordered front sights for a 2" and 3" from Taurus to experiment. Would one of you with the Ameriglo front sight measure the height for me?

The grip has a spot that will aggravate my Glock knuckle so I'll be grinding on that or changing grips.

I hope to get rounds through it this afternoon.

The speedloaders they list for this model are K-Frame. I have several types of them to try.

Site Supporter
    The speedloaders they list for this model are K-Frame. I have several types of them to try.
    Oh yeah, I bet you do!

User Tag List