Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Practices for storing and getting Long Guns into Action - Drop Safety

Site Supporter
    Having small kids made me move to all guns being stored or transported with an empty chamber. I used very much believe in having a loaded chamber and safety on.

But even stored in a safe or locking cabinet I want one or two extra steps for a gun to fire. The lack of sleep and increased bandwidth raising small children has me thinking I can totally fuck up and leave the safe open or a gun in a bag or some other dumb shit mistake. The consequences of such an event is something I don’t even want to think about.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I hadn’t thought about things from this angle and that your context for a weapon being “in use” might be different from mine. If I’m clearing a house or securing perimeter while someone else is, the rifle is “in use” so it’s loaded. It didn’t click with me that in the context of something like a lower visibility protection detail, the gun being concealed in a bag is also “in use” and needs to be loaded too.
    The bag also acts as a “holster” in the context GJM mentioned covering the safety and trigger guard.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The reason to keep the chamber empty is not because of drop safety, it is because the long gun doesn’t come with a holster. How many of the instructors here allow students to leave the line to get more ammo, hydrate or go to lunch or the bathroom with a chamber loaded long gun?
    A hot range is a matter of standard practice for us, as long as you're staying on the range. We only download if we are leaving the range location, like going back to the classroom. If you're leaving the line to go to the table, school-circle for demos or whatever, it stays hot.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I hadn’t thought about things from this angle and that your context for a weapon being “in use” might be different from mine. If I’m clearing a house or securing perimeter while someone else is, the rifle is “in use” so it’s loaded. It didn’t click with me that in the context of something like a lower visibility protection detail, the gun being concealed in a bag is also “in use” and needs to be loaded too.
    Exactly. Plus, we're not about to upload/download every time we get in/out of vehicles with bagged guns, or frankly every time we go home for the night. The gun stays in use with someone, like getting transferred to the night shift watching the residence, or it goes into the safe and gets pulled out again whenever it's needed for shift. AR15s don't magically go off, so there's no reason to fingerfuck it and encourage an ND as is the military's preferred course of action.
    Last edited by TGS; 08-31-2020 at 10:58 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

For storage in nearly ready to use role -
    I keep mine cruiser ready - empty chamber, cocked, on-safe, loaded magazine in place (1301 has a shell on the carrier).

Hunting locally, doing cop work, or deployed & working - then the rifle had a loaded magazine, on-safe, round in the chamber, etc.

Site Supporter
    I've always kept my HD shotgun cocked on an empty chamber with the safety on. If you don't shoot shotguns, having to press the release in order to load a round is not intuitive or obvious. Always just seemed safer, especially with kids around.

Being new to the AR platform I appreciate the advice in this thread.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I would guess yor are probably talking about the Saf-T Eject rounds which have been around longer - https://www.safrgun.com/rifle
    That’s it.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    A hot range is a matter of standard practice for us, as long as you're staying on the range. We only download if we are leaving the range location, like going back to the classroom. If you're leaving the line to go to the table, school-circle for demos or whatever, it stays hot.

When I took Urban Rifle 1 at Thunder Ranch, we were required to "live with our rifles." Hot rifles were carried off of the line and we had to manage them during lunch.

When I returned for Urban Rifle 2, we cleared our rifles before we left the line. I asked one to the instructors about the change and was advised that they had a string of idiots come through. I'm assuming they meant ND's from those idiots.

I've slowly changed our attitude at work, but when I first started the FLETC mentality was in full force. We shot a string and I wanted them to move back. I instructed them to safe their weapons, let them hang and move up range. Someone raised their hand and asked if they could clear their rifle before they moved back 5 yards or so.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    When I took Urban Rifle 1 at Thunder Ranch, we were required to "live with our rifles." Hot rifles were carried off of the line and we had to manage them during lunch.

When I returned for Urban Rifle 2, we cleared our rifles before we left the line. I asked one to the instructors about the change and was advised that they had a string of idiots come through. I'm assuming they meant ND's from those idiots.

I've slowly changed our attitude at work, but when I first started the FLETC mentality was in full force. We shot a string and I wanted them to move back. I instructed them to safe their weapons, let them hang and move up range. Someone raised their hand and asked if they could clear their rifle before they moved back 5 yards or so.
    I have choice words for FLETC's firearms program that I'll save for offline. Not the other divisions which were generally excellent, but definitely the firearms division. I think I'd eat my gun if I ever got assigned a detailed-instructor slot to that Center of Excellence for Weaponized Autism.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I have choice words for FLETC's firearms program that I'll save for offline. Not the other divisions which were generally excellent, but definitely the firearms division. I think I'd eat my gun if I ever got assigned a detailed-instructor slot to that Center of Excellence for Weaponized Autism.
    Have you ever been through any of the undercover schools?

Talk about "in theory there is no difference between theory and practice, in practice there is".

I told some of those "experts" they were going to get some guys killed for sure if they didn't change their approach.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I won't argue one way or the other about whether or not an AR is drop safe enough to be carried and left loaded, but I'll offer my sample of one incident as a single data point to the discussion.

I had a QD sling swivel failure that resulted in my 6933 hitting the ground hard enough to lodge a piece of gravel into the A2 birdcage far enough to prevent me from being able to remove with anything I had with me at the range that day. I was doing Bill Drills with the rifle with a transition to pistol Bill Drill and when I put it on safe and let it drop, the QD swivel came apart sending the gun muzzle down into the gravel very hard. It was when I still had an old Daniel Defense drop in quad rail and Surefire M951 on it, making it fairly front heavy. I don't know if I just got lucky or if they're more drop safe than we've been led to believe, but it withstood that hard of an impact and didn't go off. I'm not willing to run that test a bunch of times in order to get a solid answer though.

User Tag List