Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Practices for storing and getting Long Guns into Action - Drop Safety

Best Practices for storing and getting Long Guns into Action - Drop Safety

In the gigantic Beretta 1301 thread - the topic of drop safety in long-guns came up - https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....actical/page99 - This is about the fourteenth time I've seen this particular discussion pop-up in the various long-gun fora and discussions. As a result, I figured it would be good to just hit the go button on creating a 'best practices' thread and asking @TCinVA @Giving Back and anyone else to give us their thoughts on how they store long arms.

First just a few notes: The vast majority of long-guns are NOT drop-safe. ARs have floating firing pins, shotguns have hammers that are held in place by relatively small springs. The weight of a loaded shotgun or AR is sufficient that if dropped a discharge can occur, either by the firing pin moving forward or the hammer slipping the sear and striking the firing pin. How serious you treat it, is ultimately up to you, but there is a reason why shotguns are often carried in the field without rounds in the chamber or the actions broken open.

For me, because drop-safety is a concern, I do not keep long-guns with rounds chambered in my home, nor travel with them that way. I keep two long(er) guns ready - an AR-platform pistol and a 12-gauge pump.

For the AR, I have the bolt locked back and a full magazine inserted and locked into place. All I have to do is pick the gun up, slap the bolt release, flip the safety, and go to work.

For the shotgun, I have the bolt (and slide) back and a shell on the elevator, with five more loaded in the tube, safety is off, because my wife is left handed and the gun has a right handed safety. Pick the gun up, slam the slide forward, go to work.

It's that simple for me. The only additional thing - when I'm out moving about and have a weapon out to use, I try to use a sling. I don't think anyone should really consider carrying a shotgun, in particular, any significant distance without a sling. If your battle plan may involve you grabbing a long-gun and moving from a stationary position with it - sling it.

My ar stays next to my bed when I'm home. I use and very much like the brownells safe port. I keep a full mag in the gun and all I do is work the charging handle and off i go. Open bolt sounds good as well but I have a three year old running around and she can absolutely use the bolt release.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

I wouldn't leave the bolt locked back long term on an AR due to concern with compressing the action spring. I'd keep it chamber empty, bolt forward, with a loaded magazine in place. Safety on or off at your discretion, I prefer on. When the rifle is needed, you run the charging handle and get your thumb on top of the safety.

Also, the bolt will drop forward on an AR if you look at it sideways. You may end up with an unintentionally loaded rifle if you store it locked open with a loaded magazine in place.

We're discussing cruiser ready which cops have been doing for years. Chamber empty, action closed, ammunition source ready to feed. The only debate is whether the gun is stored with the hammer forward or not.

My agency answered this back in 2005 after a string of ND's. We leave the hammer cocked.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I wouldn't leave the bolt locked back long term on an AR due to concern with compressing the action spring.
    Does this still apply with the "slight upgrade" chrome silicon springs that are supposed to last longer than stainless and/or e.g. Sprinco springs?

(Just to note, I find the rest of your reasoning compelling and see no real reason this matters "operationally," it's more "larperational" curiosity.)
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    My bedside (well, they're in my closet) AR and shotgun are stored bolt closed, chamber empty, safety on. This is mostly because if a curious niece or nephew finds it, they're likely not strong enough to chamber a round or even know how.

If I had a truck gun bouncing around behind the seat I'd likely carry it the same way. "If it's predictable it's preventable." Best not to draw the eye of the capricious gods of chance.

Site Supporter
    Cruiser ready here

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Cruiser ready here
    ^^^^This^^^^^

I've been using one of those chamber "flags" that has the head of a case cast into it for years. Ejects when I pull the bolt back. I prefer knowing the chamber situation rather than assuming.

can't recall the make or model.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Every long gun loaded in my possession is "cruiser ready" - full magazine, empty chamber, safety on. Simplicity and consistency are good things.

Over the years, I have spent many days with a long gun in my hands, while hunting or for bear defense. The long gun stays loaded but with an empty chamber until stalking game, in the presence of dangerous animals, or where cover is so thick the chamber is loaded. As soon as practical, the chamber is unloaded again. You are balancing the speed of getting the long gun into action with safety. Despite best intentions, when engaged in vigorous activities, muzzles do cover body parts.

These are not just my rules. Hunting in multiple countries in Africa, in Canada, in AK and the mountain west, chambers are not loaded on guided hunts until shooting is imminent. The exceptions can be memorable. In Botswana my PH loaded his chamber and told me to as well, when he was worried about a hippo. In Zimbabwe, when we went to climb a cliff band, my PH loaded his .458 Lott, and the reason was he was worried about a black mamba and wanted the blast to be able to dissuade a strike. Same with following up shot elephant, lion, leopard and buffalo.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List