Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: grab and go solution for shotgun shells

Site Supporter
    If time is of the essence, I feed the gauge from the side saddle. But if I’m just doing a leisurely “administrative” topping off of the magazine or the side saddle, I use this Maxpedition dump pouch that clips onto my belt:

The main virtue of this pouch is that you can simply dump up to 25 rounds straight into it without having to shove the rounds into loops one at a time, and you can just clip the whole thing on your belt like a spare mag carrier.

Running around with it in various drills involving movement, with the opening cinched up just so (but still open enough for my hand to reach in and pull out shells), I haven’t ever had any rounds fall out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    When I was a real cop in a real police department, I had a shotgun racked up front with me (primarily because I didn't have an accessible rack for my rifle, but that is another story). While I did use various buttstock carriers over the years, I was happiest with a Velcro side saddle on my 870. Nonetheless, I wanted more ammunition available.

I found the best solution was the Eagle Industries shotgun bandoleer mentioned above. After pulling the shotgun from the roof rack, I could grab the bandoleer from the driver's headrest as I exited the cruiser. I did have to contend with opening the Velcro as I never attached the strap to secure the bandoleer to my belt. If I had time to do that, I would have grabbed my rifle instead of the slide gun.

The SOE Micro Rig is also a solid piece of gear. You can carry a significant number of rounds in an easy to access set-up. You also have a decent amount of room to carry IFAK's, handcuffs, lights, or whatever in the pouch/

Good luck and be safe.

I have a multi tiered system using grab and go Esstac cards that can go on my buttstock, front of my vest, or cargo pockets. Also next to my Benelli in it's bag is an Eagle bandolier. In my gear bag is a SOE Micro Rig. It all depends on what's happening and how much time I have to gear up.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Side saddle or bandolier is a pretty obvious and cheap solution. But if you're trying to get wild... May I recommend an IWI Tavor TS-12?

These work well for carrying extra shell cards that you can slap onto your side-saddle mount when the one on the gun runs dry: https://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/taco-11TA00.html

A USGI claymore mine bag works reasonably well. Load one pouch with Velcro shell cards. Store other useful stuff, such as an IFAK, in the other. Replace the sidesaddle as needed, load from that.

I keep telling myself that, one of these days, I'll break down and order a SOE rig. In the meantime, I run an Esstac card with some buck brass up and couple slugs brass down at the end by the wrist of the stock. Eight-round tube underloaded with seven buck inserted and gun otherwise cruiser ready. If I need slugs, I can slip one in the tube, run the action, and be ready to fire or immediately stuff the second slug in the tube, either faster than surfing a buckshot shell out of a gun loaded to capacity. Or run a buck up and top it off if needed and there is time. Point being that the arrangement affords me options with a minimum of fuss and bother.

To sate any paranoia, I have a second card of buck and third, shorter one of slugs less a slot with a turkey load in my dresser drawer. I adhered and tacked wide velcro to the sides of the drawer and have the buck card stuck rightside and indexed against the front corner. Slugs are index against the back corner on the left to segregate by side, front/back, and size of card to avoid a mixup as best as possible. If I need to grab the 590, I can just slip a second or third card in my pocket as seems appropriate. Being honest, that arrangement was more a result of a rainy evening and extra velcro from another project than dedicated planning but I regret nothing. It does keep the cards from getting shuffled or buried with the bonus freeing of some space on the bottom for small items.

User Tag List