Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: grab and go solution for shotgun shells

Last year after I attended the CMP M1 Garand Advanced Maintenance Course I decided to up my M1 game by purchasing one of these bad boys:

He makes one that holds 75 rounds of shotgun in 3 pouches of 25 each, so I ass-u-me each pouch either fits a conventional 25 round box or 5 five round boxes (since thats what is shown). He says: It's not made with any three-gun matches in mind. If you want speed, buy those bandoliers. This was designed for real-world situations, and in the real world the first thing you should do when being fired upon is to get your butt behind cover. Once you get behind cover you can reload when you need. And if you're under fire, you'll want all the shotgun shells you could possibly carry.

https://olongapooutfitters.com/equip...n-grab-and-go/

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Last year after I attended the CMP M1 Garand Advanced Maintenance Course I decided to up my M1 game by purchasing one of these bad boys:

He makes one that holds 75 rounds of shotgun in 3 pouches of 25 each, so I ass-u-me each pouch either fits a conventional 25 round box or 5 five round boxes (since thats what is shown). He says: It's not made with any three-gun matches in mind. If you want speed, buy those bandoliers. This was designed for real-world situations, and in the real world the first thing you should do when being fired upon is to get your butt behind cover. Once you get behind cover you can reload when you need. And if you're under fire, you'll want all the shotgun shells you could possibly carry.

https://olongapooutfitters.com/equip...n-grab-and-go/
    I have that same Garand rig and love it. The gear reminds me of the old Eagle Industries stuff, well-made and bombproof.

The shotgun rig holds a lot of shells, but it's basically three dump pouches, with all the issues therein, chiefly that you can't guarantee shell orientation when retrieving them. I think it'd make a great piece of gear for a class, so you can carry enough to refresh your shell belt/sidesaddles/whatever in between strings of fire. I've been thinking about getting one for bird hunting, as I can carry a box or two of shells and have room to collect empties.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I’ve looked at their stuff before but never ordered. Sent them a quick email as to current lead times as everything is OoS. There are a few items I would immediately order at this point in time.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I’ve looked at their stuff before but never ordered. Sent them a quick email as to current lead times as everything is OoS. There are a few items I would immediately order at this point in time.
    Brownells has several items in stock, but not the shotgun pouch. I have two of the AR mag pouches at work and they are good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I have that same Garand rig and love it. The gear reminds me of the old Eagle Industries stuff, well-made and bombproof.

The shotgun rig holds a lot of shells, but it's basically three dump pouches, with all the issues therein, chiefly that you can't guarantee shell orientation when retrieving them. I think it'd make a great piece of gear for a class, so you can carry enough to refresh your shell belt/sidesaddles/whatever in between strings of fire. I've been thinking about getting one for bird hunting, as I can carry a box or two of shells and have room to collect empties.
    Have you seen one in the flesh - I'd really like to know the pouch dimensions. Are they sized for 25 round boxes,5 round boxes, or neither?

I got to thinking about modifying these to fit into the pouches, if they'd fit, maybe by shortening or folding them:

Or maybe starting with these and reducing the load to 20 a pouch:

Though it would be a lot of money tied up in 'pouchery.'

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Have you seen one in the flesh - I'd really like to know the pouch dimensions. Are they sized for 25 round boxes,5 round boxes, or neither?

I got to thinking about modifying these to fit into the pouches, if they'd fit, maybe by shortening or folding them:

Or maybe starting with these and reducing the load to 20 a pouch:

Though it would be a lot of money tied up in 'pouchery.'

I've not seen one in person. They look like they'd fit a 25rd box of shells in each pouch, but that's just eyeballing it.

Honestly, those velcro cards will fit in a fabric AR pouch, so I just use those.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post

I have this. Sits on the shelf above where the shotgun sits, so I can grab both easily.
    Mine is the Wilderness belt but it sits in the exact same spot.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Brownells has several items in stock, but not the shotgun pouch. I have two of the AR mag pouches at work and they are good quality.

Copy that. Thanks. Also shot him an email. Quick response. He told me to tell him what I’m looking for and he’d let me know when he has it sewn up.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Name:  20200717_143217.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  39.2 KB

I prefer dump pouches over belts mainly because of real estate. Id also rather take the time to grab one shell from the same spot and index it properly then reach around my body farther and farther.

The micro rig beats both though. I effing love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I like the shell belts and I love me a good shotgun, but is the shotgun the right solution for you? An AR with a 30-round mag and a spare stuck in your back pocket may be a better option. I'm not sure what your needs are to be honest, are you running a shotgun for home defense and need to carry birdshot for critters? Or do you just want to have enough ammo for a fight with a group of meth heads?

Critters fall pretty well to 5.56 though, unless you've got bear hanging around.

Just a thought.

For carrying shells, the shell belt TC recommended is a solid choice. The other option is to stage a bird hunting vest with shells in the pockets, but I'm not fond of this setup, because getting the shells out in a good orientation for loading can be a real challenge.
    After chasing all sorts of varmints away from chicken, rabbit, and duck coupes ill grab a shotgun with hornady #4 buck in their versatite wad over any carbine.

If its varmints then i found a full shotgun, or maybe a sxs with a handfull of shells in my pocket was fine. Otherwise i want a side saddle and my micro rig.

User Tag List