Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: grab and go solution for shotgun shells

I have the SOE 12 Ga Micro Rig and is my goto for my shotgun. Keep it next to the bed along with my Tac13 (with SB brace). Super easy to throw on, store a med kit in the pouch and a flashlight. It's expensive and took a while to get but worth it in my opinion.
    https://www.originalsoegear.com/products/12ga-micro-rig
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

I don't think the SOE micro rig is available for purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    https://www.thewilderness.com/shotgu...uty-shell-belt

It's the only shell belt that doesn't suck. It will reliably hold shells.

You can fill it to capacity, or carry it with however many shells you want in it. You can easily put a dump pouch or med kit on it.

I use mine for instruction. I load it up with shells, keep at least one or two types of additional shell carriers on it and I have a med kit on it. It allows me to snap on the belt and I have enough ammo to teach a class with and a med kit handy.

Agree 100%. Wilderness gear is bombproof, and the design on this one is perfect while still being a reasonable solution for most people.

I set mine up the way Tim suggests. I have one of the two round carriers that Wilderness also makes set up just to the right of the buckle and those would be my immediate reloads, and I have a small dump pouch and IFAK to the rear. So even if I am only wearing sweatpants (as if I am caught in the middle of the night) , I can throw on this belt, have 27 rounds and med gear on me no matter what.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    It was not so pricey when I got mine, but one of these M1918 pouches has served the purpose you describe very well.
    Is there internal organization in them (i.e., loops)?

My biggest issue and one that @TCinVA has mentioned seeing in classes before too, is that dump bags make it hard to index the shells properly when you go to grab them out for a reload. The number of times I've come out with two or three shells and at least one of them is flipped backwards is too high for me to really want to use one of those unless I had no other choice. For carrying ammo you're going to put into belt holders or side-saddle or whatever they work better than a big box, but for fighting use, I'm a no, unless there isn't another good choice.

Edit:

Take the above mentioned ESSTAC cards, or Wilderness Cards from Vang Comp - slap them on a Ferro Concepts Mini-Chesty - https://ferroconcepts.com/collection...hesty-rig-mini

Bam - you got a micro-chest rig, where you can rip the cards off your chest and slap them on your gun OR feed from them off the chest rig.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

My biggest issue and one that @TCinVA has mentioned seeing in classes before too, is that dump bags make it hard to index the shells properly when you go to grab them out for a reload. The number of times I've come out with two or three shells and at least one of them is flipped backwards is too high for me to really want to use one of those unless I had no other choice. For carrying ammo you're going to put into belt holders or side-saddle or whatever they work better than a big box, but for fighting use, I'm a no, unless there isn't another good choice.

Edit:

Take the above mentioned ESSTAC cards, or Wilderness Cards from Vang Comp - slap them on a Ferro Concepts Mini-Chesty - https://ferroconcepts.com/collection...hesty-rig-mini

Bam - you got a micro-chest rig, where you can rip the cards off your chest and slap them on your gun OR feed from them off the chest rig.
    Sewn in loops, not a dump pouch, just like the original... In one of the product pictures

Sent from my TB-X704A using Tapatalk
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    I don't think the SOE micro rig is available for purchase.
    You can still add it and check out on the SOE page. I know those guys have done some batch building before so there may be a delay in shipping.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Right. They don't consistently index shells, which results in folks loading shells backwards. Using a pouch to feed side saddles works nicely. So is using a pouch to hold a few removable side saddles. A pocket full of shells isn't something I want to depend on loading from if life is on the line, though.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    https://www.thewilderness.com/shotgu...uty-shell-belt

It's the only shell belt that doesn't suck. It will reliably hold shells.

You can fill it to capacity, or carry it with however many shells you want in it. You can easily put a dump pouch or med kit on it.

I use mine for instruction. I load it up with shells, keep at least one or two types of additional shell carriers on it and I have a med kit on it. It allows me to snap on the belt and I have enough ammo to teach a class with and a med kit handy.
    I was already thinking of buying a belt with a “quick on” buckle to hold my “nightstand safe” Glock 17; something I could quickly put on top of my T-shirt and gym shorts that I sleep in if needed. Right now if I wake up at night I’m carrying the pistol around without a holster.
    Would this belt work reasonably well for that purpose? Not sure how well this would function as a pistol belt. Step 1 being always put this belt on, step 2 being grab my 590 12-ga from the closet if I have time...

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I was already thinking of buying a belt with a “quick on” buckle to hold my “nightstand safe” Glock 17; something I could quickly put on top of my T-shirt and gym shorts that I sleep in if needed. Right now if I wake up at night I’m carrying the pistol around without a holster.
    Would this belt work reasonably well for that purpose? Not sure how well this would function as a pistol belt. Step 1 being always put this belt on, step 2 being grab my 590 12-ga from the closet if I have time...
    It will. One of the guys from Wilderness - who was one of the guys who helped this belt into production - runs his this way. I am almost sure there are pics on the Wilderness webpage that shows his setup from a couple of angles.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

I have this. Sits on the shelf above where the shotgun sits, so I can grab both easily.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List