Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: grab and go solution for shotgun shells

grab and go solution for shotgun shells

In search of a solution for carrying shotgun shells in a quick need situation. I live in a rural setting. Occasionally the need arises to rapidly exit the bed and head outside. I need a solution to carry more shells that allows me to grab it and go. Maybe a shell holding belt that could be snapped around waist? Also pondering a belt with pouch but wonder if that would tend to dump shells out with lots of movement. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Chris

I assume you’re either already using a side saddle, have ruled one out for some reason, or are looking to carry even more shells than the side-saddle will allow?

Any idea how many shells you’re looking to carry?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CDH View Post
    In search of a solution for carrying shotgun shells in a quick need situation. I live in a rural setting. Occasionally the need arises to rapidly exit the bed and head outside. I need a solution to carry more shells that allows me to grab it and go. Maybe a shell holding belt that could be snapped around waist? Also pondering a belt with pouch but wonder if that would tend to dump shells out with lots of movement. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Chris
    https://www.thewilderness.com/shotgu...uty-shell-belt

It's the only shell belt that doesn't suck. It will reliably hold shells.

You can fill it to capacity, or carry it with however many shells you want in it. You can easily put a dump pouch or med kit on it.

I use mine for instruction. I load it up with shells, keep at least one or two types of additional shell carriers on it and I have a med kit on it. It allows me to snap on the belt and I have enough ammo to teach a class with and a med kit handy.
    3/15/2016

I have a bandolier that I added a through-the-belt shell holder to increase it's capacity. I'd have to go check, but 20-30 shells total?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

TC nailed it. The Wilderness shell belt is the way to go. Add an IFAK on it, hell you can even do a holster if you like with the right belt attachment.

Buckle it on, and you've got 25 rounds that won't fall out, in a belt made by people who built their reputation on bomb-proof belts.

I like the shell belts and I love me a good shotgun, but is the shotgun the right solution for you? An AR with a 30-round mag and a spare stuck in your back pocket may be a better option. I'm not sure what your needs are to be honest, are you running a shotgun for home defense and need to carry birdshot for critters? Or do you just want to have enough ammo for a fight with a group of meth heads?

Critters fall pretty well to 5.56 though, unless you've got bear hanging around.

Just a thought.

For carrying shells, the shell belt TC recommended is a solid choice. The other option is to stage a bird hunting vest with shells in the pockets, but I'm not fond of this setup, because getting the shells out in a good orientation for loading can be a real challenge.

Depending on what you want to spend and the set up you want you also have the SOE 12 ga rig.

https://www.originalsoegear.com/products/12ga-micro-rig

There is also the discontinued Eagle Patrol Bandoleer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eagle-Indus...-/311863570649

Thanks to all for the input! I believe I'm going to try out the Wilderness Systems belt for this particular purpose. However, the SOE gear carrier was great to find out about. It, too, has a purpose for me. Thanks again to all.

Y'all would get a kick of the occurrences around here.

It was not so pricey when I got mine, but one of these M1918 pouches has served the purpose you describe very well.

I like these, because you can carry them in AR pouches and slap them on a Velcro side saddle as needed.

Name:  0FC15E4F-95D0-479A-ACE5-600945A3B461.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  45.6 KB

Name:  448A0B0F-62E3-46A5-B5ED-5A31A27F6B2B.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  48.5 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List