Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2" snubby + 158gr 357 Magnum = Sore hand

No question that accuracy is paramount, but power is also a factor. Otherwise, the pros would all be carrying .22s.

I totally agree the lightweight snubbies are completely incompatible with magnum ammo. I fired 2 .357 rounds through a fellow shooter's Scandium snubbie, and returned the revolver and 3 unfired rounds to its owner. Never again ...

That said, I do carry .357 mags in my EDC snubbie, a Hogue-stocked Ruger SP101. I'm too old to be a really competitive shooter, anymore, but can consistently pass the old 5x5 test (5 rounds in a 5" circle at 5 yards, within 5 seconds, repeated 5 times). I use 125 gr SJHPs, as I believe this is the most effective round available for defensive use in this cartridge.

I carry the SP101 in preference to a lighter weapon, as I can't control this powerful round from a lighter platform. If I carry my LCR for any reason, I use .38 +P 135 gr. Gold Dots.

BTW the grasp second from the bottom with support hand thumb wrapped around the back is what did me in:
    http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/.../miculek2.html

Name:  Jerry2-6.gif
Views: 286
Size:  33.1 KB
    Last edited by Canyonrat; 09-02-2020 at 11:24 PM.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonrat View Post
    BTW the grasp second from the bottom with support hand thumb wrapped around the back is what did me in:
    http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/.../miculek2.html

Name:  Jerry2-6.gif
Views: 286
Size:  33.1 KB
    It's a good grip for minimizing the tendency of a J frame with typical concealment stocks on it to squirm in the hand as you work the trigger.

Stocks make a huge difference on revolvers and most J's ship with stocks meant to hide the gun rather than make shooting it comfortable.

Name:  bodyguards.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  47.6 KB

The Rogers stocks on the stainless Bodyguard at the top make shooting it even with hot ammo very comfortable. It makes accuracy with the little revolver much easier, to the point that hitting bullseyes at 25 yards is easily doable. But those same stocks turn it into essentially a belt carry gun, giving it the same carry profile as a larger framed revolver that holds more ammunition and has better sights.

The blued gun has a set of Pachmayr stocks on it which are a nice in-between size. Smaller than the hand-filling Rogers stocks, but still larger than the typical "boot" style stocks that conceal most easily on revolvers. It's still a tad large for some pockets.

The 638 on the bottom has Crimson Trace stocks which mimic the size and overall profile of typical concealment stocks. They are durable, but slick and require applying a fair amount of grip force to keep the gun from squirming in the hand as you work the trigger. I've found the crush grip Miculek shows in the photo works well in keeping the gun still as you apply the torque necessary to work the trigger. The downside is that it stacks the two basal thumb joints on top of one another to lock the revolver down...which can concentrate felt recoil in the right joint. That can suck.

But with any of the small, lightweight revolvers full power 158 grain .357 is going to suck no matter how you hold it or what stocks you have on the gun.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 09-03-2020 at 10:49 AM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonrat View Post
    Kydex offerings been slim for the K6s. I just got a Concealment Express yesterday, but I am not a fan of the lack of sweat guard.
    I ordered a C&G Covert and received it earlier today. Looks sturdy and fits well. Will start giving it a test ride right away.

I like to shoot 158-grain lead SWC .357 Magnum at ~1100 fps from my three-inch SP-101. The reason for that is the barrel has the Weigand Hybra-Port treatment, the trigger is rounded, and the revolver wears the factory Ruger rubber grip with Zytel insert. It reduces the recoil impulse and muzzle rise from the pistol. The Ruger grip also fits my hand. The same load I find uncomfortable in a K-frame round butt as it does not fit my hand as well.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I like to shoot 158-grain lead SWC .357 Magnum at ~1100 fps from my three-inch SP-101. The reason for that is the barrel has the Weigand Hybra-Port treatment, the trigger is rounded, and the revolver wears the factory Ruger rubber grip with Zytel insert. It reduces the recoil impulse and muzzle rise from the pistol. The Ruger grip also fits my hand. The same load I find uncomfortable in a K-frame round butt as it does not fit my hand as well.
    I never liked shooting Magnums through K-Frames with round-butts, either, and had a similar experience with the rounded GP100 factory grip. I would rather shoot an SP101, with its factory square-ish grip, than the same load through a rounded-K or rounded-GP100 grip. My several GP100 revolvers now all wear the original-pattern squared-butt grip, regardless of which grip was on the weapons, when I got them.

It also helps that the shooter can hold so high, on an SP101, with the factory grip, resulting in a quite low bore axis. Even without porting, there is very little muzzle rise.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List