Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2" snubby + 158gr 357 Magnum = Sore hand

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

If we were talking about medium frame guns like a 2.5” K frame, 2.5” Python, or 2.5” Dan Wesson, then shootability becomes a much smaller issue. In that size gun, I would not hesitate to choose a .357. However, the subject of this thread is tiny, super lightweight J frames, for which the advantage is debatable, and the disadvantages are painfully clear.
    I agree 100%. My J frames are all .38 Special, and I carry either Golden Saber +P, or Federal Micro HST +P. My wife loves bigger calibers, hence the Smith&Wesson 627 I just traded for. I shot someone’s little .40 S&W, and handed it right back. My Sig P229 in .40 is a pleasure to shoot.

You need the new soft rubber over molded Hogues on that K6s. Much, much, much better than the Kimber Core. They take the sting out of the hot magnum loads. I still carry +P 38SPECS but with the Hogues I can run toasty magnum loads without the blood and tears. 38SPECs are still very pleasant and controllable in comparison.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Do we know of any component of stopping power that is more critical than accuracy?
    I have not seen evidence that anything is more critical.

The accuracy aspect - or maybe I should say the "controllability" aspect - is on each one of us to figure out for ourselves. Once I admitted to myself that the hard kickers were taking me too long to recover from between shots, I had to decide whether I was going to get serious about my limitations or go Walter Mitty. I chose the former. What I could handle from my late teens until my mid-40s changed because my own physical abilities changed; it was the joints, the muscles, accumulated injuries, the eyes... lots of variables. They are still changing, and at a faster rate now (or maybe it seems like a faster rate just because there is more road behind me than in front of me).

Just like with automobiles, motorcycles and aircraft: if I can't really control it I probably shouldn't operate it.
    Last edited by gato naranja; 09-01-2020 at 08:36 AM.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    You need the new soft rubber over molded Hogues on that K6s. Much, much, much better than the Kimber Core. They take the sting out of the hot magnum loads. I still carry +P 38SPECS but with the Hogues I can run toasty magnum loads without the blood and tears. 38SPECs are still very pleasant and controllable in comparison.
    @medmo, so it sounds like you have had both the Control Core by Crimson Trace, and the Hogue grips? I had looked for a comparison. Are the Hogues significantly larger, side-by-side? I was particularly concerned about the Hogues being soft rubber they would be grippier on a shirt and more likely to print. Also not a huge fan of the pronounced finger grooves.

After this experience I have no plans to shoot .357 Mag out of that K6s again any time soon.
    Last edited by Canyonrat; 09-01-2020 at 09:32 AM.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonrat View Post
    Crimson Trace
    Not Kimber-specific, but I have a set of Crimson Trace rubber overmolded laser grips on a 2.25" DAO SP101 and prefer them to any other grips - laser or no laser - I have used on this gun. The shape alone is peculiarly good.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

@medmo, so it sounds like you have had both the Control Core by Crimson Trace, and the Hogue grips? I had looked for a comparison. Are the Hogues significantly larger, side-by-side? I was particularly concerned about the Hogues being soft rubber they would be grippler on a shirt and more likely to print. Also not a huge fan of the pronounced finger grooves.

After this experience I have no plans to shoot .357 Mag out of that K6s again any time soon.
    Yes, I have the Core. See below for comparison. The Core were a huge upgrade over the factory wood which drew blood after a few cylinders full of toasty mag loads. I still had palm sting with the Core grips. No palm sting with the Hogue and toasty mag loads are now shootable. The Hogue feel softer and have more palm swell. Think that leads to more shock absorbency and a firmer grip. Even discounting the recoil absorbency I still prefer the Hogue because I feel like I can get a more firm and higher grip. I have AIWB-ed all three grips with my K6s under an untucked t. Haven’t noticed printing or fabric grabbing with the Hogue.Name:  9673FFB7-7D73-4E49-8EFA-18AF1C2BB8EE.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  71.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Yes, I have the Core. See below for comparison. The Core were a huge upgrade over the factory wood which drew blood after a few cylinders full of toasty mag loads. I still had palm sting with the Core grips. No palm sting with the Hogue and toasty mag loads are now shootable. The Hogue feel softer and have more palm swell. Think that leads to more shock absorbency and a firmer grip. Even discounting the recoil absorbency I still prefer the Hogue because I feel like I can get a more firm and higher grip. I have AIWB-ed all three grips with my K6s under an untucked t. Haven’t noticed printing or fabric grabbing with the Hogue.
    Thanks for the pic and info! Any comment on what holster you AIWB? Kydex offerings been slim for the K6s. I just got a Concealment Express yesterday, but I am not a fan of the lack of sweat guard.

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I have not seen evidence that anything is more critical.

The accuracy aspect - or maybe I should say the "controllability" aspect - is on each one of us to figure out for ourselves. Once I admitted to myself that the hard kickers were taking me too long to recover from between shots, I had to decide whether I was going to get serious about my limitations or go Walter Mitty. I chose the former. What I could handle from my late teens until my mid-40s changed because my own physical abilities changed; it was the joints, the muscles, accumulated injuries, the eyes... lots of variables. They are still changing, and at a faster rate now (or maybe it seems like a faster rate just because there is more road behind me than in front of me).

Just like with automobiles, motorcycles and aircraft: if I can't really control it I probably shouldn't operate it.
    Wise words.

I backed away from N-Frames, and big-bore Magnums, about 1990. I could only get enough finger in the trigger, in DA mode, if the trigger was thinnest version, preferably with the face and front edges rounded-off, and the skimpiest of grip/stock panels. I fired far too many Magnum rounds, in the Eighties, with grips that compelled me to use an “h” hold, which was unhealthy for the base joint of my thumb, and my wrist. I only kept the one N-Frame, that had/has the most sentimental value, my former-SAPD-issued Model 58 duty revolver, that became my personally-owned duty revolver. I probably did the most damage with my Model 629, which had the standard wider trigger.

After two .45 autos presented me with issues, I reverted to duty revolvers, In 1991, being comfortable, by then, with .357 Mag street performance, having accepted that big bores were simply unnecessary for human opponents. I had sold or traded the S&W L-Frames, with which I started, but had a wonderful GP100, with factory grips that made me wonder if the designer was a twin, from whom I had been separated at birth.

I was still shooting max-pressure 125-grain ammo from SP101 revolvers as recently as the Snubby Summit, in 2005, but within a relatively few years had backed-away from the full-pressure stuff in anything smaller/lighter than full-lug GP100 revolvers. (Edited to add: I was age 44, at the time of the Snubby Summit.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Thanks for the pic and info! Any comment on what holster you AIWB? Kydex offerings been slim for the K6s. I just got a Concealment Express yesterday, but I am not a fan of the lack of sweat guard.
    See below and please don’t judge. It’s a Desantis Nemesis that i “Gomer-fied” with adding a pad for grip tuck. Not pretty but it works. I’ve been looking for something in kydex also. Please let me know how CE works out or if you find any other promising options? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My next snub will probably be a big bore, but there is nothing pleasant about shooting 158-grain magnums from anything shorter than a 4" barrel. I won't/don't shoot them in a 3" gun, lighter 110s or 125s are ideal for 3" guns.

For lightweight snubs - Gold Dot short barrel, 158-grain Remington LHPs, or wadcutters - that's basically all I carry.

User Tag List