Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2" snubby + 158gr 357 Magnum = Sore hand

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    There's a reason why people who really know small revolvers often keep them loaded with wadcutters. To really get what is possible from a 158 grain .357 magnum load you need at least a 4" barrel. And even then, it's going to be pretty damn zippy even out of an N frame with a longer barrel.

In a snub you're mainly getting extra flash and hellacious, downright painful recoil. A combination of revolver and ammo that absolutely punishes you with every press of the trigger will help guarantee that the compromised performance you get from that .357 load is much less likely to be delivered to a spot on the dude who wants to hurt you that will count.

It's going to take multiple shots with a handgun of any sort to make someone stop their actions, so if you're using a snub you want to prioritize the ability to make multiple accurate shots in a hurry. That almost always contra-indicates .357 magnum loads in small revolvers.

I keep my model 12 loaded with match wadcutters. They shoot a tad low, but accurately...and crucially I can make multiple shots to a pretty small target at speed because the recoil isn't a problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonrat View Post
    Wow, I had seen people comment about a "stinger" or say their hand was sore the next day after shooting 357 Magnum from a small revolver. But my right hand near the base of the thumb is sore and so far not improving. Wondering if I just seriously irritated the joint, or if I could have a minor fracture.

Story behind this is I got interested in the Kimber K6s, and settled on a 2" with the enclosed hammer and stock rubber grip. This was to use as an alternative to my typical compact 15-rd 9mm type of semi-auto, possibly more comfortable to carry. At the range I tried .38 special first, no prob in the K6s. So I had some old 357 Mag RWS range ammo, FMJ round-nose 158 grain. Got through about 30 rounds I think. The first couple cylinders hurt, but of course I told myself to "man up" and shoot more. This was a week and a half ago, in certain directions of stress the base of my thumb is still really complaining.

So, I am 6'4", 210lbs and have really big hands, to the point where most XL gloves are too small. I shot a bunch of 357 Magnum out of my GP100 just a few weeks back, no issue. I have never had hand-pain after shooting in my life, and I have shot some big rounds like .45 Super out of an HK USP and never noticed anything afterwards. It seems like a combination of that short grip on the K6s and the completely exposed backstrap did a number on the base of my thumb. I have the "Control Core" grip ordered and on the way from Kimber but they are slow to ship. Probably a good thing, and also good that the range I belong to was closed for de-leading this week or I would have been abusing my hand with some other pistol. Big Dummy.
    I imagine most shoot .38s to practice with. I imagien practice is often minimal.
    My first revolver was a 44mag. It was a beast. But when I shot specials through it, it was a happy kitten.

Site Supporter
    My model 60-9 has had exactly five 110gr .357s through it. It wasn’t as obnoxious as I thought it was going to be, but it also wasn’t 158gr softpoints or hollow points. It was the last time any kind of .357 have been loaded in it. I may handload some 160gr 1000fps hard cast for hiking with it at some point.

Maybe.

I carry it sometimes, but mostly shoot it for practice instead of shooting my 642. My 642 has had some +p, and a couple boxes of full power 158s, but mostly gets light loads that aren’t much, if any, more powerful than a .380, and carried with match wadcutters.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I was at a range next to a guy and his girlfriend. He handed her an ultralight .357 snubby and stood smirking as she fired it. BOOM. Then she quietly said, "You asshole," put the gun down and walked out. I'm guessing that guy didn't get laid.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    carried with match wadcutters
    This is what I ended up carrying in a relatively heavy 2.25" SP101 despite chronic leading. Anything much stouter and my fast follow-up shots become more pattern than group. It isn't popgun recoil, but it is as close as anything gets to it in that revolver.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    This is what I ended up carrying in a relatively heavy 2.25" SP101 despite chronic leading. Anything much stouter and my fast follow-up shots become more pattern than group. It isn't popgun recoil, but it is as close as anything gets to it in that revolver.
    Out of stock, and prices are up if they were in stock:

https://precisiononeammunition.com/p...48gr-cpwc-new/

Really like their plated wadcutters to avoid the leading issues. Seems like quality ammo and my one interaction with their customer service folks left me thinking they were nice folks. I'd ordered a case and got a call out of the blue: they couldn't fulfill the case out of one lot but if I'd be willing to wait a week for shipment they'd spin up a production run so everything would be from the same lot or they could ship a mixed lot immediately. Really nice touch on their part.

Site Supporter
    I first learned of this video from another post on this forum, and it is relevant here. One of the points made is that out of such a short barrel, .357 provides no more effectiveness than 9mm, at a cost of more shooter discomfort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YTOV4dYLQE

I tried one of the super-lightweight .357 revolvers once at a Smith & Wesson event. The first shot jammed the cylinder release into my thumb. The next 4 were not quite as bad, but were certainly not comfortable, fast, or accurate. The 5 holes in my target were in a very wide pattern (not group). Although the ability to shoot 3.57 is neat from a metalurgical standpoint, I would rather treat such guns as .38+p with added durability.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I first learned of this video from another post on this forum, and it is relevant here. One of the points made is that out of such a short barrel, .357 provides no more effectiveness than 9mm, at a cost of more shooter discomfort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YTOV4dYLQE

I tried one of the super-lightweight .357 revolvers once at a Smith & Wesson event. The first shot jammed the cylinder release into my thumb. The next 4 were not quite as bad, but were certainly not comfortable, fast, or accurate. The 5 holes in my target were in a very wide pattern (not group). Although the ability to shoot 3.57 is neat from a metalurgical standpoint, I would rather treat such guns as .38+p with added durability.
    Just watched the video, coincidentally while carrying a LCR 9mm.

A much better comparison of 9mm and .357, in both short and longer barrels: https://youtu.be/CD2t_qG9dls
    Too long didn’t watch? NOT EVEN CLOSE 😉

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    A much better comparison of 9mm and .357, in both short and longer barrels: https://youtu.be/CD2t_qG9dls
    Too long didn’t watch? NOT EVEN CLOSE 😉
    Don't make me call the Doc...
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....f-Defense-Ammo

User Tag List