Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Riot Control and...Bicycles?

Riot Control and...Bicycles?

Could someone please explain the thought process of putting officers with bicycles on the line during these protests/riots?

FWIW, I also see a lot of them with no hand protection either.

Thanks

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Could someone please explain the thought process of putting officers with bicycles on the line during these protests/riots?

FWIW, I also see a lot of them with no hand protection either.

Thanks
    Cops on bikes are mobile, nimble and less threatening /provocative than traditional riot gear such as shields. Bikes are used a a mobile barrier and to push crowds out of contested space.

This video of Philly PD clearing out anti ICE protestors illustrates it better than explaining it.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Cops on bikes are mobile, nimble and less threatening /provocative than traditional riot gear such as shields. Bikes are used a a mobile barrier and to push crowds out of contested space.

This video of Philly PD clearing out anti ICE protestors illustrates it better than explaining it.

Thanks. It just looks to me like the have their hands full of bike and can't do much else in some cases. I'm talking strictly on the line use not patrol.

Site Supporter
    Thanks. It just looks to me like the have their hands full of bike and can't do much else in some cases. I'm talking strictly on the line use not patrol.
    Did you watch the video ? They form a line an use the line of bikes to push the protestors out of contested space. The last contested event I worked the local PD bike patrol was very effective in getting in between two hostile groups and using lines of bikes to separate them.

It’s not a 100% replacement for a traditional shield wall but regardless of what it looks like to you, it works in most conditions.

I'm most concerned about the level of protection it provides to the officer. That's all.

I don think the intent here is to use this tactic in all types of events. The homeless and such that were moved out were relatively passive for the most part. That would not work with people who have committed themselves to the "fuck the police" mantra and are actually looking to injure cops.

I'm still of the option that armored battle horsesand lances would be better, but then I'm a traditionalist after all.

Site Supporter
    I'm most concerned about the level of protection it provides to the officer. That's all.
    Nothing is a one size fits all solution. Full on armor with shield wall and non-lethal aerosol irritants backed with batons has downsides as well.

The bikes work fine for pop up protests or situations were you're pretty sure based on intel that it wouldn't turn violent. Prior to May 29, that was probably 98% of all protests.

But I don't think they have a place for long protracted engagements with anarchists like you see in Portland / Seattle. Shorts and polo shirts don't work don't well when the opposition is tossing IED's and sewer pipe caps at you. Department leaders shouldn't deploy those assets to the violent encounters that are happening currently.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Seattle seems to do this bike riot squad thing very well.

The main advantage seems to be speedy deployment into a relatively strong line. They armour up the bike/riot cops pretty heavily.

A lot of the Seattle/Portland riot control tactics seem to be relying on units that are more mobile than the traditional heavy shield line...Seattle has the bikes, Portland RRU is using the vans with guys hanging on racks.

Anyways, I think its an attempt to counter to the "Be Water" strategy that antifa has adopted with speed.

I think it might have been the DC police I saw who appeared to be having a hard time

User Tag List