Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redi-Mag - useful or no?

Redi-Mag - useful or no?

Redi-mags, Redimags, Redi-Mods - all the names for future search purposes.

Once upon a time, they were all the rage for carrying a spare mag on the gun. No ancillary gear required. But they seem to have disappeared from the marketplace.

I still have one floating around. Was thinking about it from the PDW/truck gun/compact AR pistol perspective. Does it make any sense? being able to have 60 rounds on the gun with nothing else to grab or carry is appealing. The bulk and manual of arms are the obvious drawbacks. I suppose they're in the way if you have a LAW folder, too (why does a LAW fold to that side, anyway?).

Anyone still a user of these?
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post

Once upon a time, they were all the rage for carrying a spare mag on the gun. No ancillary gear required. But they seem to have disappeared from the marketplace.

I still have one floating around. Was thinking about it from the PDW/truck gun/compact AR pistol perspective. Does it make any sense? being able to have 60 rounds on the gun with nothing else to grab or carry is appealing. The bulk and manual of arms are the obvious drawbacks. I suppose they're in the way if you have a LAW folder, too (why does a LAW fold to that side, anyway?).

Back in the bad old days, I used one for some stuff.

If you're going to be humping the gun around for days, without shooting it, it's a real pain in the ass. It makes the gun heavier, and provides little nooks and crannies for vegetation and stuff to get caught in.

If you're going on a short-term, CQB type thing where there's a possibility you're going to do a BUNCH of shooting, it has its uses.

As Joe Homemaker, it's hard for me to envision a scenario where I'm going to wind up in the encyclopedia after dumping a single 30-round mag, let alone having to reload with another, but your reality may be different.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

A quick and cheap method for 2 mags on the gun is to take the styrofoam or plastic holder that is used in 50 round pistol ammo boxes and tape it between two mags, with the second mag being a bit higher to allow brass to eject clear the one on the right hand side of the gun. I learned that in a LAV class years ago and keep two loaded like that in my house gun.

I don't really think of it as only being useful if I burn through 30 rounds in a gun fight and need to reload, but also in the event of a mag failure/malfunction.

As far as why the Law folder folds to the left, probably because most people are right handed. When you deploy the gun from a bag or whatever it's stored in, you're likely to grab the pistol grip with your dominant hand and flip the stock/brace over into position with your off hand.

Re. your question, a Redi-Mod went on my AR when I SBR'd it in 2007 & it get's used once/twice a month as the SBR is my 3G RF currently.

That said if it were my bedroom long gun, only 1 mag would be in it but not relevant as the SBR's in a security cabinet & my bump in the night LG is a 1301T.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 08-30-2020 at 01:32 PM.

I use a Magpul Maglink with two 40rd PMAGS's because it was a cheaper solution than a D-60. I love it for 3-Gun. It does add weight to the gun, but that doesn't matter much when you're shooting 90 second stages. I wouldn't count it out for a duty gun, but you might be have to hold down a scene until SWAT arrives and weight might be a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Re. your question, a Redi-Mod went on my AR when I SBR'd it in 2007 & it get's used once/twice a month as the SBR is my 3G RF currently.

That said if it were my bedroom long gun, only 1 mag would be in it but not relevant as the SBR's in a security cabinet & my bump in the night LG is a 1301T.
    Mine has been living on my SBR for a long time too. It's not primary for the house, that's a Glock I can run 1-handled more easily while managing kids and/or dogs.

I was thinking putting this on the AR pistol that may ride in the truck occasionally might be a logical niche. It's pretty LARPy (getting less so by the day, apparently), but if I had to bail out of a vehicle and had it with 2 mags attached, that seems handy...
    --Josh

The LAW folder would block the ejection port if it swung to the right of the gun.

As far as the Redi-Mag, everyone I know that used to use them for various reasons has switched over to Magpul D-60s by now. Comparable weight without having to reload during the 60 rounds, not having to deal with the whole Redi-Mag and all its downsides, and the D-60 can be easily replaced with a standard 30 rounder if you are going to have to be carrying the rifle for a while.

Site Supporter
    My home defense AR’s have the Magpul Maglink connecting two magazines.

I have an is inside threat gun with 55 grain bullets and a 300 lumen scout light. And an outdoor threat gun with 77 grain copper for some penetration into vehicles, 600 lumen scout light, and a 1-4 optic.

The more rounds is secondary, I like having a replacement for a part of the gun that fails. One of my take aways from Thunder Ranch Urban Rifle. The extra rounds are good as I am 45 to 60 minutes from a police response.

They make the guns heavier and handle different. Another solution would be a support bag with the gun for extra mags and maybe some medical but I think the Maglink is simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by user12358 View Post
    The LAW folder would block the ejection port if it swung to the right of the gun.
    Can't (shouldn't) be fired while folded anyway?

Although... The forward assist is probably the real issue there. That side isn't flat to fold against.
    --Josh

Can't (shouldn't) be fired while folded anyway?

Although... The forward assist is probably the real issue there. That side isn't flat to fold against.
    On a DI AR it wouldn't matter if you fired it because the bolt doesn't move and nothing is ejected but the LAW was a pretty popular option for folding stocks on AR variants and other rifle that don't have a bolt carrier that cycles into the buffer tube before the vertical M1913 rail attachment method really took over.

User Tag List