Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redi-Mag - useful or no?

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I’ve still got some metal “jungle clips” around here somewhere for bolting 2 mags together, similar to the Maglink. They’ve got their pros and cons but both seem like a more KISS solution than Redimag.

It’s a game of odds. Inside my home if I need more than 30 rounds I’m probably screwed anyway. Should the need arise to have a running gun battle around the neighborhood I should have time to throw on the war belt.

Redimag could also be the greatest thing since canned beer and I’m just missing out, you don’t know until you try I guess. I know there’s also some stocks that hold a spare mag.

I had a bit of a friendship with the founder of Boonie Packer many years ago. Helped him T&E some gear, etc.

I have what , I think, may be one of the first aluminum redimags and I still keep it attached to my suppressed SBR LARP gun.
    https://www.redi-mag.com/product/mac...inum-redi-mag/

Back then, Travis Haley was the new hotness and he advocated for them, and he and Blue Force Gear where cutting down the steel ones to make them less bulky, cover less of the mag, and reduce weight. Boonie Packer was supplying the OG models to BFG for them to cut them down and sell them as the Redimod, but he still felt like if you wanted to save weight going aluminum was better and so he made the aluminum version

I don’t necessarily anticipate dragging out that particular AR and using it to defend the homestead, but it’s also the gun that comes with us when we evacuate for hurricanes, and I like knowing that I have an extra mag on there.

BTW there are several versions in the market. One drops BOTH mags when you press the mag release on the gun, and the other drops the mag in the Redimag independently with a second button on the device. I prefer the latter, and the aluminum ones come, I think, only in the independent format. I also believe that only the latter is available if buying new.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Good history there.

I don’t think you can readily get a simultaneous release version anymore, but they’re floating around in the used market. Having had hands on both - I see the appeal of the simultaneous release model but really the potential speed can be overcome with training. There’s a lot more fiddlelyness to the simul version if you’re not trying to do a speed reload.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I had a bit of a friendship with the founder of Boonie Packer many years ago. Helped him T&E some gear, etc.

I have what , I think, may be one of the first aluminum redimags and I still keep it attached to my suppressed SBR LARP gun.
    https://www.redi-mag.com/product/mac...inum-redi-mag/

Back then, Travis Haley was the new hotness and he advocated for them, and he and Blue Force Gear where cutting down the steel ones to make them less bulky, cover less of the mag, and reduce weight. Boonie Packer was supplying the OG models to BFG for them to cut them down and sell them as the Redimod, but he still felt like if you wanted to save weight going aluminum was better and so he made the aluminum version

I don’t necessarily anticipate dragging out that particular AR and using it to defend the homestead, but it’s also the gun that comes with us when we evacuate for hurricanes, and I like knowing that I have an extra mag on there.

BTW there are several versions in the market. One drops BOTH mags when you press the mag release on the gun, and the other drops the mag in the Redimag independently with a second button on the device. I prefer the latter, and the aluminum ones come, I think, only in the independent format. I also believe that only the latter is available if buying new.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I've got two redi-mods, and they fill the role for what I need them for. To me, they're better than a 60rd drum which I see some guys going to. Don't get the simultaneous release one. if you have a malfunction that requires you to strip out a mag, you might find yourself dumping the good mag on the ground too

I think couplers (like MagPul's) get you there, but in a detachable way.

As to why they fell out of favor, I'm not sure. After hearing the stories about Takur Ghar, I'm not a fan of having all/most of my available rounds in one or two 100rd magazines; yet, I've seen guys displaying work rifles with 60rd or 100rd magazines in them.

In what role are you using it?

Mounted or dismounted infantry? Nope, not using it. I've got enough load-bearing capability available;

In uniformed cop work? Yup, I'm using it and I did from the latter 00s until I retired last year. If I had to grab the carbine, patrol rifle, whatever from the rack and go - it meant I always had a reload on the weapon.

Decent, normal human? YMMV. If for some reason some group decided to target you and your home, it might be a good idea.

Using the Redi-Mod ... unlike a buttstock mag pouch, you can work bi-laterally without issues;
    ... unlike magazines clamped together, you don't lose your spare magazine after you fat-finger the mag release unintentionally;

I've got one on my primary and more than one in a box in the event I need to spin up another AR.

Site Supporter
    I rather like the Redi-mag or the buttstock mag pouches for admin clearing and carry of a conventional 30 round mag, that allows me to stay 'full' on my IOTV/Belt/whatever other gear I'm carrying without having to keep an empty pouch available for the loose mag. Redi-mags are all but extinct from the Army, though. There's a similar mag carrier used by the IDF that orients the magazine 90* forward of the mag well so it's immediately clear that the weapon is not loaded, and I think that works better for this purpose than the Redi-mag, which could seem to be a mag in the well from the wrong perspective. That's why I preferred the buttstock pouch over the Redi-mag.

Quote Originally Posted by JJN View Post
    I think couplers (like MagPul's) get you there, but in a detachable way.
    I'm not a fan of the couplers. The top round of the spare mag is not secure, and the mags are susceptible to dirt, mud, etc. The redi-mod, covers the mag, and also takes the pressure off the feed lips of the second mag. And if you have a mag failure with a coupled mag, it's a bitch to get the gun back running, because you're probably clearing the rifle with a coupled mag in your hand.

The redi-mod has the added benefit of always keeping the reload in the same, accessible place (chest v. belt). If you do utilize the spare mag, feed another mag into the redimag when you can. Also, if you need to use your spare mag, and you're in a confined spot, or lying on your spare mags, loading from the redimag is way easier.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I'm not a fan of the couplers. The top round of the spare mag is not secure, and the mags are susceptible to dirt, mud, etc. The redi-mod, covers the mag, and also takes the pressure off the feed lips of the second mag. And if you have a mag failure with a coupled mag, it's a bitch to get the gun back running, because you're probably clearing the rifle with a coupled mag in your hand.

The redi-mod has the added benefit of always keeping the reload in the same, accessible place (chest v. belt). If you do utilize the spare mag, feed another mag into the redimag when you can. Also, if you need to use your spare mag, and you're in a confined spot, or lying on your spare mags, loading from the redimag is way easier.
    Legit points I had not considered. Thanks.

User Tag List