Thread: S&W 986 questions and issues

Site Supporter

S&W 986 questions and issues

Current panic aside, I mostly shoot 9mm and we shoot 9mm at work so I’ve toyed with the idea of a 986.

So aside from the issues with the Ti cylinders, what are the other pitfalls ?

I recall hearing something about accuracy issues due to S&W using .38/.357 barrels on some or all of these and resulting in accuracy issues with the .356/.355 bullets used in 9mm.

Moon clips are required, I believe. At least if you want the empties to come out of the gun. Not a big deal, really, especially for a "fun" or "gamer" gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Moon clips are required, I believe. At least if you want the empties to come out of the gun. Not a big deal, really, especially for a "fun" or "gamer" gun.
    I’m familiar with moon clips from .45 ACRO revolvers.

My concern is reports that S&W uses .357 barrels and that for any real accuracy you need to load custom 9mm loads with .358 bullets.

Don’t own one but found a couple threads from the revolver guys on Brian Enos and they basically say - great with 357/358, shitty w 355.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Don’t own one but found a couple threads from the revolver guys on Brian Enos and they basically say - great with 357/358, shitty w 355.
    I saw those. I was hoping to hear otherwise - if it needs custom ammo it ain’t for me.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    How do the convertible .357/9mm Blackhawks run with 9mm?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The Blackhawks in my experience shoot loose groups with 9mm but tightened up with 358 diameter slugs at 158 weight. In other words, 4-5 inches in 25 yards with 9mm. 2-3 inches with the 357 or better.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    How do the convertible .357/9mm Blackhawks run with 9mm?
    Name:  blogger-image--524020339.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  blogger-image--1207284708.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  10.0 KB

I think that was at 10 yards.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’m familiar with moon clips from .45 ACRO revolvers.

My concern is reports that S&W uses .357 barrels and that for any real accuracy you need to load custom 9mm loads with .358 bullets.
    I bet there is a PowerPoint at Smith and Wesson that makes this sound like a great idea, but WOW, that's dumb.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List