Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loaning firearms as an interstate transfer

Loaning firearms as an interstate transfer

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    'Illegally transferred?' Does Wisconsin have WA-style laws i.e. I-594/RCW 9.41.113?
    Transferring a firearm from a resident of one state to a resident of another state requires an FFL.

THREAD SPLIT FROM KENOSHA THREAD - BehindBlueI's
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 08-29-2020 at 12:24 PM.

But loaning one to. a friend requires nothing, since it is not a change of ownership (well, unless in a total dingbat state).

Quote Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
    But loaning one to. a friend requires nothing, since it is not a change of ownership (well, unless in a total dingbat state).
    There's no legal concept of loaning, with the exception of "lawful sporting purposes" like going on a hunt in a different state. Otherwise, it's either in your possession or it's not. When people say "I loaned him a gun", they're talking about transferring possession for a temporary period of time.

Whether you intend on giving the weapon back after a period of time vs keeping it permanently is irrelevant to the law as it's still a transfer of possession unless you're physically present with the gun; the most common example being two people going to a shooting range together and shooting each other's guns.

In this case, he's in violation of 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5). It's not a matter of the laws of any "dingbat state", it's a federal law that applies to the entire USA.
    Last edited by TGS; 08-28-2020 at 09:39 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    There's no legal concept of loaning. It's either in your possession or it's not. When people say "I loaned him a gun", they're talking about transferring possession for a temporary period of time.

Whether you intend on giving the weapon back after a period of time vs keeping it permanently is irrelevant to the law as it's still a transfer of possession unless you're physically present with the gun; the most common example being two people going to a shooting range together and shooting each other's guns.
    So, for clarity:
    If I loan one of my rifles to say, one of my grand kids, I have effectively transferred it?
    With no compensation or verbal or written agreement?
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    So, for clarity:
    If I loan one of my rifles to say, one of my grand kids, I have effectively transferred it?
    With no compensation or verbal or written agreement?
    There's some exceptions for bequething and transfers in family that I won't get into here because it's not applicable.

A more clear picture would be:

wvincent comes to visit Virginia. We meet up, and I give you my 3" S&W Model 66 for you to use as a carry gun under the premise of "loaning" it to you, as well as a Shockwave to carry in a bag as a PDW. Whether you're going to give it back to me at the end of your trip is irrelevant; we just violated federal law by conducting 2 transfers in violation of 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).

ETA: If we were both residents of the same state, then it'd be up to state law.

There's some exceptions for bequething and transfers in family that I won't get into here because it's not applicable.

A more clear picture would be:

wvincent comes to visit Virginia. We meet up, and I give you my 3" S&W Model 66 for you to use as a carry gun under the premise of "loaning" it to you, as well as a Shockwave to carry in a bag as a PDW. Whether you're going to give it back to me at the end of your trip is irrelevant; we just violated federal law by conducting 2 transfers in violation of 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).

ETA: If we were both residents of the same state, then it'd be up to state law.
    Gotcha, so for the transfer in the instance of the Kenosha shooting, they needed to have a FFL do a 4473.

By the way, in regards to my "hypothetical visit", thanks for hooking me up with the good stuff!
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

It appears that in some states loaning is legal.

Is the law firm wrong or am I misinterpreting what is being stated?

https://blog-princelaw-com.cdn.amppr...federal-law%2F

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post

https://blog-princelaw-com.cdn.amppr...federal-law%2F
    The blog you linked is correct. It focuses on federal law, and state law may impose additional requirements or prohibitions.

It appears that in some states loaning is legal.
    There's no legal concept of loaning, with the exception of "lawful sporting purposes" like going on a hunt in a different state. Otherwise, it's either in your possession or it's not. When people say "I loaned him a gun", they're talking about transferring possession for a temporary period of time.

In this case, he's in violation of 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5). It's not a matter of the laws of any "dingbat state", it's a federal law that applies to the entire USA.
    Providing security for businesses at a riot is not a sporting purpose.

It was an illegal transfer, regardless of Wisconsin's law.

User Tag List