Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Lubes/Solvents/Chemicals do I need for Gun Cleaning and Maintenance?

Site Supporter

What Lubes/Solvents/Chemicals do I need for Gun Cleaning and Maintenance?

I continue my march through the garage and the like to organize things and clean out. I have 32 different bottles of gun related chemicals.

I am sure folks have their favorite but bare bones what do I need?

• CLP
    • Copper Remover
    • Other Solvent - Simple Green?

I got a king sized bootle of Aero Kroil I think I bought for cleaning AR's but I am not sure anymore.

Let me know your thoughts, while brands are good, I am more interested in just the general types I need.

Thanks folks

Bare bones?

IDK.

I seem to have gotten by lately with a a bottle of Hoppe's #9 from Wally World for cleaning, and a 4oz Slip 2000 EWL for lube. I think I have a can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner, but I only use that on Glocks. Honestly, I've not bought anything for months, now I think about it.

At minimum I’d think a solvent and a lubricant. I buy Hoppes 9 by the pint or quart and Mobil 1 by the quart. I would also want some grease for bolt gun lugs and some copper remover and JB bore paste.

Kroil is amazing stuff. Don’t toss that.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Site Supporter
    Lubrication 101: Gun oil, snake oil, and how to tell the difference.

https://www.cherrybalmz.com/the-basics

(I have a buddy that's a tribologist and he said these pages were close enough. Since I paid nothing for that opinion, that's what it's worth :-))

My choices for the past 15 years or so:

Solvent - Hoppe's #9 before I got into plastic fantastic, Hoppe's #9 Synthetic after getting into polymer frames. Hoppe's copper solvent rarely on a bore.

Lub/Protect/wipe-down/cleaning off solvent - Lubriplate 350-AW (bought a gallon for $30 15 years ago and still have > 2/3 gallon left)

Grease for rails and barrels - non Summer: Lubriplate SFL NLGI #0, summer SFL NLGI #1 (I live in SW USA desert)

My rule of thumb is: anything but RemOil. I have a preference of Ballistol for combloc guns seeing corrosive ammo and a strong preference of Slip 2000 for everything else (especially their heavy EWL30 for carry guns)...but that RemOil stuff is just hot garbage. I used that one time at the work range when nothing else was available, and from now on would rather just let my gun go dirty if it were the only option.

Otherwise, I've been working through a random, assorted supply of Hoppes and various CLPs that I've accumulated over the years....much of it from when I was in college and military with my guns stored off-premises. I had a habit of forgetting my cleaning kit, so I'd have to buy duplicate stuff while out.

It all works fine except for RemOil. If you're going through some zen phase and need to declutter your space and maximize efficiency, I'll take all your random stuff
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Assuming you’ve got a mix of handguns and long guns you want an all-purpose cleaner, bore cleaner, grease and oil. As for specific brands, recommendations vary.

Bare bones minimum? Not ideal but you can probably get by with WD-40 and whatever oil is sitting around your garage.

Pretty much any CLP will work. Research online tests for rust preventative/lubrication. Test was pretty comprehensive. I forgot which forum, but it's findable. That said, I use Weapon Shield on most guns and I'm experimenting with Hornady One Shot cleaner/lube. I like and use both. I've used a lot of the current brands because of their samples policies. They're all pretty good. Most are not perfect in all categories, but acceptable in all. Most are available on Amazon.
    By the way, I like oil for general coating/rust preventative and rotating contact surfaces, and grease for sliding surfaces. Use sparingly.
    Unless it’s life or death related it’s all bullshit.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Hornady One Shot fan plus Mobil 1 when I feel more lube is needed.

Non chlorinated brake cleaner, hose out the weapon outside. Let it dry, relube with Slip2000 EWL
    #RESIST

User Tag List