Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Airline tell FAM he can’t board with American flag mask

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    For those old enough, do you remember the rules governing the use of the American Flag! It was technically against the law to:
    Not take the flag down in the rain
    Leave up over night unless it was illuminated
    Never let it touch the ground
    Not use the symbol partially, I.E. full flag in Flags, Pins etc.
    Not have the Flag printing on clothing.

So if you are a old timer who respects the flag, you should not have it covering your mouth.

Bob
    Yeah. I’m betting Gyro still remembers his flag etiquette. Just a hunch.

I’ll bet he has a few flags with combat time, too.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggerf16 View Post
    Atlanta gate agent. Hmmm.
    Yep!

Things that make you say Hmmm......

Also from my recollection - most of Frontier’s outstation workers are contracted employees which in my considerable airline experience (having been such a contracted employee) gets you workers with a much lower “give a flip” quotient.

Please do not take my post the wrong way. I wear a Flag Pin unless I am dressed ultra casual and fly a U.S. Flag at my house. In respect for the flag, I have never worn a garment with a partial flag on it or any other facsimile of the flag that is not the full thing. I certainly would not use the flag to silence myself by wearing it over my mouth. While I had Covid, I would have infected the flag that I love so much.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I may regret asking this, but if that's not the task, what is?
    To keep the plane out of the hands of the hijackers.

Not a FAM, but if you ever take a Flying Armed class (usually a component with Federal training, but I believe state/local can take it) and have a good instructor... you’ll learn some good stuff.

My coworker, who was a FAM previously, is down in TX on TDY. I’ll try to check in if he knows anything about it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I may regret asking this, but if that's not the task, what is?
    I sent you a PM, Stephanie.

As a pilot (retired) with a legacy carrier, I was always notified when there was an Air Marshall on the plane and who it was as they were armed, but they always tried to blend in and not cause any reason for people to think they were not just another passenger, which also meant not doing anything that may set anyone off or call attention to them.

Bob

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    As a pilot (retired) with a legacy carrier, I was always notified when there was an Air Marshall on the plane and who it was, but they always tried to blend in and not cause any reason for people to think they were just another passenger, which also meant not doing anything that may set anyone off.

Bob
    I’ll try again to state (what I thought was) the obvious.

It seems a departure from the norm to have the wearing/displaying of the American flag be construed by anyone as “doing anything that may set anyone off.”

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    I was thinking along these lines. When acting in an official capacity, especially given the nature of the FAM job description, successful completion of the mission takes priority over offense. There is a real need to be the "gray man" in that role.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    In a time when everyone is offended, and has to tell everyone else they're offended, you're an outlier.

Gate agent is offended by mask, FAM is offended he can't wear his mask, and people here are offended that said incident occurred.

If I were a FAM, and the gate agent didn't like something about me, I'd make as little fuss as possible so I could continue my job, which is to protect passengers, not get offended.
    From the letter:

“The FAM remained professional and acquiesced to the Gate Agent’s request to protect his identity and maintain his team’s undercover status…”
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I’ll try again to state (what I thought was) the obvious.

It seems a departure from the norm to have the wearing/displaying of the American flag be construed by anyone as “doing anything that may set anyone off.”
    Brother, that was then, this is now 2020.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Brother, that was then, this is now 2020.

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List