Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Light Truck Tires

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    If you have a well managed Discount Tire locally you might see if they'll price match.
    Discount Tire has always treated me right when I've had any issues.
    They have been my go to tire shop for years. They’re all over in Arizona with the lifetime repair, free balancing and rotations. I buy the certificates for free replacements. It’s saved me a bunch of money with kids driving on flats or nails in the sidewall. Plus, knock on wood, I can’t think of a bad experience there.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

bumping this just to see if anyone else has opinions. pushed things as far (or further) than I should and need to make a decision.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    bumping this just to see if anyone else has opinions. pushed things as far (or further) than I should and need to make a decision.
    So, when you say light truck tires, are you actually talking about either an 8 ply or a 10 ply light truck tire or are you just talking about anything else in general whether it’s a P rated tire like what came on your truck brand new or an XL or just anything else?

Me personally, the only time I would ever run an 8 or a 10 ply tire is if I was taking my truck on some pretty gnarly dirt roads that weren’t maintained that had sharp rocks, something that I’d want the most protection from punctures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    So, when you say light truck tires, are you actually talking about either an 8 ply or a 10 ply light truck tire or are you just talking about anything else in general whether it’s a P rated tire like what came on your truck brand new or an XL or just anything else?
    There was a time I probably knew what 90% of what you just said meant. That time has passed.

It's a 2wd short bed crew cab Ram 1500 with 20" rims that spends 90% of it's life on pavement, 80% of that on highways, and being in SE Florida about 3/4 of the year on wet roads.
    (funnily enough, I typed that, then scrolled down to see what I wrote in the OP, and saw that it's almost exactly what I wrote before, so it must be right )

if I'm keeping the truck (which it appears that I am) I'd like something longer-lasting and better-wet-pavement-gripping than what came on the truck (which I believe is a Goodyear Wrangler SR-A, according to the Discount Tire website)
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    My answer from late August 2020 to the same question earlier in this thread:

"Late to the party. Concur re Michelins based on 10 years with a 2005 Honda Minivan and 25 years with a Jeep Cherokee Sport.

Costco has been a go to here for good tires/prices/warranty as well."
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Concur re Michelins

Costco has been a go to here for good tires/prices/warranty as well."

It seems that Michelin (presumably along with every other tire manufacturer) has some sort of price fixing going on. No matter where I look Michelin Defender LTX M/S in 275 /60 R20 the price is $237/ea.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Go to tirerack.com. Select your vehicle and then see what "highway all season" tires you like the look of if you don't care about off road capability. Tirerack tests a lot of the tires on a controlled track that includes a wet curves section and will give you a good idea of how various tires perform in different conditions. Even if you don't buy from them, it's a good place to compare price and features of various options.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

RFI: Light Truck Tires

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    There was a time I probably knew what 90% of what you just said meant. That time has passed.

It's a 2wd short bed crew cab Ram 1500 with 20" rims that spends 90% of it's life on pavement, 80% of that on highways, and being in SE Florida about 3/4 of the year on wet roads.
    (funnily enough, I typed that, then scrolled down to see what I wrote in the OP, and saw that it's almost exactly what I wrote before, so it must be right )

if I'm keeping the truck (which it appears that I am) I'd like something longer-lasting and better-wet-pavement-gripping than what came on the truck (which I believe is a Goodyear Wrangler SR-A, according to the Discount Tire website)
    Yeah, the Goodyear SRA’s ain’t nothing but crap. I’m not putting down Goodyear because they do make some pretty good tires but those SRA’s that that they slap on our trucks from the factory are just flat out useless. Which OK, they might be all right for somebody who lives down in southern Arizona that hardly gets any snow or rain but anywhere else, they suck. That’s why when I bought my ram brand new, I got rid of my factory original tires when they only had 1500 miles on them… LOL.

But yeah there’s a lotta good options out there. I currently run the P rated Michelin defenders and I couldn’t be happier. They ride good, they do really well in these Oklahoma downpours that we have and they even do pretty good in the one and only snowstorm that we’ve had since I’ve had my truck… LOL. I don’t really get much better than those. Kind of pricey but, if you want a good tire you’re gonna have to pay for it.

But then again, since your truck is 2 Wheel Dr and I think you mentioned a small percentage of maybe a muddy road or two, without four-wheel-drive, those Michelin defenders might not necessarily be the tire for you. Or, you could do like what some people do with two wheel drives and that’s put like a set of Michelin defenders on the front and then maybe a set of the all-terrain Cooper Discover on the back or something of that nature just so that you got a lot more other traction on your backend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I like round numbers:

Presuming 167 for Brand x and 237 for the michelins = 60 per tire extra x 4 =240.

Presuming 60k (despite the fact that the tires are rated for 80K) tire life. 15k per year =4 yrs on the tires

4x365=1460/ 240.00/ 1460 days= .16 ish cent a day extra over 4 years to run the consensus best tire brand in class/type/application. Fractions of a cent per mile extra.

Is it really that hard to make this call?

Given COVID, you have saved this and more on things you have not bought/places you have not gone and/or the money diff does not put you in a bread on table/roof overhead scenario (if it did, my rec might be be different)

Right about the time you are going down some wet Florida road and somebody with really shitty depth perception pulls out in front of you from a side road, you are going to be really happy you have the best tire on your truck. I would not want to be thinking: "you know, I am really glad I saved money on these tires...I am sure they will stop me and my family just as good as the Michelins..."

Buy the Michelins and literally drive on.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

The Falken A/T3W are going to get a hard look when I need tires.

https://www.falkentire.com/tires/lig...peaka/t3w-tire

They seem like they'd fit the bill in my hilly / mountainous, gravelly, muddy, clay-ey, rainy, occasionally snowy environment.

There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List