Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Light Truck Tires

RFI: Light Truck Tires

I know we've had discussions about this before, and I seem to recall there was some consensus on this but I thought I'd be a snowflake and ask again...

What's the best light truck tire for a 2WD Ram 1500 that spends 90% of it's time on pavement, lots of it highway miles at ~80mph, about 9% on dirt roads, and maybe 1% of time on jobsites and other un-graded dirt? Particularly in SE FL where a fair amount of that road time is wet roads?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Michelin Defenders

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    Michelin Defenders
    Agree 100%.

I had a set of Toyo HTs that lasted and were excellent in water and slush. Only problem was when I went to replace them they weren't available at the time in my size/load range.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Over the last ~15 years with two 4WD trucks and a 4WD SUV, 99% on pavement, we have experienced good performance with Cooper Discoverer H/Ts, Michelin M/S, B F Goodrich All Terrain, Bridgestone Duelers, and more recently Firestone Destinations on our vehicles. These have all been smooth, quiet, trouble free tires for us. All with a street oriented tread, except for the B F Goodrich All Terrains.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock185 View Post
    Cooper Discoverer H/Ts
    ^^^ this ^^^
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    Michelin Defenders
    ^^^^This.

My roomie went from some mid-grade tires on her SUV that her mechanic said he puts on all his cars to Michelin Defenders. The improvement in handling, especially on wet pavement, was very noticeable. Road noise was less, too.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    I like the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus, had them on my 4Runner and now on my GX460. Great all around tire, they wore like iron on the 4Runner.

Name:  IMAG1277R.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  41.3 KB

Name:  IMAG1375R.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  62.1 KB
    "There are two ways to do most anything- right and again."

Michelin LTX have been my go to for the last 20 years. They're quiet, ride great, last a long time (both in high mileage applications and in low mileage applications where UV rays often degrade other tires in 5-7 years), never seem to get flats, & have decent traction on wet, dry, iced, & lightly snowed highway as well as off pavement on dirt, gravel, rock, light snow, & light mud.
    They will get packed with mud & snow in deep slop, but for 99% of my driving they are perfect.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    ^^^^This.

My roomie went from some mid-grade tires on her SUV that her mechanic said he puts on all his cars to Michelin Defenders. The improvement in handling, especially on wet pavement, was very noticeable. Road noise was less, too.
    Eventually, you'll find out they last a long time, too.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List