Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rank ordering handguns in terms of needed gunsmith support

Rank ordering handguns in terms of needed gunsmith support

My apologies if this belongs in another part of the forum, but since it involves both auto pistols and revolvers, I put it here. Mods, please feel free to move it.

If you had to keep a personal defense handgun running reliably for 10 years (assuming it had demonstrated reliability in the first 1K rds), and shoot it an average of 2-3k rds a year during that 10 yr period, and do this by yourself, with no personal ability to fit replacement parts, limited mechanical ability, and no expectation of access to competent gunsmith or armorer support, uncertain factory support, limited to mags holding no more than 10 rds, with an ability to field strip the piece and perhaps detail strip it, how would you rank order these handguns in order of meeting those particular requirements, and why?

The candidates are:

H&K P30L 9mm V1
    G17 gen 4 ( post 2014 vintage)
    Beretta 92X Full Size
    Walther PPS 9mm Classic
    G43
    Ruger GP100 .357
    Ruger SP101 .357
    Ruger LCR .357
    S&W 686+
    S&W 66-8
    Any other candidates you wish to include

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I have extensive experience with the glock (highest round count gen 4 17 over 50k), and the HK (vp9 but essentially the same 20k+). Both have been flawless outside of ammo issues confirmed to be the ammo.

My maintenance schedule for both:

Barrel replacement: 25K rounds, this is early for both platforms, but Id rather do it too early. I always have at least 1 replacement barrel on hand.
    Spring replacement: every 10k rounds. All springs. Much easier to perform on glock.
    Detail strip including sonic cleaning, every 5k rounds.

Also, something I feel is a good idea, but probably isn't strictly necessary. I swap out mags every 1st of the month. I have 8 carry mags for fullsize (2 17 rounders, 6 21 rounders) and half are loaded, half are waiting to be loaded. I only have two for my VP9sk, as I use the 21s as my reloads regardless of which I'm carrying.

I switched full time to the VP9 at the beginning of the year and just prefer it to the glock. That isn't to say that there is anything negative about the glock, the HK just feels better in my hand.

There are plenty of good how to's on youtube about maintenance and disassembly, which is where I learned how to do mine. I don't know if its the same for the p30, but get a largish box (2 foot by 2 foot at least) to disassemble the vp9 in, some of the springs will literally shoot across the room.

This list should be exclusive rather than inclusive, like negative-scoring for a target.

Basically anything modern except the P228, LEM HKs and 1911 meet your requirements.

Only caveat is that for the Glocks you need to procure a blocked mag rather than the factory single-stack 10 round.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    I would probably start by crossing the revolvers off the list, because while they can be reliable if something does go wrong you may be stuck if you can't have a gunsmith fix it.

The top three on your list are pretty good choices I think, although I've read that 10-round double stack Glock mags can be problematic. Someone with more expertise on Glocks can probably answer that question.

Heck, a 1911 chambered in 45ACP or 38 Super could easily make the list assuming it has been vetted as reliable. That round count won't wear out a steel 1911 in ten years and it will continue to run just fine if it is maintained properly. Change the recoil spring every year, the firing pin spring and main spring every other year and it should be good.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    This list should be exclusive rather than inclusive, like negative-scoring for a target.

Basically anything modern except the P228, LEM HKs and 1911 meet your requirements.

Only caveat is that for the Glocks you need to procure a blocked mag rather than the factory single-stack 10 round.
    I'd be very interested to hear more about the LEM HK issues. Because an HK45 or HK45C were the first two guns that jumped into my mind as meeting the OP's requirements, given the magazine limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I'd be very interested to hear more about the LEM HK issues. Because an HK45 or HK45C were the first two guns that jumped into my mind as meeting the OP's requirements, given the magazine limitations.
    The trigger return spring should be replaced every 5,000 rounds or else it's at risk of breakage. Todd documented it pretty well in his P30 series.

So, maybe it still qualifies depending on the OPs level of competence. Not exactly a fitted part, but from what I understand it's kind of a PITA to replace and I honed in on the OPs sense of importance on not requiring armorer support to make that conclusion.

Site Supporter
    @TGS, Just to clarify, and I appreciate you bringing notice to the trigger return string, is this only for LEM pistols?

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFIE View Post
    @TGS, Just to clarify, and I appreciate you bringing notice to the trigger return string, is this only for LEM pistols?
    Yep. The others are unaffected.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Yep. The others are unaffected.
    That only applies to the heavy LEM TRS, right?

I'm 99% certain that it only applies to the heavy LEM TRS, IIRC.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 08-28-2020 at 04:38 PM.

Is this for a potential purchase or just a thought exercise? If it’s for a purchase, the idea of requiring armorer’s support really isn’t something I’d consider outside of a 1911.

If that really is your big fear then best pick whatever one you can buy 2 of. Then you can just have a backup when one goes to the shop. This is the best solution, even if you have to repair it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List