Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ban state pistols

Site Supporter
    It appears that you have good suggestions already.

For the first 8 years that I carried concealed, the federal ban was in effect. I relied primarily on a Glock 26, which remains a favorite choice for concealed carry, and later added a 1911 to have a full-size yet thin gun. More recently, I have had good results with my Sig P365.

The P365 is an issued backup gun for the Indiana State Police. It had some bugs when it was first introduced, but those appear to have been resolved well over a year ago.

I'm from NY as well. Finding 10-round versions of handguns has been annoying over the years - when the M&P 2.0 came out I was one of the first in NYS to get one (I like to believe so anyway..), because my FFL would pin and epoxy the mags. Factory 10-rounders weren't available for almost a year after that - for training I didn't mind using the epoxied mags but for CCW/home defense I would much rather prefer factory.

I have noticed the magazines are tough to load by hand, but I tend to use an UPlula loading device. I have a fullsize M&P 2.0 and compact, along with 1.0 Shield (7/8 round mags there).

edit: to piggyback on the Glock 10 round mag thread - I don't own a Glock but I do have a Ruger PC Carbine that takes Glock mags. I haven't shot it TOO much but haven't noticed any reliability issues with factory and PMag versions.. maybe I got lucky or haven't shot them enough.

2.0 Compact is definitely of interest

48 or a 43X
    Cut 19
    hK45c or uspc

All seem like great options
    Last edited by newyork; 08-28-2020 at 04:02 PM.

Depending on a state, there is such a thing as "pre-ban" magazines.

Somewhat repetitive, but ones I've tried and been happy with (in no particular order) are:

G26.5
    M&P 9c (mine's a 1.0, but accuracy is fine)
    P2000, 2000SK (both Lite LEM)
    P365
    1911 9mm (favorite is a Colt New Agent, worked on by Ned Christiansen, inc. adding sights)

Right now, I'm finding myself carrying the P365 the most, as it will fit (albeit not with the quickest draw) in a pocket holster (being retired, I can wear whatever, and I make sure pants or shorts have non-restricting pockets). That said, it spends about as much time in a JMCK IWB holster. Also, a primary consideration for aging eyes, it's equipped with a red dot.

All the above have been running pretty much flawlessly, but I tend to prefer the single stacks for the thinner profile.
    All the pros/cons of 1911s have been beaten to death; no need to rehash those.

Thinking about putting a dot on the G26, just 'cause it's a fine shooter; much more so than what I can achieve with irons. Now waiting to see if MOS rumors pan out.

If thickness isn't an issue, and you're looking for a low/no maintenance option, I'd go Glock or HK (if one of their many trigger options suits you).

No shortage of good choices. Consider feel, performance, price of extra mags/springs, holster choices, all the normal things. Or the retro cool factor of the 1911.

Isn't California the only state where handguns need to get approved? As long as you aren't talking about a pistol in the sense of a sbr pretty much all pistols are legal in ban states. You just need ten round magazines or stock mags modified. In NY and MA you also need a ten pound trigger pull from the factory which you can mod out when you get the gun. If it's da/sa if the double is more then 10 you are fine.

I'm not sure if the P30sk is on the CA roster or not but if things go sideways, and we are back to 10 rounds, I'll be carrying my V1 lite LEM with the mag extensions. The guns carries so easy and shoots like any of my full size guns. I really is a wonder pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92x View Post
    Isn't California the only state where handguns need to get approved? As long as you aren't talking about a pistol in the sense of a sbr pretty much all pistols are legal in ban states. You just need ten round magazines or stock mags modified. In NY and MA you also need a ten pound trigger pull from the factory which you can mod out when you get the gun. If it's da/sa if the double is more then 10 you are fine.
    That isn't a thing in NY - at least the state, I cannot vouch for NYC which is totally separate from the rest of the state regarding requirements. I've ordered both 10-round and 15+ round versions and have had the FFL pin the mags.

One thing I forgot to mention about 10 round factory mags - for the M&P models anyway...

The Compact version will take mags of the "Fullsize" but it requires a "sleeve" to prevent over-insertion (everyone hates that). Well, on the factory 10-rounders, they have a different "base" of the mag to prevent converting to standard capacity. This means the "sleeve" will slide around and not work well. On the regular 17-rounder (pinned to 10) this isn't an issue.

Name:  mp-mags.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  34.4 KB

I have separate mags for the fullsize and compact, but I know some people like the option for cross compatibility. Just FYI.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92x View Post
    CA is the only state which restricts the models available for sale non LE sales via a roster but MA has a a list of safety requirements including trigger pull weight, loaded chamber indicators etc. All non LE guns made after a certain date must comply with those requirements to be sold in MA. This is why Gen 1 and Gen2 Glocks are the only ones which can be sold to non LE in MA.

NY does not have any trigger pull weight requirements for handguns. Maybe you are confusing the requirements of the NYC police department for duty guns with NY state law.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyCNY View Post
    That isn't a thing in NY - at least the state, I cannot vouch for NYC which is totally separate from the rest of the state regarding requirements. I've ordered both 10-round and 15+ round versions and have had the FFL pin the mags.

One thing I forgot to mention about 10 round factory mags - for the M&P models anyway...

The Compact version will take mags of the "Fullsize" but it requires a "sleeve" to prevent over-insertion (everyone hates that). Well, on the factory 10-rounders, they have a different "base" of the mag to prevent converting to standard capacity. This means the "sleeve" will slide around and not work well. On the regular 17-rounder (pinned to 10) this isn't an issue.

Name:  mp-mags.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  34.4 KB

I have separate mags for the fullsize and compact, but I know some people like the option for cross compatibility. Just FYI.
    The trigger pull weight requirement isn’t a thing in NYC either. That poster seems to be confusing the NYPD’s duty gun regulations with state statutes regarding pistols.

User Tag List