Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USPc vs P2000 compact?

USPc vs P2000 compact?

Both of these have come up in several threads recently. Not being terribly well versed in the ways of HK, are there any significant differences between them? My understanding is the P2000 was supposed to be an improvement over the USP (or a product improved USP?)

I'm not exactly looking to get into one but if I ran across one or the other at a good price, I'd kind of like to know what I should be looking at and what I should know about each to help make an informed decision.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Look for old posts by @HCM regarding the USPc to P2000 transition at his agency.

I have large hands and find that the control lever on the USPc hammers my thumb knuckle, raising a blister if I shoot long enough. Not an issue with LEM, obviously. I have modified a control lever by chamfering the troublesome corner to avoid or reduce the contact, but haven't been shooting enough with covid to really evaluate it.

P2000 moves the decocker to the back of the slide, but I like keeping the compact the same as the full size guns. I notice the P2000 is the only HK I'm aware of with swappable backstraps where the large actually wraps up into the curve of the frame and increases the LOP at the top of the grip.

If I was more interested in the question, I'd go through parts lists for the fire control groups and see what parts are shared and what are different. They use the same mags.

I like USPc better. If you were in Houston, you'd be welcome to shoot mine.

As for what to look for, I'd stay away from police trades that have a lot of marks on the right side of the frame. Probably fine, but no reason to put up with that, as you won't save much money by settling. Some police trades look just as nice and clean as civvie guns. Hard to imagine any USP in 9mm getting actually worn out. One might need a new recoil spring; I've put them in two USPs I bought used ('90s guns), and the difference made clear that it was a needed service.

I've had half a notion to buy a backup USPc, and prices are all over the map right now. Some sell for silly money and I can't figure out why. Others sell for about what I'd have expected them to go for six months ago.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 08-29-2020 at 08:52 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Thanks, I'll start looking for those posts.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If I was more interested in the question, I'd go through parts lists for the fire control groups and see what parts are shared and what are different.
    No need for that, I'm not that interested and it's my question. This is more because I'm seeing things show up in shops that don't normally show up around here and I need some 101 level education. My HK experience is limited to a fling with a full size USP45 10+ years ago and another with a P30 within the past couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I've had half a notion to buy a backup USPc, and prices are all over the map right now. Some sell for silly money and I can't figure out why. Others sell for about what I'd have expected them to go for six months ago.
    Sounds like everything else right now.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    No experience with the P2000, but plenty with the USPc. It is the single most reliable pistol I own, or have ever owned. Period. The earlier USPc had an issue with firing pin design/breakage. Mine took a crap at about 25K. Armorer replaced with updated version. It went another 25K+. Not sure on the serial number range on that anymore, but circa 2004-ish.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

USPc vs P2000 compact?

I would try both and see which you prefer, as the practical differences are few:

Grip shape/changeability.

Decocker position.

Thumb safety option.

Ambi slide release.

The P2000 is supposed to be an improvement in all these areas (unless a thumb safety is desired). However, some people dislike the ambi slide release and decocker options due to individual ergonomics. The only way to find out is shoot both if you can.

I like the USPc for looks, but being a lefty, the P2000 wins. Function wise they’re nearly identical, and many parts are interchangeable. Used to you could find a P2000 much cheaper than a USPc, which may also be a factor.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I've got both. The USP is a carry/edc gun and I've shot it quite a bit. The P2000 is kind of a back up to the back up 9mm I got because I had the opportunity to buy it cheap. Both are LEMs. The reset on the USPc is noticeably shorter than on the P2000. The USPc's grips fit my hands well but they are what they are while the P2000 gives you back strap options. Some people find the aggressive checkering on the USPc a little too much, the P2000 has more of a "sandpaper" texture. The P2000 has ambidextrous controls while the USPc is configurable for ambidextrous controls (although I believe the slide release is only on the left). I also have a USPc in .45 but it isn't a apples or apples comparison as it's a little bigger of a frame. The USPc has the blocky Teutonic styling of the USP that some may love or hate, the P2000 has a more streamlined styling.

All in all I consider both of them both excellent compact pistols. I like the LEM trigger on a defensive gun but it might not be for everyone. I would basically say get the one you like better or if all things are equal, buy the one you can get cheapest and paperless (if able).
    Last edited by Suvorov; 08-29-2020 at 11:46 PM.

This thread https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-Observations

has some speculation that the P2000 may be discontinued now that DHS is transitioning to Glock. I hope that's not the case, because I'm a huge P2000 fan. I would like a USPc also, but I've pretty much dedicated myself to P2000 and P2000sk LEM.
    Last edited by Mark D; 08-30-2020 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    This thread https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-Observations

has some speculation that the P2000 maybe discontinued now that DHS is transitioning to Glock. I hope that's not the case, because I'm a huge P2000 fan. I would like a USPc also, but I've pretty much dedicated myself to P2000 and P2000sk LEM.
    It’s entirely speculation.

HK imports come in waves. With the VP9 being it’s best seller (citation needed), that’s going to be their focus for exports to the U.S. Less popular items usually come in more limited quantities, and come in less frequently.

There is a local store that has a used P2000sk in .40 S&W for $500 that has been there since 2013. I keep thinking about buying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    It’s entirely speculation.

HK imports come in waves. With the VP9 being it’s best seller (citation needed), that’s going to be their focus for exports to the U.S. Less popular items usually come in more limited quantities, and come in less frequently.

There is a local store that has a used P2000sk in .40 S&W for $500 that has been there since 2013. I keep thinking about buying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Heck, if it's been there that long, I'd be tempted to throw out a low ball offer.

The USP has a convertible lever with a lot of options. Myself I prefer decock-only, no safety. The nice thing is in semi-auto handguns I have Beretta, and HK USP. So the lever setup I can rig to be very consistent across the brands. I also happen to love the feel of the USP grips and the way they fire. So I would buy another USP variant before any other HK based on the 3 that I have.

I was always kind of intrigued by the P2000 also. But I would not consider it an improvement to a USP. More like an alternative that was produced to meet the spec of a certain law enforcement agency. But the standard rail might be handy if you are a pistol-mounted-light person, the USP is kind of out on a limb there by itself.

User Tag List