Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommend first pistol purchase for total noob

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Yes.

Something like that to practice. Also realize for the next six months or so, the ability to acquire firearms and ammunition is...limited at best.

You need to go to some local matches and see what really tickles your fancy. Here are some:

*Steel Challenge or falling steel matches. USPSA or nonstandard local match. I HIGHLY recommend for a new shooter. Its just fund and the feedback is literally instantaneous when you hear the ping. Also can usually shoot .22s!

*IDPA aka waddle and shoot. Good for beginners with a greater focus on less expensive firearms.

*USPSA aka run and gun. This is for mostly younger competitors who like to run around and shoot fast. Can get expensive quickly even if you stick to Production.

*NRA action matches. I never see so can't say.

What region are you in?
    Steel Challenge with a .22 is probably the easiest way to get started in competition.

Get in touch with the USPA/IDPA folks at your club, and tell them you池e a new shooter who wants to learn about competitive shooting. You値l get a lot of help. You値l probably get invitations to come shoot.

GSSF matches, if you have any near you, are designed to be beginner-friendly.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

If I was suddenly dropped into a world, as myself today, in which I had no pistol and acquiring each pistol was a PITA requiring its own permission slip, I would find a Sig P250. The grip module system allows one serialized part to be used as everything from a subcompact to a full-size. Grip modules and magazines are current production and supported by Sig, even though the P250 isn't. Carry gear, if that matters, is well supported. Triggers are sweet. Grip angle is reasonably like a Buck Mark, too. The non-hipster version of this would be a P320, but go find the currently active thread on those to begin learning why not many people around here will recommend one.
    If I were dropped out of the sky onto a planet with BS 10 round limits, I would immediately go out and buy a Glock 48. You can even buy a 43/43X top end for carry, if you prefer and/or it's legal.

Site Supporter
    There are so many great pistols on the market right now. Asking which pistol shouldn't you buy might be an easier question. I've put ~500 round, I think, through my Beretta APX and so far the ten round magazines have proven reliable. 500 rounds is not a lot of rounds, but the APX pistols seem to be a great value. I have a Ruger 22/45 and several Glocks, so those would be my first answer, but certainly not the only right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Steel Challenge with a .22 is probably the easiest way to get started in competition.

Get in touch with the USPA/IDPA folks at your club, and tell them you池e a new shooter who wants to learn about competitive shooting. You値l get a lot of help. You値l probably get invitations to come shoot.

Agree, but a .22 will only be usable in Steel Challenge; in IDPA/USPSA min caliber of .38 would eliminate it. We had a bunch of new shooters last Friday night at my local USPSA match; all were U in Production. They shot well, a coupled place above me even (I was 5 out of 7 P shooters at the 23 person match).

Two in my squad were shooting standard Glock 17s, with the factory plastic sights. Another had a USP compact, DA/SA. They were having a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post

Agreed.
    Learning range commands and getting a little stress test with rimfire is a great way to start competing.

And everyone should own a good 22 pistol and rifle.

User Tag List