Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend first pistol purchase for total noob

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I always pipe up when people are talking about the Ruger Mk pistols and suggest the Buck Mark. Barrels are non-serialized and swappable, so you can completely reconfigure the gun without any administrative overhead. Used or new barrels are much cheaper, both as a consequence and facilitator. I find them easy to work on, and like them quite a bit. Deals can usually be found on Gun Broker and around Black Friday. Browning usually offers rebates a couple times a year. I think it's $25 right now. I think I've seen $50, but wouldn't expect that again soon.

Glocks are boring guns, so you have to make the shooting the interesting part. Hard to go wrong with a G34, especially if you're unlikely to be allowed to carry it. Except, and I don't think this has been discussed yet, if you have draconian acquisition restrictions, you may have magazine limits. In which case, Glocks are sub-optimal. The 10-round mags are known for less than perfect reliability.

If I was suddenly dropped into a world, as myself today, in which I had no pistol and acquiring each pistol was a PITA requiring its own permission slip, I would find a Sig P250. The grip module system allows one serialized part to be used as everything from a subcompact to a full-size. Grip modules and magazines are current production and supported by Sig, even though the P250 isn't. Carry gear, if that matters, is well supported. Triggers are sweet. Grip angle is reasonably like a Buck Mark, too. The non-hipster version of this would be a P320, but go find the currently active thread on those to begin learning why not many people around here will recommend one.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 08-26-2020 at 07:39 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I know glock is getting a lot of recommendations, so I won't pile on there. The other option to look at might be Smith and Wesson M&Ps, especially if you take a look at some of the recent threads on the CORE option that would be the other recommendation.

Either S&W or Glock offers a lot of benefits when it comes to availability and cheaper price for parts such as sights, mags, gear such as holsters, and if you ever want to get something for self defense you can get something in the non-competition line and still have overlap in a lot of the same gear. That, and the price for the pistols to begin with are relatively lower than a lot of other options.

Site Supporter
    What RJ said.

Factor in class, 2000 rounds of ammo, belt, holster, and 15 standard capacity mags and 5 high capacity mags to the investment.

Read PF. 1000 dry presses with presentation.

Then assess.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I always pipe up when people are talking about the Ruger Mk pistols and suggest the Buck Mark.
    I'll take a look, thanks.

you may have magazine limits. In which case, Glocks are sub-optimal. The 10-round mags are known for less than perfect reliability.
    Oh god, no. In that case forget it. I do have a 10-round limit. The top two reasons I was even remotely interested in a glock were 1) reliability and 2) share mags with the Carbine. If the mags don't work flawlessly it's the worst idea ever.

From everything I've read (thanks everyone!) I'll likely start with a 22lr right out of the gate. While practicing with that, I'll start renting / borrowing 9mm's until I learn enough to know which works best for me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    If you want a Glock 34, buy a Glock 34. It's an easy gun to shoot and (during normal riot-free times) cheap to get into.

If you want a 22LR for practice, get a Glock 44 for commonality. They are about as reliable as rimfire pistols get and have much better ergos vs the Ruger.

ETA: don't worry about getting bored with the 34. It's a completely capable competition gun. Start shooting production in USPSA. If you get bored, get into Carry Optics and put a red dot on top. There are plenty of dudes who shred with a basic Glock at a very high level in USPSA.
    This, is the way.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    If you want a Glock 34, buy a Glock 34. It's an easy gun to shoot and (during normal riot-free times) cheap to get into.

If you want a 22LR for practice, get a Glock 44 for commonality. They are about as reliable as rimfire pistols get and have much better ergos vs the Ruger.

ETA: don't worry about getting bored with the 34. It's a completely capable competition gun. Start shooting production in USPSA. If you get bored, get into Carry Optics and put a red dot on top. There are plenty of dudes who shred with a basic Glock at a very high level in USPSA.
    And if I go M&P.... Something like the M&P 22?
    Last edited by matto; 08-26-2020 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    Yes. I have an M&P 9 as my primary carry gun and an M&P 22 as a trainer. The M&P 22 also happens to be my favorite firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    Yes. I have an M&P 9 as my primary carry gun and an M&P 22 as a trainer. The M&P 22 also happens to be my favorite firearm.
    If I didn't already have a significant amount of money in Glocks and was starting over, 9mm M&Ps with a M&P22 would probably be on the top of my list. Especially since they seem to have functional 10-round magazines.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Buy a Glock 44. It will give you all the mechanics/weapons handling skills of a "real" Glock without worrying about developing the flinchies from starting on 9mm. I have one, my buddy has one, and EVERYONE who shoots it thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread.

As a absolutely new pistol shooter, recoil control is pretty low on the totem pole for skills I'd worry about. You need to learn grip, stance, trigger press, sight alignment/sight picture ALL before you really need to worry about recoil control.

Learn all your basics on the G44, then "up gun" to a 19/17/34/45 whatever floats your boat.

Having said all that, I would submit that getting training from an actual certified, competent trainer WAY outweighs darn near any equipment issue. If the option was buying a G34 and teaching yourself, or getting a G44 and spending a weekend with a GOOD trainer, I'd go for the latter. Getting the G34 AND a weekend with a GOOD trainer would be mo' bettah-er, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    If I didn't already have a significant amount of money in Glocks and was starting over, 9mm M&Ps with a M&P22 would probably be on the top of my list. Especially since they seem to have functional 10-round magazines.
    Yes.

Something like that to practice. Also realize for the next six months or so, the ability to acquire firearms and ammunition is...limited at best.

You need to go to some local matches and see what really tickles your fancy. Here are some:

*Steel Challenge or falling steel matches. USPSA or nonstandard local match. I HIGHLY recommend for a new shooter. Its just fund and the feedback is literally instantaneous when you hear the ping. Also can usually shoot .22s!

*IDPA aka waddle and shoot. Good for beginners with a greater focus on less expensive firearms.

*USPSA aka run and gun. This is for mostly younger competitors who like to run around and shoot fast. Can get expensive quickly even if you stick to Production.

*NRA action matches. I never see so can't say.

What region are you in?

User Tag List