Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend first pistol purchase for total noob

Recommend first pistol purchase for total noob

I'm a total noob looking to try out competition shooting. Which direction should I go on my first pistol purchase?

I've seen some recommendations to start with 22lr, like a Ruger Mark IV (Target with bull barrel?). Logic being: it's good for beginners to learn the fundamentals, ammo is cheaper, and everyone should own a Ruger Mark IV

Is that the unanimous, undisputed advice? Or is the reality that people who start with 22lr get bored quickly and immediately upgrade to 9mm? I must admit my 10/22 isn't as fun as my Ruger PCC. I could also see just buying a Glock 34 and a sh!t ton of magazines that I can share with my Ruger PCC. Then, once I demonstrate a basic level of competence I begin thinking about whether I want something less boring than a Glock.

I'll be joining a club near me that does a bit of everything. Steel Challenge, IDPA, USPSA, 2700. I cant' join yet though because I don't yet have my pistol permit. (It's been in process 8 months now, and I'm I have 2-3 left. So this is all just pre-planning and living vicariously while I pass the time waiting for the permit to arrive)

If you want a Glock 34, buy a Glock 34. It's an easy gun to shoot and (during normal riot-free times) cheap to get into.

If you want a 22LR for practice, get a Glock 44 for commonality. They are about as reliable as rimfire pistols get and have much better ergos vs the Ruger.

ETA: don't worry about getting bored with the 34. It's a completely capable competition gun. Start shooting production in USPSA. If you get bored, get into Carry Optics and put a red dot on top. There are plenty of dudes who shred with a basic Glock at a very high level in USPSA.

Welcome!

I can’t speak for IDPA, but you won’t be able to shoot USPSA with a .22.

What sort of pistol shooting have you done previously?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Welcome!
    Thanks!

What sort of pistol shooting have you done previously?
    Almost nothing. A little plinking with family and friends many years back. My state makes it a pain to even be allowed to touch a pistol. But I finally went through the process, so it's time to learn for real.

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    Thanks!

Almost nothing. A little plinking with family and friends many years back. My state makes it a pain to even be allowed to touch a pistol. But I finally went through the process, so it's time to learn for real.
    Gotcha.

The default answer to ‘what Pistol’ is usually a Glock 19 and a couple cases of ammo.

It works, the Gen 5 versions are well sorted out, parts are cheap, accessories available, and you can buy magazines in vending machines. If it doesn’t work out you can probably get out of it pretty easily.

Ok, kidding about the mags but absent no other factors, like freakishly small hands, a Gen 5 Glock 19 is a pretty strong contender for a really good solid first pistol.

I am an advocate of starting with a .22 because it allows one to learn the basics with lower costs and without recoil masking issues. As far as outgrowing .22, I have been shooting for only forty-seven years, and I still shoot more .22 than anything else. I am averaging 500 rounds of .22 a week and fifty to hundred rounds of 9x19 and/or .45 ACP.

The Ruger Mark IV is a good choice for a new handgun shooter as it is reliable, fun to shoot, and low cost. The best value is the SKU 40107, which is a blued 5.5" Target on the 22/45 frame. They are available for between $300 and $350. And while my Ruger pistols go back to 1951, I have a 2020-vintage 40107 which I am shooting.

Gotcha.

The default answer to ‘what Pistol’ is usually a Glock 19 and a couple cases of ammo.

It works, the Gen 5 versions are well sorted out, parts are cheap, accessories available, and you can buy magazines in vending machines. If it doesn’t work out you can probably get out of it pretty easily.

Ok, kidding about the mags but absent no other factors, like freakishly small hands, a Gen 5 Glock 19 is a pretty strong contender for a really good solid first pistol.
    None of this is wrong, but since the OP only mentioned competition and not carry, a G17 or G34 may make more sense. Longer grip, longer sight radius, heavier all add up to being easier to shoot fast while maintaining accuracy.

In which case the G48 may scratch this itch...said the guy with small hands.

absent no other factors, like freakishly small hands
    Hah. No small hands here. I wear XL gloves. Sometimes L, but usually XL.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    As far as outgrowing .22, I have been shooting for only forty-seven years, and I still shoot more .22 than anything else.
    Wow, well if that's not a solid endorsement of 22lr, I don't know what is.

The Ruger Mark IV is a good choice for a new handgun shooter as it is reliable, fun to shoot, and low cost. The best value is the SKU 40107, which is a blued 5.5" Target on the 22/45 frame. They are available for between $300 and $350.
    That's the one I was thinking. At that price it's hard to pass up. Only need to shoot a little over a thousand rounds before the money saved = free gun.

I'm not sure what state you're in, but I know some of the northeast states make each individual handgun purchase a real pain.

One way to hack that system is to buy a 9mm Glock pistol, then buy a .22 conversion kit for it. The conversion kit will cost pretty much the same as a .22 pistol, but then you'll only have to deal with The State once.

Another idea is to buy a .40 caliber Glock. I'm not a big proponent of .40 S&W in general, but you can buy a .40 Glock, and there are 9mm conversion barrels that are supposed to work reasonably well, but I've no direct experience. That also makes .357 SIG an option. None of those two calibers offer any real advantage over 9mm, except they may be sporadically more available at times.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List