Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig P320 issue (bent ejector)

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    So help me to understand: Is this an issue when using full-size (17 or 21 rd magazines) in a COMPACT grip module, or is it concurrently an issue when using 17 or 21 round magazines in a FULL-SIZE/CARRY grip module?

From my reading of this and the Brian Enos thread, it seems the problem occurs with the larger-capacity magazines (17 and/or 21 round) with a Compact module, or with 21 round magazines in a Full-Size grip module.
    It was a 21 round mag inserted into a 15 round compact X frame, during a slide lock re load. I did not jam it in that hard to begin with, but once I malfunctioned I kept “tap racking”, and I am sure my “tap” was a damn firm tap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Looks like the chain of command want the pistol shipped back to our national firearms unit, and they want Sig to replace it. So I will have to wait until after the Hurricane to handle this.

I will let you all know if I get the same gun back, or if Sig balks. This is a personal purchase duty gun, but since our agency bough 20,000 p320s, I assume we have some stroke with SIG corporate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    It was a 21 round mag inserted into a 15 round compact X frame, during a slide lock re load. I did not jam it in that hard to begin with, but once I malfunctioned I kept “tap racking”, and I am sure my “tap” was a damn firm tap.
    Yeah, a classic cause of problems. I suppose you could do the same thing to, say, a P229 with a 226 mag. However, the 229 ejector is strong, and replaceable. Not so much on the 320 FCU.

Glad it didn’t happen to you when you NEEDED it to go bang.

Looks like the chain of command want the pistol shipped back to our national firearms unit, and they want Sig to replace it. So I will have to wait until after the Hurricane to handle this.

I will let you all know if I get the same gun back, or if Sig balks. This is a personal purchase duty gun, but since our agency bough 20,000 p320s, I assume we have some stroke with SIG corporate.
    If fed.gov cannot get SIG to replace your pistol, no one can. I am pleased the national firearms unit is taking the issue seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Mostly.

Of course in the real world, (vs the USPSA fantasy world where people carry 9 magazines and intentionally disable slide locks) people do slide lock reloads.
    I'm not sure I've even seen a single stack shooter with *9* mags, but 6-shot revolvers, all bets are off.

That said, I've definitely done slide lock reloads in production division. Sure, you try to avoid it, but sometimes you take extra shots, sometimes the stage plan just works out that way.

As others have said, this issue is common to a lot of pistols - my personal experience is that Walther actually went so far as to make a slight change to the design of P99/PPQ mags in order to lessen the chance of it happening - there's a little cutout at the top of the mag right where it gets closest to the ejector. It probably wouldn't completely save you if you really slammed a full size mag into the compact gun sans sleeve, but I imagine it greatly reduces the incidence of actually breaking things.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Not at all trying to stir the pot but I found this informative:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...over-insertion.

I really, really want to like the 320 but am glad that I am an old curmudgeon and resisted change. I see so much potential in this platform but it is outshined by documented problems.

Hopefully SIG will replace yours, but it doesn't bode well for anyone who doesn't have large agency juice. I have an irrational desire to try a 320, but reasons not to keep cropping up.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Hopefully SIG will replace yours, but it doesn't bode well for anyone who doesn't have large agency juice. I have an irrational desire to try a 320, but reasons not to keep cropping up.
    The simple solution is not to slam a too-long mag into the pistol at slide lock. Once one knows about the consequences, it’s easy to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    The simple solution is not to slam a too-long mag into the pistol at slide lock. Once one knows about the consequences, it’s easy to avoid.
    If I understand what you're saying, and I may be too simple minded, so correct me if I'm wrong. I wouldn't be able to carry longer/higher capacity mags or I'd have to be delicate with them in a worst case scenario.

Another option would be to carry a pistol that will accept long mags without concern about failure.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    The simple solution is not to slam a too-long mag into the pistol at slide lock, in an attempt to make it auto forward.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List