Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Sig P320 issue (bent ejector)

Got an Return authorization number and a FedEx label a few min ago from SIG.

The say they are “fixing it”. Which I was told means replacing. If it is just bending it back, I can do that myself. But so far, it looks like they mean to replace it. I will keep you posted.

SIDE NOTE:
    According to our Nation Armory, I am the 4th gun out of 12k currently issued pistols to have this issue. (We have a contract for Up to 20k total, just 12k in the field so far) So pretty minimal chances.

We have also had two extractor launch themselves from slides in one week. Factory ammo, no blown case head. So I dont know how this was possible. I was not present for either event, so I did not get to diagnose or do a post mortem. When I ask questions like, “so there was still brass in the chamber, and you had a double feed? Was the brass in the chamber bulged or split? Any primer flattening or flow?” I just get a blank stare. An instructor used a multi tool to get the spend brass out of the chamber. Shooter said he thought he saw a piece on the ground that could be part of the gun, but was not sure. He went to the range the next day and found the perfectly intact extractor on the ground.

Strange thing is, shooter had this happen... they Pulled his pistol, issued him a new one the next day, he goes to the range to qual with the new pistol and managed to have the extractor self remove on a second pistol! The chances of a coincidence are astronomical. Neither extractor “broke”, and they could both be popped back into place and continued to function. No visible cause could be fund. I 100% believe the shooter that he has never detail stripped the pistol (he is not a gun guy).
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

I'm wondering if there's a systemic manufacturing/assembly/component issue-especially if both pistols were from the same production lot/timeframe. Best, Jon

I’d be suspect of the assembly of the extractor plunger assembly. The extractor is retained by a shelf on the plunger and it can technically be assembled with the plunger rotated incorrectly. Extremely unlikely that two in a row would be assembled incorrectly, but that’s the only explanation I can think of for a non-catastrophic cause.

Edit- this failure mode was specifically mentioned in my factory armorer class on 8/31/20.
    Last edited by DpdG; 09-16-2020 at 04:59 PM.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    We have also had two extractor launch themselves from slides in one week. Factory ammo, no blown case head. So I dont know how this was possible.
    Not only possible, but has occurred elsewhere.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I cleaned my P320's slide including the extractor and reassembled it incorrectly. When I loaded at a match the extractor popped out, fortunately the R.O. observed it and I was able to retrieve it. I put it back together correctly and have about 5-600 rounds through it since without issue. Entirely my fault. So I am somewhat inclined to believe that incorrect assembly may be a culprit here.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Not only possible, but has occurred elsewhere.
    Details? PM if not appropriate for public...
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

So, I got the gun back from SIG yesterday. Same slide/barrel/grip module, new FCU.

The good:
    Sig Customer service guy was very polite, and promptly responded to all my emails and calls. Zero complaints, and one of the better customer service experiences I heave had.
    No cost to me for all the shipping and work.
    I asked SIG to sell me a “PRO” cut slide since my agency is beta testing RDS for the troops, and they gave me a good deal.

The Meh:
    It took a while. But SIG is a big company and I am far from the only customer with an issue.
    I sent in just the pistol, and was near expecting they would send it back with a complimentary mag inserted. Nope.
    (Not a huge deal or ding on SIG, but let’s just say when my M&P .40 went back to Smith, it may have come back with a free mag)

The OCD nitpick side of me that has nothing to do with the repair:
    I am a guy who always wants the original box and papers with a gun. I sent in my old gun(Serialized FCU), and asked to make sure I got back a box with the new FCU’s serial number and bar code, so I would have it for the “new” pistol. They complied.... but they stuck the label on a cardboard shipping box, not on the black plastic box a pistol normally comes in. I can’t get the sticker off to put on the spare black plastic Sig box I have. Totally irrelevant to my original issue. Just a nit pick because I am strange like that....

I have not fired it yet, but I am sure it will run fine just like before, I just have to be wary of using the right mags for the frame I instal.

@Gadfly

I'm glad that the experience was good with their CS getting your gun fixed and back.

I still think it is completely unacceptable that a part that takes about 3 min or less to change on a Glock, 20 min on a Browning Hi Power or SIG P226, or an hour or so to fit on a 1911 took over a month to fix on a SIG and required a new serialized part.

User Tag List